Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
I assume you mean Sean Walker… not this guy Scott Walker (b.1973) Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Being a GM sure is easy when you can sign guys for less money and term than they sign for with other teams.
Right, I messed that up. I'd have given Walker $500k or even $1M above what he got in Carolina. Carrier would have been a good target as well.

Dillon was dumbfounded that he wasn't re-signed here. So I don't think we'd have to offer him more than what he took from the Devils.

Reactions: TommyKillian

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Right, I messed that up. I'd have given Walker $500k or even $1M above what he got in Carolina. Carrier would have been a good target as well.

Dillon was dumbfounded that he wasn't re-signed here. So I don't think we'd have to offer him more than what he took from the Devils.
chevy said he was right there on dillon/monahan so I think we would have had to do more

Reactions: SCP Guy

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
With the UFA overspending day passed, I think teams will now pivot and look at their depth charts and we'll see if any of them this that they have a long term hole in the middle six on the wing that Ehlers would fill at his projected cap hit

I've seen a couple of posts here suggesting that he's worth 8M, and if that's the case then you can expect him to either play out his contract here and walk or he'll be worth a rental return (late 1st, meh prospect)

I get that he's a darling in certain circles but the reality is that he's a 60 point winger approaching 30

I'd love for Chevy to extend him in low high 6M/low 7M range, and I'd imagine that's roughly what GMs think he's worth.

Is it too soon to see what evolving-hockey has projected for him? That's generally where the contracts that Chevy offers land, and could give some insight into the ballpark where he'd end up

Any subscribers?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

It only took $100,000 more to get Dillon to sign with NJ... diff between last year Jets and what he signed in NJ...

Dillon said he was upset he wasn't "prioritized" and that was a big factor. According to one of the usual reporters, I can find it if necessary.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I agree on the Monahan deal. Would have liked him back but nowhere near that length. Does anyone really think were a playoff team with Namestnikov centering our 2nd line??
We were a playoff team with Namestnikov centering a top-3 line for most of last season...

Without Monahan: 30-12-5 (0.691 points %)

With Monahan: 22-12-1 (0.643 points %)

The question is whether the Jets are a true contender without a better 2C. I think not, and I think Chevy will need to address that through a trade, or maybe with an internal solution (Vilardi, Perfetti, Lambert). But Monahan was obviously not the answer.

I'm fine if the Jets go into the season with Scheifele, Lowry and Namestnikov (or Vilardi or Perfetti) as their Cs, and then see how the season progresses and perhaps making a deal within the season to acquire a higher-end C.

I also think they might be able to address their 2C situation with a McGroarty trade, but the value has to be right.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It only took $100,000 more to get Dillon to sign with NJ... diff between last year Jets and what he signed in NJ...
Right, but the Jets had Dillon at 3.9M up to age 33. NJ is paying him a bit more for ages 34-36.

Also, the Jets didn't have Samberg ready to play that role before, but he's ready to take on those responsibilities now, at a lower cap hit (for now) and with a likelihood that he can still improve.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
We were a playoff team with Namestnikov centering a top-3 line for most of last season...

The question is whether the Jets are a true contender without a better 2C. I think not, and I think Chevy will need to address that through a trade, or maybe with an internal solution (Vilardi, Perfetti, Lambert). But Monahan was obviously not the answer.

I'm fine if the Jets go into the season with Scheifele, Lowry and Namestnikov (or Vilardi or Perfetti) as their Cs, and then see how the season progresses and perhaps making a deal within the season to acquire a higher-end C.

I also think they might be able to address their 2C situation with a McGroarty trade, but the value has to be right.
This might be a tough pill for us to swallow, but I think we already have a perfect 2C - Mark Schiefele

The reality is that he was in the mid-20s for scoring as a C last year and had difficulty with most of his match-ups defensively

It'll be very difficult to win a cup vs teams that have a Barkov or McDavid with him as 1C, but I don't see an alternative/upgrade on the horizon

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
I would assume the Jets offered Dillon a similar dollar figure, maybe even slightly more but less term (2 years). Dillon is a good player but 4 years is a lot of term to give a player who will be almost 34 when this season starts
Team got a lot softer with Dillon gone too. Not a lot of size/grit/toughness on the backend. Even less with Heinola penciled into the lineup.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Looking ay NYR's roster and cap and thinking they must be moving Kakko at some point. They have about $8m in space, maybe $10m if they can shift The People's Elbow to Detroit. They have Lindgren and Schneider RFA this year and Shesterkin and Miller (and Kakko) next year. And not a lot coming off the books.

A deal around McGroarty and Kakko makes sense. They'd need to add.

Maybe McGroarty and Kupari for Kakko and Othmann.

Love to see Rutger and his Lying Eyes on Broadway!
Kakko is underwhelming and I’m not sure what to make of Othmann though I did like him during his draft year.

ultimately the best return is the most important thing, but part of me would like to see him go to a perennial loser like Columbus.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Looking ay NYR's roster and cap and thinking they must be moving Kakko at some point. They have about $8m in space, maybe $10m if they can shift The People's Elbow to Detroit. They have Lindgren and Schneider RFA this year and Shesterkin and Miller (and Kakko) next year. And not a lot coming off the books.

A deal around McGroarty and Kakko makes sense. They'd need to add.

Maybe McGroarty and Kupari for Kakko and Othmann.

Love to see Rutger and his Lying Eyes on Broadway!
Screw that McGro for Schneider

enuffidiotsalready

Nov 25, 2019
I assume you mean Sean Walker… not this guy Scott Walker (b.1973) Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Being a GM sure is easy when you can sign guys for less money and term than they sign for with other teams.
and, i would add,

and again, it's a lot easier, and it's a process,

but when, you know , there's no competition for the players either,

ie. in the vaccuum between the ears of the average armchair GM- why doesn't Chevy even try amirite?

HellebuyckOurSaviour

Apr 8, 2014
Winnipeg
I put this as a trade a couple pages back, what do you guys think?

What about Ehlers/McGroarty/Pionk to NYI for Nelson/Pulock/Maggio/Danny Nelson?

We would get Nelson as our 2c, Pulock could play either 1st or 2nd line RD, and have 2 prospects who could help out on the Moose

NYI would get their speedy winger (who after next season could resign him to a long-term contract), Pionk who would be their 2nd line RD, and McGroarty could possibly have his wish on being in their lineup for the 25-26 season. They would also get a bit more cap space (not much but still helps them)

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

I will dub it the Names Singularity.

Ehlers and Perfetti were producing with Namestnikov - Nino, Names, Ehlers was a very solid line two seasons ago... his face-offs are terrible but he plays the system the way the coach wants - and that trickles down. I would be fine going into this season with him at 2C - as long as Perfetti or Lambert were on that line and ACTUALLY learning how to be an NHL centre.

I actually think there is less pressure to win in the regular season this year - there was a lot last year with the season ticket debacle... and more pressure to find the right mix for the playoffs or at least see that there's a plan.

Start the season with Names... and hope that your trade deadline 'acquisition' is one of Lambert or Perfetti as your 2C moving forward.

Get the 4th line real minutes... develop Gus/Barron as C and give them a shot higher up the lineup. Still think Barron has untapped potential for mid six role.

CSV
Names-Lambert-Perfetti
Nino-Lowry-Apples
Gus-Barron-Kupari

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Team got a lot softer with Dillon gone too. Not a lot of size/grit/toughness on the backend. Even less with Heinola penciled into the lineup.
Lots of teams going more with mobility and puck moving than "toughness" on D.

Oilers switched out Desharnais for Broberg when they were getting swamped in the playoffs.

Panthers D featured Montour and Forsling as their top D.

Dallas' D features Heiskanen, Lindell and Harley.

Avs' D features Makar, Toews and Girard.

I think Samberg is robust enough, and Morrissey and DeMelo can play against heavier players. I think that the main issue is that if a player isn't big, they really need to have outstanding mobility. That's where Pionk and Heinola might struggle a bit.

Reactions: Dirtbag151

BarkleyTiger

Jun 26, 2024
This might be a tough pill for us to swallow, but I think we already have a perfect 2C - Mark Schiefele

The reality is that he was in the mid-20s for scoring as a C last year and had difficulty with most of his match-ups defensively

It'll be very difficult to win a cup vs teams that have a Barkov or McDavid with him as 1C, but I don't see an alternative/upgrade on the horizon
Scheifele is better than barkov

Trading Ehlers has to come with a dman in return and nobody good is available so you better off keeping ehlers and run with Lambert at 2c.

• Haha
Reactions: blueandgoldguy

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The trick is to never expect anything to happen. Then you'll always be pleasantly surprised. If you expect something to happen you'll always be dissapointed when it doesn't.

As the smallest market in the NHL we should always have this mindset.
That's my philosophy for life in general now, nevermind the Jets!

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016

It looks like he's 19th in total points, 17th in ppg from what I can tell. (Why does NHL.com have Florida's entire 1st line listed as centers? lol). I agree tho he isn't elite like these other guys, but it will either take a lot of luck of someone developing or a multi-year tank to get that upgrade.

Reactions: Buffdog

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Lots of teams going more with mobility and puck moving than "toughness" on D.

Oilers switched out Desharnais for Broberg when they were getting swamped in the playoffs.

Panthers D featured Montour and Forsling as their top D.

Dallas' D features Heiskanen, Lindell and Harley.

Avs' D features Makar, Toews and Girard.

I think Samberg is robust enough, and Morrissey and DeMelo can play against heavier players. I think that the main issue is that if a player isn't big, they really need to have outstanding mobility. That's where Pionk and Heinola might struggle a bit.
Pionk has grit - his problem is that he can't activate his skates and his brain at the same time

That's my philosophy for life in general now, nevermind the Jets!
I thought @Whileee had stolen my tinder profile for a second there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad