Prospect Info: All-Purpose Prospect Thread v16.0

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
one thing that was mentioned was ryan Greene might have a chance to graduate early. Hopefully the hawks can sign him and let him burn his first year ELC this year.
As long as he has a remotely decent year, I would fully expect this to be the case.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
one thing that was mentioned was ryan Greene might have a chance to graduate early. Hopefully the hawks can sign him and let him burn his first year ELC this year.
The exact statement from the article:

"The Blackhawks are mindful that Greene could become an unrestricted free agent if he can graduate early".

To me this implies that he may have enough credits after his junior year and graduate in which case he is an unrestricted FA. For those knowledgeable with the CBA, is that the case?

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
The exact statement from the article:

"The Blackhawks are mindful that Greene could become an unrestricted free agent if he can graduate early".

To me this implies that he may have enough credits after his junior year and graduate in which case he is an unrestricted FA. For those knowledgeable with the CBA, is that the case?
Based on how I interpret the CBA legalese, yes.

"For purposes of clarity, a Player’s graduating class may change during his tenure in college." This line pretty much says yes he will be graduated and no longer a bona fide student, so he can be a UFA after this year, if he graduates. I'm uncertain if its a June 1 or an August 15th one though.

I'm just not certain though... the below is another possibility.

If the player graduates but still has NCAA eligibility left (e.g., they graduate in three years and could play a fourth year as a graduate student), the NHL team retains the rights until the player has used up all of their eligibility. The key date remains August 15 after the player finishes their NCAA eligibility.

Last edited:

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
If he wants to go UFA because he’s afraid of competing for a spot then he doesn’t need to be here anyway.
Kind of where I am. We survived without Kevin Hayes no prob so if he wants to walk and not compete for a spot then he wasn’t cut out for this team.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
If he wants to go UFA because he’s afraid of competing for a spot then he doesn’t need to be here anyway.
This literally makes no sense. The Hawks are going to be one of the easier lineups to solidify a spot in for the near future, but if it did come down to him not seeing a future for himself here like that sucks? Brushing it off as a character flaw wouldnt replace the asset that we would lose LOL.

Greene going back is honestly pretty weird. Im from Winnipeg and it was the same thing with McGroarty and Jets fans. You don't think your player is going to consider UFA via the NCA loophole until one does.

Just crossing our fingers that he simply wants a degree and to maximize that college lifestyle is the most we can do. Implying things about his ability to compete and mental fortitude already because he might want to do best by himself and pick his starting spot is so dumb (cause Fox totally just didn't have the chops to compete for a roster spot right) but I get that it's a defense mechanism

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
This literally makes no sense. The Hawks are going to be one of the easier lineups to solidify a spot in for the near future, but if it did come down to him not seeing a future for himself here like that sucks? Brushing it off as a character flaw wouldnt replace the asset that we would lose LOL.

Greene going back is honestly pretty weird. Im from Winnipeg and it was the same thing with McGroarty and Jets fans. You don't think your player is going to consider UFA via the NCA loophole until one does.

Just crossing our fingers that he simply wants a degree and to maximize that college lifestyle is the most we can do. Implying things about his ability to compete and mental fortitude already because he might want to do best by himself and pick his starting spot is so dumb (cause Fox totally just didn't have the chops to compete for a roster spot right) but I get that it's a defense mechanism
We have been down this road with Kevin Hayes. It was a while ago now, but that one really hurt. Hayes was the 2C the Hawks were missing.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It's a bad comparison, McGroarty would be likely to make the Jets out of Camp. Greene is a 2nd round pick and would be playing in Rockford had he turned pro along with a pretty crowded group of rookies. He's no different than say Alex Vlasic going back for a third year. If it's college or AHL, I think most guys choose college.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
In two years? lol, Unlikely
Perhaps it's not two years. From Powers article in today's The Athletic:

I read that to mean if he can graduate upon completion of his junior year, he can become a UFA. I don't recall an NCAA hockey player graduating in three years and therefore afforded that option.

@TLEH pulled a nugget from the CBA indicating that the was the case.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Ice Hogs lineup / Just took an early stab at it

Sanford Nazar Seney
Hayes Guttman Slaggert
Anderson Ludwinski Dach
Rolston Luypen Savoie
Baddock Cates Marcel

Levshunov Kaiser

Allan Del Mastro

Crevier Strand

Commesso

Soderblom
Weeks

Last edited:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Ice Hogs lineup / Just took an early stab at it

Sanford Nazar Seney
Hayes Guttman Slaggert
Anderson Ludwinski Dach
Rolston Luypen Savoie
Baddock Cates Marcel

Levshunov Kaiser

Allan Del Mastro

Crevier Strand

Commesso

Soderblom
Weeks
I think Kaiser or Crevier are up on the big club, and Korchinski goes down.

Reactions: wladyslaw

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
I'm hoping Korchinski goes down and is the top guy on PP and gets PK time. If he does I don't want him and Levshunov playing together. I hope both are paired with defensive defenseman and let those two optimize their offensive ability.
Korchinski doesn’t look to be a defensive dman in the future. I want Levshunov to be a two way beast though. Only then would he be a true number one.

Reactions: wladyslaw

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Perhaps it's not two years. From Powers article in today's The Athletic:

I read that to mean if he can graduate upon completion of his junior year, he can become a UFA. I don't recall an NCAA hockey player graduating in three years and therefore afforded that option.

@TLEH pulled a nugget from the CBA indicating that the was the case.

It was a strange thing for Powers to cite honestly. I've never heard of an NHL prospect in college graduating early. Where would Greene find the time to accelerate his graduation by a year? Between his commitments to BU hockey during the school year and the training/travel of the off-season, I don't see it.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It was a strange thing for Powers to cite honestly. I've never heard of an NHL prospect in college graduating early. Where would Greene find the time to accelerate his graduation by a year? Between his commitments to BU hockey during the school year and the training/travel of the off-season, I don't see it.
Summer School/perhaps had AP credit coming in. It's not that uncommon. Players in football and basketball would often graduate after 3 years so they could take advantage of grad-transfer provisions. Alex Smith graduated University of Utah in two years.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Having 9 with Bedard and Korchinski graduated is really next level. I think we’re a year away from competing to have the best U23 collection of players of any team I can remember since I started following closely in 2000. I’m trying not to homer too hard when I think back.

Plus Kaiser graduated off the list too and although Vlassic wasn't on the list he has more or less graduated from prospect to NHL player as well.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Summer School/perhaps had AP credit coming in. It's not that uncommon. Players in football and basketball would often graduate after 3 years so they could take advantage of grad-transfer provisions. Alex Smith graduated University of Utah in two years.

It's very uncommon for NHL prospects. Have you heard of a single NHL prospect that accelerated his graduation and had his rights expire a year earlier as a result? I've not.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It's very uncommon for NHL prospects. Have you heard of a single NHL prospect that accelerated his graduation and had his rights expire a year earlier as a result? I've not.
I don't think we have great info of all NCAA Hockey players that have perhaps graduated after 3 years. Most NHL prospects leave before four years to sign pro. Most August 15th Free Agent types weren't in that high of demand enough to do it a year earlier. It's a very small group that actually did it.

MHO

Sep 27, 2023
On an unrelated note, it looks like McGroarty is going to Pittsburgh. I really would have liked to get him somehow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad