Golf: All Purpose Golf Thread VI | 2017 PGA Tour Season: Here comes Cantlay!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I wasn't paying close attention when the coverage was live today, so I missed anything other than big shots, but I'm afraid from some of the highlights that Phil might've cheated three holes in a row, and should be withdrawing himself from the event prior to the final round.

Did anyone else notice the free drops he got on 10, 11 and 12? On 10 a Phil fan claims his ball was picked up, and someone ran off with it. The rules official goes along with it since no one had any clue where the ball was, and he gets a free drop. Yeah, I'm sure that happened. Of course, that would happen. And then on the next two holes, he gets free drops in the bush from a ****ing sprinkler head. In a bush. Go figure that happens, and the sprinkler head is impeding his stance.

I mean, this is absolutely unbelievable. If Tiger did this, there would be wall to wall coverage for a week. Phil saved himself at least three shots from bending the rules. If he wins this event, the result is tainted.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
It will be an alternative win. Or a fake win.

I found that peculiar too. It's as if he siphoned some of Spieth's uncanny good luck to have those balls end up in the most convenient of spots in the Mexican brush.

I remember a few tournament ago at the Phoenix Open Jordan re-teed because his playing partners were unsure if his ball had crossed the hazard. They left it up to him because they were unsure, and instead of him saying that his ball had crossed the hazard, he wasn't sure, so he re-teed. Phil takes the opposite approach. Goes straight to cheating. Some are throwing around the theory that Bones carries two sprinkler heads in Phil's bag, and they took them out and used them today. :laugh:

If this guy wins tomorrow by anything less than four shots, as far as I'm concerned, its not a win. I don't remember the last time I saw cheating to this degree in pro golf. I was actually shocked I missed this when watching it as it happened. I didn't think I was that poor at multi-tasking. I remember Simon Dyson on the European Tour was convicted of tapping down a spike mark, but thats nothing like this. And he was suspended two months for that. This is taking shots off his scorecard by the virtue of unfair rulings that he knows he didn't deserve, three holes in a row. He should've been re-teeing. Not just once, three times. And the rules official who allowed these should have his position under review when he's altering a tournament to this extent. I don't think I've ever heard of one fan claiming someone else ran off with the ball, and the rules official taking their word for it. I also find it hard to believe a sprinkler head in a bush is impacting his stance twice in a row. Thats just too much of a coincidence. There has to be like a .000000001 chance that would actually happen. Who even knew there were sprinkler heads in bushes? Phil shouldn't have even tried to get away with this.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Phil didn't cheat

Why do we all hate Phil now?

He did cheat, I outlined it pretty clearly. If you don't consider that cheating, its extreme gaming of the rules three holes in a row. Not in the integrity of the game.

Looks like Bones is going to need to carry a few extra sprinkler heads today. Phil is wayward on one. :laugh:

Jan 3, 2012
If he actually did cheat, the Tour would be all over this?

I don't see how you know/saw something nobody else did

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Just like I thought, on the first hole, the cheat is trying to move a sign because he hit a wayward shot. You can't make this stuff up.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If he actually did cheat, the Tour would be all over this?

I don't see how you know/saw something nobody else did

It was cleared by the PGA Tour, but that doesn't mean its not cheating. They should be investigating their own rules official who allowed this. The guy got bullied by Phil three holes in a row. No one trying to protect the field would've given him three free drops. He'd probably be lucky to get one.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
35 minutes to play a 300 yard hole and he gets to move an unmovable obstruction.

I'm sorry, this is becoming such a joke. Someone with some power needs to call him on this.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Would be cool to see Pieters win. He reminds me of Jason Day - good putter, long hitter, poor accuracy off the tee. I like his game more than Hatton who is the same age and higher in the world rankings.

Jan 3, 2012
It was cleared by the PGA Tour, but that doesn't mean its not cheating. They should be investigating their own rules official who allowed this. The guy got bullied by Phil three holes in a row. No one trying to protect the field would've given him three free drops. He'd probably be lucky to get one.

What? It's the tours fault not Phil's then.

You can't fault Phil for trying to help himself.

If the student can convince the teacher to let him, and only him use a cheat sheet for a test, and he gets 20% better than the class, sure that is unfair, but it is the teachers fault.

People are always going to try and trick people above them and help themselves, it is the person in charge who should be strong enough to say no.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
What? It's the tours fault not Phil's then.

You can't fault Phil for trying to help himself.

If the student can convince the teacher to let him, and only him use a cheat sheet for a test, and he gets 20% better than the class, sure that is unfair, but it is the teachers fault.

People are always going to try and trick people above them and help themselves, it is the person in charge who should be strong enough to say no.

Golf is supposed to be an honorable sport. There's a reason there's no official referee in the sport. You are supposed to call rules violations on yourself, and your competitors are supposed to help you out with that. Rules officials are basically moderators for a situation that are also allowed to help out with calling violations and making judgements, but they are not a be all, end all referee like there is in other sports. There is no official one referee or group of referees in golf.

I hope he loses. I'll leave it at that, unless he does it again in this event. :laugh:

Jan 3, 2012
golf is supposed to be an honorable sport. There's a reason there's no official referee in the sport. You are supposed to call rules violations on yourself, and your competitors are supposed to help you out with that. Rules officials are basically moderators for a situation that are also allowed to help out with calling violations and making judgements, but they are not a be all, end all referee like there is in other sports. There is no official one referee or group of referees in golf.

I hope he loses. I'll leave it at that, unless he does it again in this event. :laugh:

a rules official made those decisions!

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I remember a few tournament ago at the Phoenix Open Jordan re-teed because his playing partners were unsure if his ball had crossed the hazard. They left it up to him because they were unsure, and instead of him saying that his ball had crossed the hazard, he wasn't sure, so he re-teed. Phil takes the opposite approach. Goes straight to cheating. Some are throwing around the theory that Bones carries two sprinkler heads in Phil's bag, and they took them out and used them today. :laugh:

If this guy wins tomorrow by anything less than four shots, as far as I'm concerned, its not a win. I don't remember the last time I saw cheating to this degree in pro golf. I was actually shocked I missed this when watching it as it happened. I didn't think I was that poor at multi-tasking. I remember Simon Dyson on the European Tour was convicted of tapping down a spike mark, but thats nothing like this. And he was suspended two months for that. This is taking shots off his scorecard by the virtue of unfair rulings that he knows he didn't deserve, three holes in a row. He should've been re-teeing. Not just once, three times. And the rules official who allowed these should have his position under review when he's altering a tournament to this extent. I don't think I've ever heard of one fan claiming someone else ran off with the ball, and the rules official taking their word for it. I also find it hard to believe a sprinkler head in a bush is impacting his stance twice in a row. Thats just too much of a coincidence. There has to be like a .000000001 chance that would actually happen. Who even knew there were sprinkler heads in bushes? Phil shouldn't have even tried to get away with this.

This will shock you but I completely agree.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If this was Tiger you guys would be saying something different I'd bet...

Okay, maybe I'll continue this discussion.

Actually, I absolutely wouldn't. Tiger is prone to cheating. He's done it a number of times. The Big Boulder in Tuscon, The BMW Championship where he altered his stance, the bad drop at Sawgrass, and the bad drop at Augusta. The only one of those situations that I don't think he deliberately meant to do what he did was Augusta.

I still am a fan of TW, despite his cheating. He was one of the most talented athletes of all time. I personally don't care about his flagrant disregard for the rules or his off the course behavior. That doesn't bother me, although of course I'd prefer that wasn't the case. I'm not saying Phil fans should stop being fans, but cheating is cheating. Phil should honorably withdraw from the event, just like TW should've done in Tuscon and he should've done at Sawgrass, two events he won after cheating. And frankly, thats like four incidents over the course of his career. This is four incidents in 10 holes.

Jan 3, 2012
Okay, maybe I'll continue this discussion.

Actually, I absolutely wouldn't. Tiger is prone to cheating. He's done it a number of times. The Big Boulder in Tuscon, The BMW Championship where he altered his stance, the bad drop at Sawgrass, and the bad drop at Augusta. The only one of those situations that I don't think he deliberately meant to do what he did was Augusta.

I still am a fan of TW, despite his cheating. He was one of the most talented athletes of all time. I personally don't care about his flagrant disregard for the rules or his off the course behavior. That doesn't bother me, although of course I'd prefer that wasn't the case. I'm not saying Phil fans should stop being fans, but cheating is cheating. Phil should honorably withdraw from the event, just like TW should've done in Tuscon and he should've done at Sawgrass, two events he won after cheating. And frankly, thats like four incidents over the course of his career. This is four incidents in 10 holes.

I'm still not convinced what Phil did was cheating.

Ethically ambiguous? Yeah probably.

Jan 3, 2012
Hopefully I finish this paper before this thing ends so I can watch it

also, hopefully Westwood doesn't win

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hopefully I finish this paper before this thing ends so I can watch it

also, hopefully Westwood doesn't win

I'm so behind on my work for this weekend.

:help:

I don't procrastinate with my work, but for some reason, this week I have, and I'm gonna create all types of problems for myself. Two tests to study for, and a paper I've written two sentences of. I feel so lazy this week, don't know why. Maybe its because I have spring break next week.

I was going to wake up early and do my work, but I got all worked up this morning when I saw the Rangers called up Tanner Glass. You can probably relate because Vancouver dealt with this man's infatuation with the worst hockey player in the NHL when was coaching you guys.

Sorry for remind you, but you probably remember this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad