Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
It isn't about discrediting PP production. It is just about comparing apples to apples.

If our PP is the same as last season except for the insertion of Hronek, he isn't going to pick up many points there.
I mean our pp was bad and then we inserted monahan into the bumper and it was a lot better, getting players that are good on the pp isn't a negative

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I mean our pp was bad and then we inserted monahan into the bumper and it was a lot better, getting players that are good on the pp isn't a negative
It went from godawful to meh - but the Jets should have a better than meh powerplay based on their personnel. Only 3 options and too static to open those options up most of the time.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
It went from godawful to meh - but the Jets should have a better than meh powerplay based on their personnel. Only 3 options and too static to open those options up most of the time.
we clearly needed to replace lauer but bringing in players who are good on the powerplay is not a negative and can improve the overall powerplay

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
What appears to be a slight advantage over a large sample equals massively better results.

Outscoring your opponents 60-40 at 5v5 is huge, whether you're talking about a player, a line or a team.
Again, this is the same discussion that I've has with Mort about relative vs absolute

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Jets appear to have achieved mediocrity. They appear to be doubling down on it.
I don't believe mediocrity will sell tickets. At least not once the buyers recognize it. I would rather try selling hope than mediocrity if I am the salesman. Nobody wants mediocrity, in anything. Everyone wants hope in everything.
The Jets will sell, that they took a step forward last season getting 2nd in the Central and 4th overall points wise in the NHL. They will acknowledge the playoff failure and promise to take the next step forward next season which is combining playoff success with regular season success. After that I think Chevy has a busy off season and we try to be as competitive as possible next season.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Scheifele is the PP1 quarterback and he goes back to the old ways no matter who is coaching... find a solution to that and everything else falls in place
scheifele isn't the best player in the world but my lord do you ever blame him for all of the jets problems, just look at how bad this team has looked when he has been out of the line up...

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
scheifele isn't the best player in the world but my lord do you ever blame him for all of the jets problems, just look at how bad this team has looked when he has been out of the line up...
I was waiting for that haha... and of course king bogo like to follow one second later. As always.

I'm not blaming him for all the Jets problems. i never do. But to say he doesn't pull us into the perimeter on the powerplay is delusional.

He's the last common denominator... vilardi and monahan are doing their job - Morrissey is doing his and Connor is our trigger man no? Demote connor and move scheif over there with perfetti on half wall?

Reactions: hn777

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I was waiting for that haha... and of course king bogo like to follow one second later. As always.

I'm not blaming him for all the Jets problems. i never do. But to say he doesn't pull us into the perimeter on the powerplay is delusional.

He's the last common denominator... vilardi and monahan are doing their job - Morrissey is doing his and Connor is our trigger man no? Demote connor and move scheif over there with perfetti on half wall?
in the 8 games scheifele missed we scored 2 powerplay goals and 1 of them came because varlamov lost his skate blade...

1 for 28 if it wasn't for that skate blade

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Scheifele is one of the few guys on this team that can consistently put the puck in the net Connor would be the other. Put Scheifele back in the middle in front of the net for the onetimer and leave Connor where he is and put Vilardi behind, beside the net to feed Scheifele or Connor or turn and shoot himself. Put Perfetti where Scheifele was and he can feed these guys because he's a good passer and see's the ice well .Easy Peasy . :naughty:

Orrrules

Mar 6, 2021
I like Morrissey but he doesn't have a big enough shot for the pp, and I agree that 55 should be in the bumper.

Reactions: hn777

Vinther

Feb 28, 2016
Given how I think the lines will be and be used. I would like to see an upgrade to Appleton on the Lowry line, so it can put more pressure on the opponents to score goals.

Nino Lowry X

I am just not sure if we have a player that would fit what the coach wants from that line

Reactions: FlappyGiraffe

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Given how I think the lines will be and be used. I would like to see an upgrade to Appleton on the Lowry line, so it can put more pressure on the opponents to score goals.

Nino Lowry X

I am just not sure if we have a player that would fit what the coach wants from that line
If chibrikov is ready he could be an x-factor on that line. Showed a bit of chemistry with Nino in the last game and forechecks hard, he may be a good fit even if he isn't a conventional grinder

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
under the scenario above, if we sign Monahan and Demelo

Perfetti Scheifele Vilardi
Connor Monahan Lambert
Nino Lowry Appleton
Barron Namestnikov Kupari

Morrissey Barron
Heinola Demelo
Samberg Pionk
Barron played half the last season in the minors and has played only 94 games in the NHL and you think he is a 1RHD???
Yeah, so what do you think a defenseman prime is?

Id say 25 to 35 with variance
24ish to 29.

If chibrikov is ready he could be an x-factor on that line. Showed a bit of chemistry with Nino in the last game and forechecks hard, he may be a good fit even if he isn't a conventional grinder
Chib isn't ready.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

I agree with your opinion of Schief on thr PP. He's not a natural QB on the half wall, more of a trigger guy in the bumper. He's more of a natural shooter (him and Ehlers are the only guys who can score from distance it seems). To put him in the bumper, you'd have to run things through the right side which would displace Connor, and he's pretty effective there with the one-timer

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
If the Jets lose a bunch of players to attrition I would much rather the Jets use this as a integration year, instead of signing a bunch of plugs to go for it. It's just not a good offseason to go looking for logical replacements at key positions.

Bring in Heinola and Salmonsson, Lambert and Chibrikov, maybe even go wild and bring up McGroarty.

I know it will never happen but we need to start integrating these players, not kicking the can down the road.

We still have enough talent and experience to compete, and if it goes horribly, you can pick up players based on biggest need from Christmas on.

Its fun to dream.
With a veteran core that is in their prime, I think Chevy has to make some moves to keep the team competitve, just to keep that core happy. So it's a fine line...Ideally you'd like to be like Dallas that successfully integrated Wyatt Johnson, Stankoven, Dellandrea and Harley into their starting lineup as ELCs...but Heinola was never given a chance, I think Lambert will have some room to grow...I still think Parker Ford is more NHL ready than Chibrikov, though that was a nice snipe he buried in a meaningless and effortless game...Colby Barlow is the kid I am waiting to see in preseason...I just have a hard time seeing Heinola replacing either Dillon or De Melo from a defensive point...Offensively he's definitely more exciting for the future than Nate Schmidt. But the Jets had a terrible PK last season and in the playoffs, and attrition probably makes it worse. I just can't see Chevy doing nothing, but it is Winnipeg, I can see some patchwork on a bumpy road, with a few holes in it.

But fans can dream bigger than that, I won't discourage them.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Scheifele is one of the few guys on this team that can consistently put the puck in the net Connor would be the other. Put Scheifele back in the middle in front of the net for the onetimer and leave Connor where he is and put Vilardi behind, beside the net to feed Scheifele or Connor or turn and shoot himself. Put Perfetti where Scheifele was and he can feed these guys because he's a good passer and see's the ice well .Easy Peasy . :naughty:
For me I'd like to see KC in the bumper, because I don't think he's a great passer, but he'd be in the short distance passing range of the overload triangle, with Vilardi and Scheifele....Put a heavier shot on the flank, opposite Scheif.

2nd PP, Perfetti, Lambert and Heinola all have had the Moose PP experience, Heinola intersecting between the two...Nino takes the front of the net, and the last player is either Pionk or maybe a 4th forward instead. My two cents, which is no longer currency.

Reactions: Jack7222

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
This is the answer,. 55 is elite in the bumper, like a top player in the league in that spot. On the half wall he is not good at all. He is way too stationary and predicable. 91 is excellent on either half wall.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
This is the answer,. 55 is elite in the bumper, like a top player in the league in that spot. On the half wall he is not good at all. He is way too stationary and predicable. 91 is excellent on either half wall.
Scheif was elite in that spot, when Wheeler was an elite passer...KC on the flank is not going to move players and change angles like Wheels did....KC is a finisher...Scheif won't score as much from the spot he is in, but the whole bumper on our PP comes from either him or Vilardi with the one touch passes, and in theory that puts a LH shot in that spot for optimal use...Maybe the Jets have different looks next year, but the only way I think Scheif is successufl in the bumper is with Perfetti on the half wall, and still that leaves a harder play for Valardi if he is taking passes behind the net. Just on angles of attack.

Reactions: NA Hockey

Aries56

Jan 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
The Jets will sell, that they took a step forward last season getting 2nd in the Central and 4th overall points wise in the NHL. They will acknowledge the playoff failure and promise to take the next step forward next season which is combining playoff success with regular season success. After that I think Chevy has a busy off season and we try to be as competitive as possible next season.
Seeing what Florida is doing, I think they're on the right track trying to build a defensive juggernaut with team buy-in. They need to seriously upgrade the defense core though.

They also need to make sure our forwards have the needed tenacity.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Seeing what Florida is doing, I think they're on the right track trying to build a defensive juggernaut with team buy-in. They need to seriously upgrade the defense core though.

They also need to make sure our forwards have the needed tenacity.
Watching the Maurice presser (man I miss those quips) he talks about changing Florida from an offensive dynamo to a 200 foot team that plays a playoff style game. And that every player bought in 100%.

Made we wonder if he simply couldn't get through to everyone on the Jets,

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Watching the Maurice presser (man I miss those quips) he talks about changing Florida from an offensive dynamo to a 200 foot team that plays a playoff style game. And that every player bought in 100%.

There were definitely some issues with buy-in here

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015

coaches have a shelf life for a reason, if you don't win it's hard to keep selling your message it was past time for a change, it's not like we were terrible the whole time he was here and had we not lost 5 of our 6 dman in one season we may have had one or two more runs

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Except we tried that... and it works for a few games then we go right back to perimeter passing and looking for the perfect cross ice... need monahan in front

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Except we tried that... and it works for a few games then we go right back to perimeter passing and looking for the perfect cross ice... need monahan in front
Scheif has not be in the middle for a stretch of games in a few years so I don't understand your comment above.

Scheif is a much better bumper man than Monahan and Scheif on the half wall is why this team is perimeter and stagnant. Other than the fact that Scheif won't like it, there is no reason not to do this.

Now do I expect it to happen? No, Scheif wants to play the half wall, so he will. But I don't think that is what is best for this team to have optimal PP success.

Reactions: Mathil8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad