Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Why would buffalo make that trade?

Well they have a lot of finess based young players/prospects but not a lot of balanced gritty ones. They may feel he adds more balance to their roster. Also they are much stronger on the right then on the left so he would fit a need there. Savoie is a great prospect but is in tough to crack a Buffalo right side that features Tuch, Quinn, and Peterka. They also have Cozens and Thompson inked long term as their top 2 centers. On the left they only have Bensen as a top 9 player.

I actually think it would make a lot of sense for both teams. The Jets are weaker down the right and need more speed in their system. Savoie brings that. The Jets also have a lot of system depth on the left with KC, Perfetti and Nino on the big team and Barlow and Chibrikov in the system.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Needless to say this McGroarty-Jiricek thing with us adding a bit seems both familiar, but also by far our best option.

I know they just ditched Vincent which hurt our chances of that happening. And have a new GM too. That one at least seems plausible though.

I think so too
I have a hard time seeing why the Jackets would trade Jiricek. He's got top pairing d-man potential and is already going through the process, and played in the NHL...To trade that potential for a guy who isn't even guaranteed to be a op six winger sounds like a bad trade that even Don Waddell wouldn't make. I like the optimism of our fanbase though, we've somehow turned a #14 OA pick into a top 4 draft pick or a top rated d prospect.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Devil’s advocate, Daximus’s point about Trouba is not missed. The story on Trouba all the way until he was traded was it was all about usage. Now, in that case it wasn’t a “I hate Winnipeg” thing, but it still ended up being different than the reported reasons.

Anyway, why we are in this position doesn’t much matter. If McGroarty is dead set about not signing here, and it certainly appears that way, Chevy needs to get fair value here. Thankfully, McGroarty’s value is probably higher than it’s ever been.

JMO - I think the Trouba thing was about usage initially. It changed as his GF needs evolved.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I have a hard time seeing why the Jackets would trade Jiricek. He's got top pairing d-man potential and is already going through the process, and played in the NHL...To trade that potential for a guy who isn't even guaranteed to be a op six winger sounds like a bad trade that even Don Waddell wouldn't make. I like the optimism of our fanbase though, we've somehow turned a #14 OA pick into a top 4 draft pick or a top rated d prospect.
Jiricek said publicly that CBJ isn't playing him enough.
He's not a happy camper.
He was healthy scratched for a month and there was a concern he wouln't report to the farm if demoted.
I think his time there is nearing its end.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I'll just throw it out there, because I am interested to see whether the Oil stump up 12m for another centre.....

Ehlers + McGroarty + ??? for Draisaitl

(After July 1, extensions in place.)

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Am I crazy or can we just not trade Rutger and still have his rights for 2 years, during which he might cave and sign?
No, not crazy at all. That is doable. It does come with some loaded barriers though.

Those barriers are super relevant if your organization puts a premium on team culture because something like this would likely cause some divisiveness and potential resentment. You will get the guys who dont care and just focus on their own suff. You will get the guys who can relate to or appreciate McG's point of view - even for some be fashioned as a cult hero, especially if they feel that they have not been utilized they way they thought they should. And you will get the guys who subscribe to tradition and believe in a development plan and arch. The latter, which I would suspect is the majority, would probably appreciate the confidence on one hand, but on the other hand maybe perceive it as arrogance or a lack of humility.

So right away it will likely generate some response from the members of the team as the one thing all of them have in common, regardless of where they came from or where they played, is that once upon a time they were also a rookie. So it would for sure resonate one some level.

As an organization you have to address that as it is an attempt to circumvent what you are trying to achieve with a draft & develop program. The essence of what McG is doing is undermining that process completely. Now it could be a lack of humility and self-awareness of his own limitations, or it may very well be a savvy way of using the organizations principles against it as a vehicle to simply not play in Winnipeg.

The reason why I think you are not crazy is because McG's 'X' factor is his personality and by all reports is very likeable. Likability is the strongest tool of persuasion to eradicate potential resentment or mistrust. This is right out of Dr. Robert Cialdini's infamous work on the concept of influence.

So I feel you may be right and he may be able to stay, provided he manages his relationships in the room well. As an organization, I can see why the Jets would move on though. All kinds of barriers to address.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
His final year doesn't kick in until July 1st. He "technically" still has 2 years remaining until then. So can't sign an extension until then.

Yes. My mistake. Senior moment.

At #4 I'd be interested in Lindstrom as a big, skilled C. Some good D prospects would be available then. Personally, if it's LHD I like Buium, too.

There would be plenty to choose from in that range.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Chychrun seems a lot to me like what post Winnipeg Trouba would be like. Good player, but not a #1 or good enough to carry a 2nd pair on a contender. And getting paid the most someone would give him.

Part of me thinks we could throw Heinola up with Morrissey and let him figure it out and we would be just as well off. Just my hunch nothing real to back it up.
what from his game makes you say he can't be a 2nd pair defender exactly?

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Murat Ates is wondering if the Jets bring back Tyler Myers…..

giphy.gif

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Chychrun seems a lot to me like what post Winnipeg Trouba would be like. Good player, but not a #1 or good enough to carry a 2nd pair on a contender. And getting paid the most someone would give him.

Part of me thinks we could throw Heinola up with Morrissey and let him figure it out and we would be just as well off. Just my hunch nothing real to back it up.
I think Chychrun goes to Boston for Ullmark.

Reactions: voyageur

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Jiricek said publicly that CBJ isn't playing him enough.
He's not a happy camper.
He was healthy scratched for a month and there was a concern he wouln't report to the farm if demoted.
I think his time there is nearing its end.
Hard to say with new coach, new GM. Maybe they appease him. Pascal Vincent isn't likely to get another NHL head coaching gig.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
id add to get Jiricek (6th OA RHD from the same 2022 draft)

i think given the coaching and management overhaul in CBJ priority #1 will be to mend any relationships / damage that was caused by the previous regime, especially w/ their recent top picks - johnson, jiricek, fantilli - who are supposed to be their cornerstone pieces.

if evidently jiricek still has issues, then they'd entertain moving him. I'm going to guess he starts and plays in the nhl this year though for CBJ. He's under ELC /team cotnrol so CBJ doesn't have to move him at all.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
friedman on the marek show saying he's heard from some people to expect mcgroarty traded before the draft
this draft honestly seems pretty meh... some decent RHD prospects but all seems like a downgrade from McGro

I think a best case scenario is to let this simmer for a while - get Lambert, Perfetti, Samberg, Heinola, Barron and maybe even Salo prime time minutes this season - let it be known that there's a space for McGro at the end of the season

Reactions: roccerfeller

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad