Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
The implication was clear IMO, whether you intended it or not.

I don't care about Hronek. I'm replying to this from post #10,006. "I never understand why people discredit powerplay production so much, like yes the game is mostly played 5v5 but being good on the power play isn't a negative and our pp play was awful most of the year". See my post 10,174.
lol, ok mort... I guess if you want to wildly stretch saying that people discredit powerplay points = 5v5 doesn't matter just to try and win an argument go right ahead..

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What do people think of Chris Tanev as an acquisition?
Seems to still be capable.
Would it make sense to use him to strengthen our RHD for a couple of years until Salo is ready for a major role?
UFA so no acquisition cost. The contract shouldn't be prohibitive. This will be his 35 YO season so he shouldn't be expecting a lot of term.

Is it a fit, or not?

Aries56

Jan 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I always got the impression Laine liked it here, there were two things working against him.

1. The locker room was getting to be in a bad place with the Wheeler days.

2. He seemed to feel entitled to a big payday for his one dimensional goal scoring, and didn't seem to understand that big paydays are for complete, 200 foot players.

I'd welcome him back, he's probably matured enough to see he had it decent here, and could have an upcoming redemption arc if he gets his head on straight. As previously noted, I'd like to see CBJ include an asset in the deal to offset taking on Laine's salary.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Here is a stupid propasal

Laine + Johnson +Mateychuk

for
Ehelrs + Heinola +McGroarty

Some change of Scenery for players and potential for both teams. Given up McGroarty would suck but you got to give something to get something

Ugh, Laine and all his drama is exhausting to deal with and listen to, plus his lazy play, bad defensive play, injuries and very questionable off ice training/diet...........if I was forced to take Laine back it would need to come with some really nice pieces or easy pass for me. IMO that might be more then I would offer or willing to pay, switch out McGroarty maybe for someone slightly less then him and I might consider it. But in reality I would hate taking back Laine, IMO his presence in the locker room is not good.

Mildly funny though trading Ehlers in a package for Laine in a package, two best friends traded for each other.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
lol, ok mort... I guess if you want to wildly stretch saying that people discredit powerplay points = 5v5 doesn't matter just to try and win an argument go right ahead..

I gave you an explanation for why that is appropriate for comparison purposes. Disagree with that if you wish. State your reason. You never know, I might come around to your POV, if you have a good argument.

I don't give a rat's patoot about winning or losing an argument. But you appear to me to be debating about who said what and who meant what by what he said instead of considering the content of my reply to your statement about using 5v5 vs PP or vs including PP.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Would it make sense to use him to strengthen our RHD for a couple of years until Salo is ready for a major role?
UFA so no acquisition cost. The contract shouldn't be prohibitive. This will be his 35 YO season so he shouldn't be expecting a lot of term.

Is it a fit, or not?
He's a warrior but don't know how long he'd last. I wonder about TJ Brodie who probably isn't going back to the Leafs, and who Chynoweth coached last year. 2 year deal would give him a chance at a 1000 NHL games. Probably available for less than Tanev in the offseason.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I gave you an explanation for why that is appropriate for comparison purposes. Disagree with that if you wish. State your reason. You never know, I might come around to your POV, if you have a good argument.

I don't give a rat's patoot about winning or losing an argument. But you appear to me to be debating about who said what and who meant what by what he said instead of considering the content of my reply to your statement about using 5v5 vs PP or vs including PP.
I'm the one debating about who said what and what was meant by it when you are literally trying to tell me what my post implied? ok...

"You implied it in post #10,006. It has been questioned here many times by some posters. Not sure that you have or not."

"The implication was clear IMO, whether you intended it or not."

I never said anything against 5v5.. you are claiming I implied it by saying people discredit the powerplay

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He's a warrior but don't know how long he'd last. I wonder about TJ Brodie who probably isn't going back to the Leafs, and who Chynoweth coached last year. 2 year deal would give him a chance at a 1000 NHL games. Probably available for less than Tanev in the offseason.

Brodie is not the defensive RHD I would want, nor even the defensive LHD I would want.

I don't think Tanev would need to last. I year would be a big help. Or do you mean how many games he would play in a year?

I don't know what AAV it would take to get him. I'm assuming less than his last contract.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Here is a stupid propasal

Laine + Johnson +Mateychuk

for
Ehelrs + Heinola +McGroarty

Some change of Scenery for players and potential for both teams. Given up McGroarty would suck but you got to give something to get something
Not a fan.

Some Jackets fans have posted about Ehlers for Johnson. Not saying the Jackets would do it, but I would be interested. Johnson isn't big, so we're not remaking the top 6 unfortunately, but he's got skill and can play centre.

IMO while I was a fan of Laine when he was here, I think there is a decent amount of risk with him, and at his salary I think the Jets would be better served using that cap space either on a C, or to improve the defense, specifically the right side.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm the one debating about who said what and what was meant by it when you are literally trying to tell me what my post implied? ok...

"You implied it in post #10,006. It has been questioned here many times by some posters. Not sure that you have or not."

"The implication was clear IMO, whether you intended it or not."

I never said anything against 5v5.. you are claiming I implied it by saying people discredit the powerplay

Implications are not necessarily intended. Sometimes they are there whether a person intended them or not.

When you say people discredit the powerplay you imply that people rely on 5v5 more than you would like. The implication is there as clear as day.

Again, I am not sure that you are one of the posters who have directly questioned using 5v5 or not. I don't remember all of your posts.

This discussion seems to be pointless since it is going nowhere. If you agree with my explanation, say so. If you disagree, say so. If you don't care one way or another, say so and we can quit.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

Is it a fit, or not?
I think there's a zero chance a coveted RHD signs here with the options he'll have available. Either a nice contract in a nice place or a lesser contract in a place where he'll compete for a cup (which could also be a nice place)

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not a fan.

Some Jackets fans have posted about Ehlers for Johnson. Not saying the Jackets would do it, but I would be interested. Johnson isn't big, so we're not remaking the top 6 unfortunately, but he's got skill and can play centre.

IMO while I was a fan of Laine when he was here, I think there is a decent amount of risk with him, and at his salary I think the Jets would be better served using that cap space either on a C, or to improve the defense, specifically the right side.

Ehlers for Johnson is interesting. He is listed at 6'1. He might need to fill out a little. Is his season ending shoulder surgery a concern?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think there's a zero chance a coveted RHD signs here with the options he'll have available. Either a nice contract in a nice place or a lesser contract in a place where he'll compete for a cup (which could also be a nice place)

There are several other UFA Dmen whose names are being tossed around. Is Tanev a tougher acquisition than them or do you rate the others as just as unlikely?

Tanev showed respect for the organization when he encouraged his brother to sign here.

Would Tanev be worth paying a little more to entice him to come here? Or would that require too much overpay?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Brodie is not the defensive RHD I would want, nor even the defensive LHD I would want.

I don't think Tanev would need to last. I year would be a big help. Or do you mean how many games he would play in a year?

I don't know what AAV it would take to get him. I'm assuming less than his last contract.
Stones said you can't always get what you want...They weren't lying. I think Tanev is a huge injury risk now with mileage/style of play. I think De Melo might be seen as a safer bet than him...Pesce too, coming off injury, but younger. I think the Jets are for sure looking at a shot blocking PKer for their lineup, probably on both sides of the defense too.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Implications are not necessarily intended. Sometimes they are there whether a person intended them or not.

When you say people discredit the powerplay you imply that people rely on 5v5 more than you would like. The implication is there as clear as day.

Again, I am not sure that you are one of the posters who have directly questioned using 5v5 or not. I don't remember all of your posts.

This discussion seems to be pointless since it is going nowhere. If you agree with my explanation, say so. If you disagree, say so. If you don't care one way or another, say so and we can quit.
no, that is not the implication, the implication is that people think that it's easy to put up points on the powerplay and all it takes is pp time, that is not the case at all, being good on the powerplay is a skill, putting up points on the powerplay is not a negative

I agree this discussion has been a giant waste of time, I will now ignore when you quote me 1-2 days after I finish a discussion with another poster

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Not a fan.

I think the X factor for any Columbus trade is why would Ehlers re-sign there if they are trading his friend Laine...is he looking to play long term in an underachieving college party town...Are the Jackets building around Gaudreau, wouldn't another perimeter player be overkill? What's the Jackets leadership core? Ehlers is worth considerably less to any team that can't re-sign him...I'd like to see offers from teams like Ottawa, Montreal, Seattle, teams that might have bigger needs for skill forwards, more allure as markets, with lots of prospects to offer...

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Ehlers for Johnson is interesting. He is listed at 6'1. He might need to fill out a little. Is his season ending shoulder surgery a concern?
That's a good question. From what I gleam from their board it could take until September to recover (nothing official though). Definitely needs to get stronger.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
There are several other UFA Dmen whose names are being tossed around. Is Tanev a tougher acquisition than them or do you rate the others as just as unlikely?

Tanev showed respect for the organization when he encouraged his brother to sign here.

Would Tanev be worth paying a little more to entice him to come here? Or would that require too much overpay?
What are the options?

Let DeMelo go and overpay Tanev to replace him? Wouldn't it be better to just spend that money on DeMelo?

Or buy out (or trade and retain) Schmidt and then overpay Tanev? But then where's this money/cap coming from for an overpay since there's still going to have $2M-$3M in dead cap for Schmidt?

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I think the X factor for any Columbus trade is why would Ehlers re-sign there if they are trading his friend Laine...is he looking to play long term in an underachieving college party town...Are the Jackets building around Gaudreau, wouldn't another perimeter player be overkill? What's the Jackets leadership core? Ehlers is worth considerably less to any team that can't re-sign him...I'd like to see offers from teams like Ottawa, Montreal, Seattle, teams that might have bigger needs for skill forwards, more allure as markets, with lots of prospects to offer...
I forgot about Gaudreau in CBJ

At least him and Ehlers could dissappear together in the playoffs (if they manage to get there) lol

• Haha

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What are the options?

Let DeMelo go and overpay Tanev to replace him? Wouldn't it be better to just spend that money on DeMelo?

Or buy out (or trade and retain) Schmidt and then overpay Tanev? But then where's this money/cap coming from for an overpay since there's still going to have $2M-$3M in dead cap for Schmidt?

Keep DeMelo, buyout Schmidt, Sign Tanev.

I guess it depends on how much it takes to get Tanev. We recover 3.233 mil from Schmidt. We save Dillon's 3.9 mil (compared to last year). We could also move Iafallo for 4 mil saved. Assuming Ehlers is moved we may gain more cap space there, depending on the return.

If the demand for Tanev is too high it may not work, depending on other moves above.

Reactions: Gm0ney

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That's a good question. From what I gleam from their board it could take until September to recover (nothing official though). Definitely needs to get stronger.

If Johnson is iffy due to that surgery then CBJ probably won't part with Cole Sillinger as an alternative.

CBJ could put together a possibly interesting quantity for quality package. Just spitballing here. I've looked over their prospect pool. They have RHD Corson Ceulemans, who I wanted in '21 instead of Lucius. His development has been slow but I hope he still has good potential.
"Ceulemans can pinch, engage opponents, box them out, control them on the boards, and shove them away from the puck. His gap is tight through the neutral zone and he defends the front of the net well. Quick threat identification there and attaches himself to them. -EliteProspects 2021 NHL Draft Guide"

Add LHD Stanislav Svozil. He scores well at every level.
"He works hard to attach himself to his check, with mirroring footwork and great body-on-body positioning, driving them into the boards when the moment is right. He’s physical but always with a purpose. Good luck getting past Svozil in the neutral zone. He takes away the middle of the ice with his stick, skates with risk-mitigating footwork, and closes with aggression at just the right moments. -EliteProspects 2021 NHL Draft Guide".

And add C Luca Del Bel Beluz. Again, scores well at every level so far. I wonder if there is some hole in his game that kept him from being drafted earlier. Don't know, just wondering.

That might be selling a dollar for 3 quarters, IDK. But they are 3 prospects that look interesting to me and that play positions of need. They are not like trading for picks. They each have 2 or 3 years of post draft development behind them. Not only does that mean they are closer to NHL ready but it also makes busting much less likely.

Of course the Jets will have internal scouting reports, so depending on scouts approval it could work.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Keep DeMelo, buyout Schmidt, Sign Tanev.

I guess it depends on how much it takes to get Tanev. We recover 3.233 mil from Schmidt. We save Dillon's 3.9 mil (compared to last year). We could also move Iafallo for 4 mil saved. Assuming Ehlers is moved we may gain more cap space there, depending on the return.

If the demand for Tanev is too high it may not work, depending on other moves above.
I'd be okay with Tanev if he agreed to bonuses.
I believe he is at the age where you can offer him bonuses.
Three years at 2m per year with bonuses if he plays more than 40 or 50 games?
I'd sooner go after Pulock or a re-signed Larsson.

JMo Larsson
Heinola DD
Sammy Pionk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad