Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Why would we give that much for severely damaged, extremely expensive goods?

Maybe lucius and retention as a reclamation project?

:laugh:
Because that isn't much. Iafallo is an expensive 4th liner. Lucius is likely to spend more time in hospital than in the NHL and Rashevsky probably never makes it in the NHL.

Would need max retention though.

Reactions: DRW204

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I like Laine. I think the Jets have a bit of a hole in right shot forwards, especially in the short term. However, the Jets can probably find better ways to spend $8.7M in cap space, all things considered.

I don't think anyone takes him without heavy retention, regardless of return, unless CBJ pays someone to take him.

Reactions: hn777

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Laine is available... :sarcasm:
he would definitely help the PP imo. i do think the death of his father really f***ed with him. remember how brutal morrissey was during those years with his father's illness & death? perhaps the same may have happened with laine :dunno:. & being across the pond - not sure his support/family system, i can see it being difficult for someone.

maybe getting back to a familiar set of circumstances where he had pretty high success will help turn his career around - as opposed to one of the worst run organizations in the league from coaching or management, everything. Laine's final full season in 19-20 i think i underrated at the time, but if he can get back to that or like 80% of that, that would serve pretty well. may be a long-shot that was 4-5 years ago now.

21-22 and 22-23 he was pretty good in CBJ 0.97 PPG those two years overall, on a team that was a -125 in 5v5 goal-differential those 2 years, Laine was somehow a +3 and a pretty solid 2.39 pts/60. A bit of a leap of faith here b/c he has a high cap-hit (they most certainly will have to retain) & the injury history sucks. the Jets have a bunch of players who are typically injured already in their top-6. I don't think he would cost much in trade tbh, but don't think the Jets will be going that route.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Im pretty sure Chevy was trying to trade Laine for Necas before the PLD thing came about... seem to remember that rumour

Signed Ehlers and 50% retained Pionk for Necas maybe a bit of a pipe dream but not that far off

How about Ehlers + Heinola for Necas + Morrow?

Either both Ehlers and Necas signed or both of them not signed. Similar risk to both teams that way, though I would bet Carolina would have a better chance of signing Ehlers than we would of signing Necas. But Ehlers isn't going to sign here anyway so it is like keeping him for his last year except that we also get Morrow for Heinola.

Morrow plays 3RD this year. Moves up to replace Pionk next year. Salo plays 3RD next year.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Trouble is the reason (so I've read) that Necas wants out of Carolina is because he wants to play C. Apparently he is no good at C. If we don't use him there, he doesn't extend here.
I'd be happy to see how he looks at center before passing judgement. People keep penciling Perfetti into the #2 C role based on nothing but hope. Necas at least has elite speed which we sorely need. I'd be okay with a plan to give him every opportunity to take that role.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Mark did pay lip service to it but talk is cheap. Its very difficult to transform an established culture.

Way OT for this thread so I'll just leave this here:

Step 1. Stop making STH buy pre-season games at regular season prices.
That immediately reduces the problem of STH paying more for their seats than the guy who bought at the last minute.

How to get people in the stands for pre-season games then? Special price for STH only $20 bucks a game. Not mandatory part of ST package.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Have to agree - but given what he has gone through these past 4 seasons, he might have a better attitude now. His career G scoring rate is still at .425 GPG. That is 35 G per season.

I'd say the biggest issues are the size of the contract and his health. I would take a chance on him if CBJ would retain 50%. If he can't play we could LTIR him.

He is due a signing bonus of 2 mil on July 1. They could only retain 50% on the remaining 7.1 mil.

My guess is neither Winnipeg nor Laine will have interest in going for round two here.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Did he really make that much of a difference. Did we make the playoffs because of him.

How did you feel when they signed Appleton... Now you guys want to bring back Laine.... ummm no thanks.

Yes, he did.
He had better SV%, GAA and winning % (15-5-2) than Helle did and should have started game 4 in the PO, if not sooner.

A few want Laine back - very few. A few more, myself included, would consider taking him back as a project under the right conditions. Though, TBH, when I think about the risks, I probably pass even under the best of conditions.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Either both Ehlers and Necas signed or both of them not signed. Similar risk to both teams that way, though I would bet Carolina would have a better chance of signing Ehlers than we would of signing Necas. But Ehlers isn't going to sign here anyway so it is like keeping him for his last year except that we also get Morrow for Heinola.

Morrow plays 3RD this year. Moves up to replace Pionk next year. Salo plays 3RD next year.
We have no idea who is willing to sign where. This time last year 99% of this board had Helly and Scheifele gone. Too often speculation based on personal biases soon gets passed on as fact around here.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'd be happy to see how he looks at center before passing judgement. People keep penciling Perfetti into the #2 C role based on nothing but hope. Necas at least has elite speed which we sorely need. I'd be okay with a plan to give him every opportunity to take that role.

Can't really argue the point too hard. I don't know him well enough myself. But a couple of posters pointed out that Canes wouldn't play him at C and their need for a 2C is at least as great as ours, if not greater. I think that says quite a lot.

Reactions: kenobiwan

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Can't really argue the point too hard. I don't know him well enough myself. But a couple of posters pointed out that Canes wouldn't play him at C and their need for a 2C is at least as great as ours, if not greater. I think that says quite a lot.
And a lot of people around here would argue would argue the same about Perfetti. The thing with Necas is there is 2 years of team control versus 1 for Ehlers. If needed you can go 1 year with him and still be in the same position as Ehlers a year from now. If the fit works, maybe you can extend, if not you can get a similar return next offseason. IMO Chevy needs to take some risks to keep the talent level up if we move on from Ehlers. If nothing else an extra year buys our prospects a little more time to be contributors.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We have no idea who is willing to sign where. This time last year 99% of this board had Helly and Scheifele gone. Too often speculation based on personal biases soon gets passed on as fact around here.

Last year was a bit odd. I think that after shopping Scheif and Helle Chevy had a change of heart and decided to pay them more. I think he told both of them that no one wanted them badly enough to pay fair value to get them. Then made them good offers that were each contingent on the other signing. I doubt he gets one without the other. Certainly in Helle's case.

Ehlers is younger this year than they were last year. I think that both money and opportunity must matter to him. He hasn't told me that but the way I see it he's gotta feel that. JMPO I also don't think Chevy wants to offer him that big a raise. Again JMO.

So I will believe that he won't sign here until he signs here. Hope I am wrong. He is my favourite player. Jets are a dull team without him.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If Chevy wants to keep DeMelo he will need to go more than 3 years. His agent will know there is a 5 year deal out there somewhere on July 1 who played top pairing RHD and is easily top 4 RHD on most teams.

Even if DeMelo is better suited to playing lower on the depth chart on a good team, he has been playing mostly 1RD in his time here while being paid like a 4/5 tweener. I expect he wants to be paid closer to how he has played. I think that is rock bottom, team friendly at 4.5. He should probably get at least 5. 4 years is a minimum too. At 31 YO he might accept that if the AAV was right. So $5mil x 4years is probably the minimum.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
he would definitely help the PP imo. i do think the death of his father really f***ed with him. remember how brutal morrissey was during those years with his father's illness & death? perhaps the same may have happened with laine :dunno:. & being across the pond - not sure his support/family system, i can see it being difficult for someone.

maybe getting back to a familiar set of circumstances where he had pretty high success will help turn his career around - as opposed to one of the worst run organizations in the league from coaching or management, everything. Laine's final full season in 19-20 i think i underrated at the time, but if he can get back to that or like 80% of that, that would serve pretty well. may be a long-shot that was 4-5 years ago now.

21-22 and 22-23 he was pretty good in CBJ 0.97 PPG those two years overall, on a team that was a -125 in 5v5 goal-differential those 2 years, Laine was somehow a +3 and a pretty solid 2.39 pts/60. A bit of a leap of faith here b/c he has a high cap-hit (they most certainly will have to retain) & the injury history sucks. the Jets have a bunch of players who are typically injured already in their top-6. I don't think he would cost much in trade tbh, but don't think the Jets will be going that route.
Certainly makes you wonder why he wants out of CB and what exactly "isn't working" there.

Like I said, I'd take him back here in a heartbeat - but not at $8m and not for an important piece in return.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Can you reread your asinine paragraph and get back to me?

Monahan and Namestnikov (and Perfetti/Vilardi) were the 3C. Lowry was the 2C. Ehlers got some time as the *Scheifele* winger, but a lot of time as the *not Scheifele winger*.

Using your brain is hard. Monahan is re-signing as the 3C unless Arniel demotes Lowry, same with Lambert, Perfetti or Vilardi.

Lowry was the 2C.

Yikes.

Yikes is right.
Lowry is the 2C in TOI last year only because our should have been 2nd line was weak.
There have been stretches in the past when Lowry got 2nd line TOI too, for the same reason. Good Lord! If Nino - Lowry - Apples is our 2nd line we have the weakest top 6 in the league! And yet we finished 4th in the regular season. No wonder they were called frauds.

Reactions: Aries56

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
The fanbase did, or that one "podcast" with 34 subs?
I'll rescind terming it as fan base.

however given the variety of issues with that organization compounded with a fan-driven podcast talking about him committing suicide wouldn't really give me the warmest feeling staying in that spot.

Reactions: abax44

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There's no way Miller signs here with his usage.

He could be an everyday player on many teams, I don't think he's looking to be bench relief in his prime.

Unfortunately the Jets have put themselves in a place of defense depth weakness when they used to be pretty rich.

Now I'm not saying most of these players were tragic losses, but we've lost out of our system:

Kovy
Gawanke
Capobianco
Chisholm

We're likely to lose at least one of DeMelo and Dillon, Miller, and SHOULD lose Schmidt

What that means is we probably have to keep Pionk and they might even justify keeping Schmidt. Stanley is also likely to be on the roster next year.

The one thing that I wish Bones would have done once we had a playoff spot in the bag was give guys like Capo, Heinola and Miller more playing time, especially with Pionk, Schmidt and Stanley playing at a level that wouldn't get them into the nhl in the first place if they didn't have seniority.

I agree with you again.:laugh:

• Wow
Reactions: Jet and Eyeseeing

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Even if DeMelo is better suited to playing lower on the depth chart on a good team, he has been playing mostly 1RD in his time here while being paid like a 4/5 tweener. I expect he wants to be paid closer to how he has played. I think that is rock bottom, team friendly at 4.5. He should probably get at least 5. 4 years is a minimum too. At 31 YO he might accept that if the AAV was right. So $5mil x 4years is probably the minimum.
I'm really interested to see how that market shakes out...Hronek wants $7m AAV. Zadorov wants $6m AAV. What's Brandon Montour or Brady Skej worth then? Where does De Melo fall into place with guys like Edmunson, Pesce or Chris Tanev? The last big defensive signings were Vlasic at $4.6 m AAV, which is similar to Sandin's re-up, more established players it was $7.35m for Hanifin and $5.75m for Forsling...those were before the Cap went up $4.5 million.

And there's always Darnell Nurse, Nate Schmidt and Ben Chiarot's contracts to measure up to for agents, as proof some teams will overpay.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Yikes is right.
Lowry is the 2C in TOI last year only because our should have been 2nd line was weak.
There have been stretches in the past when Lowry got 2nd line TOI too, for the same reason. Good Lord! If Nino - Lowry - Apples is our 2nd line we have the weakest top 6 in the league! And yet we finished 4th in the regular season. No wonder they were called frauds.
It's tough to get away with fraud over an 82 game season

Not sure why people can't understand that the org took a different path from the old "3 best players on the first line (most ice time), 3 next best players on the second line (second most ice time), etc" structure. Amd it worked.

As it's been pointed out, Lowry's line did exceptionally well in its role vs other teams top lines, holding it's own and then some

Imagine where we would have finished had we had we had even average special teams

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Lawson Crouse and Dakota Joshua would be good adds. No idea what it would take to get them.
Joshua is a UFA. It is going to cost a few million $ and a commitment of 3+ years.

Crouse is signed for 3 more years, has scored 20+ 3 years in a row. He would cost a team dearly to acquire him.

Reactions: Orrrules

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021

I wish we had traded up and drafted Morrow in 2021. Unfortunately now, I don’t see Carolina moving on from him. They know they got a good player.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad