Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I've always been in Perfetti's corner, but I think the dream of him as an NHL center has pretty much died. At this point you want him to develop into a nice playmaking top 6 winger and maybe the go through of your #1 PP has he further hones his playmaking skills. Lambert still appears to be a future option especially with his speed and quickness. The question is if he can maintain his offense with the additional defensive responsibilities at the NHL level.

Why would you say it's dead? He hasn't actually been given a legit chance at it. He's also only 22 so still young. Other centers in his class like Byfield haven't been used their yet either. There is still time for him to convert, Copp didn't fully convert until his late 20's. Lowry made it as a C at a similar age as Cole is now. I think it's incredibly premature to say it's dead especially as Arniel may have very different ideas then Bones.

As for Sean, no real interest with his foot speed at close to 30. He also had his best year in ages last year. How easy is it going to be for him to replicate it going forward.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I’m not advocating for status quo but rather trying to be realistic about our options. If Lambert is ready for the NHL you want to put him in a position to succeed and not throw him to the wolves. My guess is he starts on the Moose and gets a couple injury call ups. Hopefully he gets used at center down the lineup with wingers that can produce offense.

The Jets haven't started a young player as a rookie at center since Scheifele. That was a decade ago. If Lambert makes the team it will almost assuredly be at wing given how this org integrates their young players. He will be heavily sheltered much like Cole was last year as a rookie.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Signing Monahan for more than 2 years would be a mistake.

Has already lost a step, has a long list of injuries in his past and is only going to get worse. I'm fine with him as a stop gap option to have around as long as Arniel isn't married to him being 2C. We need to try and internally develop players, not keep adding veterans with little upside to block them.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Signing Monahan for more than 2 years would be a mistake.

Has already lost a step, has a long list of injuries in his past and is only going to get worse. I'm fine with him as a stop gap option to have around as long as Arniel isn't married to him being 2C. We need to try and internally develop players, not keep adding veterans with little upside to block them.

The guy also shot 20% last year for us. He's likely not coming close to that again.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
The guy also shot 20% last year for us. He's likely not coming close to that again.
Won 55% of faceoffs and actually plays bumper... we have no one else that does that

Even if he goes back to 12% shooting that's a 40-50 point 2C

Maybe analytics show arniel that connor monahan perfetti is our best line combo...

Reactions: roccerfeller

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Won 55% of faceoffs and actually plays bumper... we have no one else that does that

Even if he goes back to 12% shooting that's a 40-50 point 2C

Maybe analytics show arniel that connor monahan perfetti is our best line combo...

40 points isn't close to good enough from a 2C on a team wanting to contend.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
The Jets haven't started a young player as a rookie at center since Scheifele. That was a decade ago. If Lambert makes the team it will almost assuredly be at wing given how this org integrates their young players. He will be heavily sheltered much like Cole was last year as a rookie.
For some reason, they also haven't drafted a natural centre in the first round since Schief (or RHD since trouba - which, considering the scarcity of those 2 positions, is a different part of this convo). IIRC, even Cole and Lambo played wing in their draft year

I understand drafting BPA over need, but at some point then you have to develop those players into pieces you can move to fill the holes in your roster

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
For some reason, they also haven't drafted a natural centre in the first round since Schief (or RHD since trouba - which, considering the scarcity of those 2 positions, is a different part of this convo). IIRC, even Cole and Lambo played wing in their draft year

I understand drafting BPA over need, but at some point then you have to develop those players into pieces you can move to fill the holes in your roster

I think Roslovic was a center

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Agreed. Instead of developing these pieces we are expending a lot of assets over the years for short term solutions like Stastny, Hayes, Monohan etc.... That is 3 plus first round picks out the window for a rental 2C.

As stated earlier a 40 point Monohan isn't good enough to contend with imo. We need to actually take some risks and see if we can develop a better option in house.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
40 points isn't close to good enough from a 2C on a team wanting to contend.
He had 60 points this year at about a 14-15% range - I expect that moving forward

I'd still platoon him with one of the young guys at C though... I think getting perfetti or lambert taking draws and learning the game from monahan is valuable

22025-26
Nino-scheif-lambert
Connor-monahan-perfetti
Barron-lowry-vilardi
Barlow-gus-chib

Get Barron, lambert and perfetti all chances to develop at C

There's a potential change in guard coming after that season... jets need youth infusion

Reactions: Buffdog

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
They drafted the following centers over the years. Lowry/Sutter/Petan/Copp/Harkins/Roslovic/Gus/Smith/Perfetti/Zhilkin/Wagner/Lambert/Julien

There have been some other picks in there but this is the group outside Scheif. Techinically if they kept everyone our Center depth would like be Schief/Copp/Lowry/Roslovic today.

Those 2nd round centers we drafted over the years have probably hurt us more then any other draft picks because we have whiffed on them and they are all over the place on types as well.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
jets need youth infusion
This is exactly why they shouldn't sign Monahan.

The kids are ready. Coaches tend to be reluctant to give them responsibility. Chevy has to force the issue.

2024-25
Ehlers - Scheifele - Vilardi
Connor - Perfetti - Barron
Nino - Lowry - Appleton
Iafallo - Namestnikov - Lambert
Gus Kupari

2025-26
Ehlers - Scheifele - Vilardi
Connor - Perfetti - Barron
Nino - Lowry - Kupari
McGroarty - Lambert - Chibrikov
Gus

Last edited:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
They drafted the following centers over the years. Lowry/Sutter/Petan/Copp/Harkins/Roslovic/Gus/Smith/Perfetti/Zhilkin/Wagner/Lambert/Julien

There have been some other picks in there but this is the group outside Scheif. Techinically if they kept everyone our Center depth would like be Schief/Copp/Lowry/Roslovic today.

Those 2nd round centers we drafted over the years have probably hurt us more then any other draft picks because we have whiffed on them and they are all over the place on types as well.
Our Euro scouting has tripped the Jets up more than anything... Ves and Torgersson are massive misses - Ves had massive red flags

Its been a long time now that there's a gap between deployment and drafting - Perfetti can be a great player but Lundell or Schneider would have critical late game roles on our roster.

Even this year, the Jets just don't value defensemen as top draft picks... Chib is nice but we passed on a 6'3 right shot puck moving defenceman

Jets hit the jackpot with Samberg... and then we just draft 2nd round tweener C/W or wingers that the team just really doesn't have space for - while our D cupboard is a kind of bare.

Reactions: Buffdog

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He had 60 points this year at about a 14-15% range - I expect that moving forward

I'd still platoon him with one of the young guys at C though... I think getting perfetti or lambert taking draws and learning the game from monahan is valuable

22025-26
Nino-scheif-lambert
Connor-monahan-perfetti
Barron-lowry-vilardi
Barlow-gus-chib

Get Barron, lambert and perfetti all chances to develop at C

There's a potential change in guard coming after that season... jets need youth infusion

Why would you expect 60 moving forward? He didnt come close to hitting that mark the prior 4 seasons. Seems to me really wishful thinking. It's like people thinking Nino was going to score 50 after years of 35 to 40 point production just due to that small sample with us last year.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The jets are too concerned with regular season to develop into a playoff team. Keeping perfetti out late at games might have, key word might have lost a few games, we would have made it as a wildcard and be better come playoffs.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The jets are too concerned with regular season to develop into a playoff team. Keeping perfetti out late at games might have, key word might have lost a few games, we would have made it as a wildcard and be better come playoffs.

I mean the few times he was out late in games we won. He iced a few with en goals. Also given his defensive metrics it was short sighted not to have him out there. I think Bones dropped the ball there. Arniel seemed to trust him late the times he was in charge of the team so I'm guessing we don't see him sitting late again.

Reactions: wraithsonwings
Nov 24, 2006
Agreed. Instead of developing these pieces we are expending a lot of assets over the years for short term solutions like Stastny, Hayes, Monohan etc.... That is 3 plus first round picks out the window for a rental 2C.

As stated earlier a 40 point Monohan isn't good enough to contend with imo. We need to actually take some risks and see if we can develop a better option in house.
Ya, that's a lot of assets for ultimately very little.

Last edited:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Why would you expect 60 moving forward? He didnt come close to hitting that mark the prior 4 seasons. Seems to me really wishful thinking. It's like people thinking Nino was going to score 50 after years of 35 to 40 point production just due to that small sample with us last year.
So you blindly pencil Perfetti in as our 2C - ignoring his injury history and this year's benching - but you're going to pick apart Sean Monahan haha... okay. Not unexpected - since you do that with anyone not named Perfetti suggested for 2C...

Monahan scored 60 this year... that's the decent evidence to go on. Maybe the surgery fixed his lingering issues - like we are hoping with Vilardi.

The guys wins face-offs - the Jets suck at face-offs.... Perfetti sucks the most at face-offs - but hey lets hammer a square peg into a round hole.

Ya, that's a lot of assets for ultimately very little. Speaking of little, it's really a shame that Brian Little's career ended as abruptly and prematurely as it did - there was a solid #2 centre for the Jets.
You mean our 2nd line centre that scored 40+ points a year over his career - weird I was just told that wasn't good enough.

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
-We can’t play a young center on top 2 lines.
- We refuse to displace Lowry at 3C to create more offense.
- The 4th line is no place for a young offensively minded C to play/ sit on bench.

Unless Arniel has a monumental shift from the previous brain trust around the Jets, we are destined to live in mediocrity. As much as we all admire the captain, that is the roadblock in my opinion.

Reactions: Mathil8

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
So you blindly pencil Perfetti in as our 2C - ignoring his injury history and this year's benching - but you're going to pick apart Sean Monahan haha... okay. Not unexpected - since you do that with anyone not named Perfetti suggested for 2C...

Monahan scored 60 this year... that's the decent evidence to go on. Maybe the surgery fixed his lingering issues - like we are hoping with Vilardi.

The guys wins face-offs - the Jets suck at face-offs.... Perfetti sucks the most at face-offs - but hey lets hammer a square peg into a round hole.
Perfetti has hardly had a chance to prove that he belongs at 2C, let alone grow into the spot

It's less about hammering a square peg into a round hole than slowly whittling away the edges so that it fits properly

We have a more players who will can fill the top 6 wing spots in coming years, even if Ehlers gets dealt. Rutger and Lambert are both 2 years away at most. Add them to Perfetti, Connor and Vilardi and we have a logjam of top-six capable talent. Barlow is maybe 3 years away

What we don't have is a long term solution at 2C, and as much as I love Monahan (I was one of the few who both advocated for trading for him and was happy with the deal), I don't him that he's the right fit there for 5 years. One of the kids is gonna have to step up and grab that spot

Nov 24, 2006
-We can’t play a young center on top 2 lines.
- We refuse to displace Lowry at 3C to create more offense.
- The 4th line is no place for a young offensively minded C to play/ sit on bench.

Unless Arniel has a monumental shift from the previous brain trust around the Jets, we are destined to live in mediocrity. As much as we all admire the captain, that is the roadblock in my opinion.
I'm always hopeful a new coach (young or old) will have the ability to see the faults his predecessor had. I remain hopeful with Scott too. For all we know, he's been itching to make some changes for the last couple of years. Not sure if they'll be monumental as you say, but I'm still hopeful. At the very least Brad Lauer was shown the door which is a good step.

Nov 24, 2006
What we don't have is a long term solution at 2C, and as much as I love Monahan (I was one of the few who both advocated for trading for him and was happy with the deal), I don't him that he's the right fit there for 5 years. One of the kids is gonna have to step up and grab that spot
Right. And let's remember that Scheifele wasn't our #1C until he was and that was essentially forced because Bryan Little was out for some time. Maybe not signing Sean Monahan forces our hand to just give a younger guy the time they need.

I get frustrated watching teams like Dallas continually giving young players important minutes - and succeeding. We can do this too.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

You mean our 2nd line centre that scored 40+ points a year over his career - weird I was just told that wasn't good enough.

My argument is trying to see if we can develop someone better then continuing to recycle through mediocre/aging C's. What has it actually got this org? We are down a lot of assets and have zero playoff success outside of one year to show for that strategy. Maybe it's time to try something different as bringing in this caliber of vet C isn't working.

Maybe he's that going forward but it took a major uptick in his shooting to get him close to 60 so imo it's likely not something that should be expected given his age.

Perfetti is a young player getting better so yes I'll bank on his upside and expect he'll be even better next year and has the attributes to grow into a consistent 60 plus point two/way C if given the opportunity. Your free to disagree. Injuries and what happened last year are parts of learning how to be an NHL player.

As for Little, his scoring clearly wasn't good enough for the org either hence them spending big assets on Stastny and Hayes at the deadline in 18/19.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $800.00