Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
idk, we selected connor who had a far better season and he had no problem spending time with the moose
We also had a significantly cleaner track record of handling our top prospects well at the time. Nowadays, not so much.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
He's at Chevy's cottage.... No wifi

In all seriousness the Columbus pick at 4 would really be interesting Dickenson from
If the Jets are going to lose every one of their UFAs at the end of the year, and that looks probable given the market for d-men and the shortage of top 6 centers available, I'd much rather fill the gaps with an asset than have to wait out 2 years minimum for the next prospect to mature.

That's why I see Sillinger as the perfect kind of trade bait. He was 2C in minutes last year in Columbus (the minutes he spent on the PK being the reason he got more than Fantilli)...but the writing is on the wall for him...He's falling down to a 3C soon and the difference between a 2C and 3C in the NHL is a couple of million dollars. So it's a trade based on opportunities. Mc Groarty could make it as a winger for Fantilli and cash out on his next contract...Sillinger as an RFA 2C would probably come in at around $4 million on a bridge with the Jets. The game has never been more about dollars and cents and I hope the Jets make a trade that makes sense.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
The team was in a different spot when those guys came in though. It's not the same situation.
Exactly. That's also why using the "hey, Scheifele and Connor and Trouba et al. were treated well, what are you on about" -line fails as a justification for how the Jets operate well with their prospects. It was easier to promote prospects into a terrible lineup, but now you need a different mindset to thrive. And a part of that, whether people like it or not, is giving prospects opportunities over the proven veterans. As of late, we have decided against that, largely to our detriment in terms of incorporating young players into the lineup.

Unfortunately, McGroarty seems to be another one of the prospects who won't make it here. And yet again I ask, how does this keep happening? It likely isn't an NCAA issue (to the original point) - what is it?

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Exactly. That's also why using the "hey, Scheifele and Connor and Trouba et al. were treated well, what are you on about" -line fails as a justification for how the Jets operate well with their prospects. It was easier to promote prospects into a terrible lineup, but now you need a different mindset to thrive. And a part of that, whether people like it or not, is giving prospects opportunities over the proven veterans. As of late, we have decided against that, largely to our detriment in terms of incorporating young players into the lineup.

Unfortunately, McGroarty seems to be another one of the prospects who won't make it here. And yet again I ask, how does this keep happening? It likely isn't an NCAA issue (to the original point) - what is it?
What other prospects have walked besides Nathan nobody Smith who's about to be waiver wire fodder...?

We gave Ves a look at 19... then tried for two years... Barron and Gus are in the lineup... we literally have ZERO other forward prospects that were good enough for the roster until now

Heinola is really the only one getting boned - Samberg and Stan have been given legit chances

I don't like losing Kova and Chisholm but you can't say we really held those guys back more than maybe a year...

Ehlers on the block, Vilardi a question mark health wise, Apples likely on his way out... McGro has nothing to bitch about

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
If the Jets are going to lose every one of their UFAs at the end of the year, and that looks probable given the market for d-men and the shortage of top 6 centers available, I'd much rather fill the gaps with an asset than have to wait out 2 years minimum for the next prospect to mature.

That's why I see Sillinger as the perfect kind of trade bait. He was 2C in minutes last year in Columbus (the minutes he spent on the PK being the reason he got more than Fantilli)...but the writing is on the wall for him...He's falling down to a 3C soon and the difference between a 2C and 3C in the NHL is a couple of million dollars. So it's a trade based on opportunities. Mc Groarty could make it as a winger for Fantilli and cash out on his next contract...Sillinger as an RFA 2C would probably come in at around $4 million on a bridge with the Jets. The game has never been more about dollars and cents and I hope the Jets make a trade that makes sense.
Thing is you can't get first pair dmen any other way than to draft them and usually pretty high up. We really aren't in a mind space to bring in rookies so another year or 2 ain't gonna hurt. Especially if they are intent on bringing Ehlers and Monahan back which I believe they are.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There was a tweet from one of the reporters that said that the divide began when the Rutger wanted a guaranteed spot last year. I took that to mean last season, after his D+1 year

I don't recall there being any talk of him signing a year ago. That doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I have to wonder about this whole idea of a guaranteed spot. Does that EVER happen? It is pretty common for an NCAA player to be promised a game or two. That is nowhere near a guaranteed spot. There are players who are almost a lock to win a spot. But that isn't a guarantee either.

So I have to wonder what makes Rutger think he can have a "guaranteed" spot? I don't think there is such a thing.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I don't recall there being any talk of him signing a year ago. That doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I have to wonder about this whole idea of a guaranteed spot. Does that EVER happen? It is pretty common for an NCAA player to be promised a game or two. That is nowhere near a guaranteed spot. There are players who are almost a lock to win a spot. But that isn't a guarantee either.

So I have to wonder what makes Rutger think he can have a "guaranteed" spot? I don't think there is such a thing.
probably saw his linemates getting time with bottom feeders like the blackhawks and bluejackets and thought he should be getting time as well

Reactions: Buffdog and Aries56

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Thing is you can't get first pair dmen any other way than to draft them and usually pretty high up. We really aren't in a mind space to bring in rookies so another year or 2 ain't gonna hurt. Especially if they are intent on bringing Ehlers and Monahan back which I believe they are.
I look at Toews complementing Makar, Ekholm being the catalyst for Bouchard's growth. Even here De Melo steadied Josh enough to get to the next level, so there's other ways to achieve stability.

Also d-men have a different development trajectory so you might find one who is a late bloomer that fits the bill. But centers have been the area the Jets have used the most trade capital in. 3 1sts, a 3rd (Eakin), and a 4th (Stats as a cap dump) to fill holes...I have no idea where the organization stands on who is the 2C next year. That's behind closed doors. I don't think they will get into a bidding war for Monahan.

Right now the biggest question mark though is what is the defense going to look like next year.. I'm willing to bet it looks different from last year's but how different I have no idea. Still remains to be seen who's available in an offseason that is going to see a fair bit of movement.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Part of that is the growing pains that come with it. Most kids can slot into a lineup offensively but in order to thrive they need to develop a defensive game. I've seen Stankovens name thrown around but he did his time in the AHL to be given the shot at the Stars roster.

The mindset should always be you come to camp, you tryout, if you're good enough you get a spot. If not you go down and prove you deserve a callup later on. The Jets are following that at least somnewhat. The kicker for a lot of kids is they are on waivers exempt ELC's. So unless they blow the doors off they are likely spending time with the Moose. I don't think the Jets want to gamble on losing an older player to give a younger kid a shot, they fail and then you have nothing.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Well I'd say McGroarty is a different situation. The teams that are both contending and bringing younger players into the lineup are having most, if not all, of those younger guys at least play some AHL games. McGroarty seems as though it's NHL or bust.

Also again, I think the attendance weighs heavily on how they want to do things with the NHL team right now.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
If you sign a contract you are bound to the rules of the contract and if a team wants to send you down you have to go or you get suspended. You have to remember once you sign the first ELC the team owns your rights for 7 years.

Think about that

Its less about a guarantee of playing time in the NHL and more of I don't know if I want to spend the next 7 years in Winnipeg

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If you sign a contract you are bound to the rules of the contract and if a team wants to send you down you have to go or you get suspended. You have to remember once you sign the first ELC the team owns your rights for 7 years.

Think about that

Its less about a guarantee of playing time in the NHL and more of I don't know if I want to spend the next 7 years in Winnipeg

This could easily have a lot to do with it and he's just being polite about it not saying what he's actually thinking.

It sucks because McG is exactly the kind of player we need but if he wants out, he wants out. Nothing we can do about it. Trade him, try and get a good return and move on.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015

Think about that

it's about getting to play in the nhl, not about the city...

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
This could easily have a lot to do with it and he's just being polite about it not saying what he's actually thinking.

It sucks because McG is exactly the kind of player we need but if he wants out, he wants out. Nothing we can do about it. Trade him, try and get a good return and move on.
if he was never planning on signing in winnipeg I think he would tell his parents and I doubt his dad would be sporting a winnipeg jets hat through out the entire world jr's, this situation seems pretty cut and dry, he and his camp feel he is ready for the nhl and the jets feel he may not be

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
it's about getting to play in the nhl, not about the city...

Yeah..although it was about playing time with Trouba... until it wasn't.

if he was never planning on signing in winnipeg I think he would tell his parents and I doubt his dad would be sporting a winnipeg jets hat through out the entire world jr's, this situation seems pretty cut and dry, he and his camp feel he is ready for the nhl and the jets feel he may not be

People lie alllllll the time. Daily infact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad