Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
This team needs demelo to stay. Dillon I can get behind too. We can't have a platoon of heinola or Stanley as regulars. Also I'm kinda wary about Samberg's consistency in a top4 role, but concede some recency bias on his showing in the PO's (actually back to back PO's) is probably influencing me.
I thought Snerg had an incredible growth year.

I can see that continuing. His confidence and calmness most of the year suggests he is destined to be a solid top 4 guy for years to come.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
A couple of random thoughts:

I marvel that people even entertain trading Kyle Connor. One of the most consistent scoring wingers in the league. One of the very best at scoring gwgs in history.

Yes, defense etc etc BUT, you can mitigate defensive issues so much more easily. Player deployment, systems, etc. There isn't any way to magically make players without offensive talent scorers.

He's a bit of a unicorn and he's one of only a small handful of players that are untouchable imho.

No one is talking about Kyle Capobianco. Sure, he's not a youngster, but he's hitting the golden age for defensemen development. He's an rfa, and had a stellar year with the Moose.

I could see him crack the Jets lineup next year and be a guy on the third pair who moves the puck, has some offensive flair, run the 2pp. I still think he's a diamond in the rough.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

I marvel that people even entertain trading Kyle Connor. One of the most consistent scoring wingers in the league. One of the very best at scoring gwgs in history.

Yes, defense etc etc BUT, you can mitigate defensive issues so much more easily. Player deployment, systems, etc. There isn't any way to magically make players without offensive talent scorers.

He's a bit of a unicorn and he's one of only a small handful of players that are untouchable imho.

No one is talking about Kyle Capobianco. Sure, he's not a youngster, but he's hitting the golden age for defensemen development. He's an rfa, and had a stellar year with the Moose.

I could see him crack the Jets lineup next year and be a guy on the third pair who moves the puck, has some offensive flair, run the 2pp. I still think he's a diamond in the rough.
Capo is a G6 (over 25 not enough pro games) UFA...He and Reichel who already left for Germany. My guess is he is looking to convert AHL success into an NHL job next year...not sure wh he never stuck with the Jets, wasn't a liability out there, has the wheels.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Capo is a G6 (over 25 not enough pro games) UFA...He and Reichel who already left for Germany. My guess is he is looking to convert AHL success into an NHL job next year...not sure wh he never stuck with the Jets, wasn't a liability out there, has the wheels.

You have to bring more than just not being a liability to stick somewhere.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

I've been saying buyout Schmidt and pionk to make room for Capo and heinola for a long time... you've just been too busy being offended by my posts

You have to bring more than just not being a liability to stick somewhere.
I mean if you are an actual liability it seems you are a lock for 2nd pairing and 20 mins a game.... or they bench samberg and Miller to give you playing time to be 'fair' - take your pick

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I've been saying buyout Schmidt and pionk to make room for Capo and heinola for a long time... you've just been too busy being offended by my posts

I mean if you are an actual liability it seems you are a lock for 2nd pairing and 20 mins a game.... or they bench samberg and Miller to give you playing time to be 'fair' - take your pick

Pionk has brought offence in the past. Of course there are contract politics at play but a mediocre Pionk still brings more than most AHL guys.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Pionk has brought offence in the past. Of course there are contract politics at play but a mediocre Pionk still brings more than most AHL guys.
Going into a contract year if Pionk has a career year like Dillon and De Melo just did the ceiling is higher than either of those two.

I also wonder how important Pionk is to re-signing Dylan Samberg...The two train together offseason, and get along off the ice...If Pionk goes does Dylan Samberg re-sign long term? And that has to be one of Chevy's goals going into next season, with him 2 years from UFA status, on a bargain contract for the team. His former UMD d partner has already got the long term contract.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Oh shit they showed him as an rfa

Reactions: voyageur

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
All the discussion about what we're going to do about the defense next year, and here I am remembering how people thought I was the idiot for suggesting that guys like Chisholm, Kovacevic, Heinola, and even Capo (wasn't as strongly on board with him, though) should have been given chances to prove themselves. We could very well lose the rest of them this summer, and then we're again forced to resort to seeking help from somewhere else.

Stanley-Pionk might well be a thing next year.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I saw that too. But it changed once the season was over...so Capo is free now Jet.
I think that's a miss by the org.

Who knows, maybe he's another in the long list of guys who couldn't quite catch on in the nhl despite being really good in the A, but I liked his confidence in the games he played with the Jets.

Outside of Morrissey I thought he was the one guy who was really smart and aggressive with his o zone pinches, I thought his offensive blue line movement was excellent and he had a decent shot and gets it through.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The "10% better" thing is a myth - an arbitrary number that they pulled from thin air that doesn't address the PO performance issues they have.
The path I laid out has nothing to do with getting better - it's simply my best guess and what may happen.

And therefore I said it was not unlikely.

The 10% thing doesn't matter. It is a nonsense number. But getting better vs getting worse does matter. Just running it back = getting worse.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016

Creating offence in the A vs the NHL is entirely different. He is what he is at this point which is a productive AHL/NHL Tweener. Lots of them around the league and a good guy to overpay in the A to have a solid backup option.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
any prognostications out on the webs regarding what an Ehlers extension would look like?
There aren't a lot of great comparables from recent times for Nik. Most UFA wingers that have signed long-term extensions either aren't anywhere near Ehlers as a player (both in terms of actual talent and perceived talent, e.g. Tom Wilson) or are clearly superior in one or both (e.g. Pastrnak, Nylander).

My guess would be that Ehlers' camp looks at Horvat as a comparable of sorts (8 x 8.5) and shoots for something closer to 8 AAV, as wingers should likely get less than two-way centermen. That probably isn't happening, but something like 6 x 8 AAV should still be an easy yes for us. A more likely outcome is a 7 x 7.X -type of deal, me thinks.

Reactions: hn777

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I saw that too. But it changed once the season was over...so Capo is free now Jet.
Pretty sure Capo was the guy that 'replaced' Kova on the roster and was partially why put him on waivers... now 14 games and 2 NHL goals later he's likely gone too so we don't have to buy out Schmidt or Pionk.

The excuse is always that Kova is no big deal... but two seasons averaging 16-17 mins and 14 points a year puts him right around the Nate Schmidt mark... and far ahead of Stan. Just baffling.

We will let Capo walk and trot first round Stan back out with a raise - then plug them back in the first time Heinola struggles only to find out he's still Stan.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I think that's a miss by the org.

Who knows, maybe he's another in the long list of guys who couldn't quite catch on in the nhl despite being really good in the A, but I liked his confidence in the games he played with the Jets.

Outside of Morrissey I thought he was the one guy who was really smart and aggressive with his o zone pinches, I thought his offensive blue line movement was excellent and he had a decent shot and gets it through.

Agree. He wasn't a burner but was a smart player who could play to the opposition and do well. Had some nice offensive IQ and was mobile on the line and got shots through without Pionking them over the glass or back in our end.

Hope he lands somewhere and does well -- and if he does, it will indeed be another miss for the org, even as we wheeze into what -- year 8? -- of the Great Stanley Sunk Cost Experiment.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Pretty sure Capo was the guy that 'replaced' Kova on the roster and was partially why put him on waivers... now 14 games and 2 NHL goals later he's likely gone too so we don't have to buy out Schmidt or Pionk.

The excuse is always that Kova is no big deal... but two seasons averaging 16-17 mins and 14 points a year puts him right around the Nate Schmidt mark... and far ahead of Stan. Just baffling.

We will let Capo walk and trot first round Stan back out with a raise - then plug them back in the first time Heinola struggles only to find out he's still Stan.

For peanuts, yet. Imagine not having to pay Schmidt for another season, while having that big, mobile crease-clearer some lust after year upon year -- the up-flavoured RHD version of Stan.

He may not be much, but he met a team need, and he was ours. Cheaply.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

I don't know yet but from the Habs games I
I watched last year and the Moose games I watched this year I'd say Lundmark has more potential than Kovacevic, from a skating and passing standpoint...I wonder if the Jets graduate Heinola-Lundmark together as they were used in more of a shutdown role on the Moose, top PK unit, with Capo carrying the offense, and find a complementary d-man to play with Stan, and put those two pairings in competition. I think that guy can't be Nate Schmidt though...and if it is well I hope Schmidtty plays like it's his last season in the NHL, or good enough to get another NHL contract...Re-sign Miller and having Lundmark compete with Schmidt for the final d spot I'd be more comfortable with that depth...Get 50 games out of your bottom pairing d-men, in constant competition, I think that's good for the team...and not exceeding expectations.

Reactions: WolfHouse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad