Golf: All Purpose Golf Thread VI | 2017 PGA Tour Season: Here comes Cantlay!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 3, 2012
I do too, and its hard to. I think some are overreacting. Give him until the end of the year. Its the beginning of February. He's played three rounds, lets wait until he plays a number of rounds or has missed months of golf due to injury before we say that he's done.

Yeah really.

Hard to say he is done with one WD.

Jordan looking good at Pebble, as is Rahm. Rahm looking like he might be on the path to being an elite level golfer.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
"Overreacting".

A year and a half off. 3 rounds. Already "injured" again.

Not sure if you've been sleeping the past year and a half but he's already "missed months". The fact that he's supposedly "injured" again, while plausible, doesn't inspire confidence.

I continue and will continue to believe that Tiger is using his current "back spasms" excuse as cover for his mental issues that have plagued his game since he came back from his extra marital affair issues with the exception of periods in 2012 and 2013.

Didn't you tell me a few weeks ago that I was overreacting and to wait until the Masters?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I obviously don't approve of how TW's return has went, but I wouldn't say he's done. I think its an overreaction to claim that at this point.

Saw this just now.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Didn't you tell me a few weeks ago that I was overreacting and to wait until the Masters?

There's a massive difference between being concerned about the state of his game after nearly 18 months away and his first real competitive round and being concerned about his "injuries" and mental issues after the same time period away and only 3 competitive rounds. I'm sure you're intelligent enough to be able to discern the distinctions between the two.

I'll lay it out relatively straight forward for you; if Tiger can not play 3 competitive rounds of golf over the course of two weeks in almost ideal conditions without getting "injured" or "re-injuring" his fragile as tissue paper back, then he has no place on the tour and should not be golfing. Because, that would imply, if we want to be logical about things, that the nerve damage is so severe as to prevent him from training, working out and getting his game back to being in competitive shape.

Fact, Tiger is a mental headcase. Fact, Tiger's stubborn alpha dog personality hates displaying any sort of weakness. Fact, Tiger is rarely honest and straight forward when it comes to being honest about his injuries. Fact, Tiger has never been anything other than hesitant in grinding out rounds with embarrassing scores in order to get his game back in shape. Fact, Tiger sat down for almost an hour of Q&A with sponsors less than 24 hours after withdrawing from Dubai. Fact, Tiger and Notah have talked extensively about the changes in his gym and physical training regimen since the back injury and now all of a sudden he gets back spasms after coming back to competition and knowing he'll have to contend with horrid conditions his next round.

I don't know what to believe from Tiger anymore and I'm not the only one. He's never been very truthful to begin with but his latest episode with the back spasms is outlandish and tough to believe because it flies in the face of everything him and his PR people have been spouting for the past 6-9 months. If you want to be naive and believe that his back spasms stem from a workout gone wrong, go ahead. I don't because it's a convenient excuse and was probably done in mind to spare himself the embarrassment of likely missing two more cuts at the Genesis and Honda.

Tiger's hubris and his pride has been his downfall before and that strikes me as being the case once again. The guy should retire and save us all the dog and pony show. In the meantime, what he does or does not do from here on out isn't my concern. My rooting interest will be with Rory and Rory alone. He should spend some quality time with his family and enjoy life because this isn't worth it. I hope he does, but again, that damn pride and ego of his probably renders that unlikely.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Secret Tour Pro was wrong multiple times last year on Tiger's recovery and has had his credibility questioned by more than a few. Not exactly sure that's a source I'd hang my hat on.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
And I might as well mention, without the intention of drawing any direct parallels between myself and Tiger, that over the past 2 years I've had two stress fractures on my Tibia's, torn my rotator cuff and torn ligaments in my neck. I don't have anywhere near the means of Tiger in surrounding myself with the best neuro and ortho surgeons, physiotherapists and recovery experts nor the facilities in order to assist with my healing. Yet, somehow, I've been able to get the help in developing a workout regimen that works for me and the only chronic pain I still suffer from is my rotator cuff while being incredibly active physically and still playing sports.

If I can do it, I think Tiger could too. The only reason he wouldn't be able to is because of his own stubbornness or the injury is more severe or chronic in nature than anybody has let on.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
There's a massive difference between being concerned about the state of his game after nearly 18 months away and his first real competitive round and being concerned about his "injuries" and mental issues after the same time period away and only 3 competitive rounds. I'm sure you're intelligent enough to be able to discern the distinctions between the two.

I'll lay it out relatively straight forward for you; if Tiger can not play 3 competitive rounds of golf over the course of two weeks in almost ideal conditions without getting "injured" or "re-injuring" his fragile as tissue paper back, then he has no place on the tour and should not be golfing. Because, that would imply, if we want to be logical about things, that the nerve damage is so severe as to prevent him from training, working out and getting his game back to being in competitive shape.

Fact, Tiger is a mental headcase. Fact, Tiger's stubborn alpha dog personality hates displaying any sort of weakness. Fact, Tiger is rarely honest and straight forward when it comes to being honest about his injuries. Fact, Tiger has never been anything other than hesitant in grinding out rounds with embarrassing scores in order to get his game back in shape. Fact, Tiger sat down for almost an hour of Q&A with sponsors less than 24 hours after withdrawing from Dubai. Fact, Tiger and Notah have talked extensively about the changes in his gym and physical training regimen since the back injury and now all of a sudden he gets back spasms after coming back to competition and knowing he'll have to contend with horrid conditions his next round.

I don't know what to believe from Tiger anymore and I'm not the only one. He's never been very truthful to begin with but his latest episode with the back spasms is outlandish and tough to believe because it flies in the face of everything him and his PR people have been spouting for the past 6-9 months. If you want to be naive and believe that his back spasms stem from a workout gone wrong, go ahead. I don't because it's a convenient excuse and was probably done in mind to spare himself the embarrassment of likely missing two more cuts at the Genesis and Honda.

Tiger's hubris and his pride has been his downfall before and that strikes me as being the case once again. The guy should retire and save us all the dog and pony show. In the meantime, what he does or does not do from here on out isn't my concern. My rooting interest will be with Rory and Rory alone. He should spend some quality time with his family and enjoy life because this isn't worth it. I hope he does, but again, that damn pride and ego of his probably renders that unlikely.

I agree with most of this, but I think you are going overboard with the last paragraph.

I know he's probably lying about something with this whole situation. Do I care? No, I'll still root for him when he returns, if that does happen. I'd tend to agree with you that it might not actually be back spasms, and he might've just embarrassed himself so much that he feels the need to work on his game at home instead of miss 4 cuts in 5 weeks.

And obviously I'm not saying its not annoying or hard to have to deal with as a fan, but you just got to accept the situation that he's currently not very good, he has a terrible swing, and he might have back issues. You shouldn't stop being a fan of his because the past few months, and really the past few years have been difficult. 2010 and 2011 were pretty difficult as well. Lets hope he's able to be healthy enough to play consistently, and he can start playing better golf. I wouldn't give up on his career yet.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I agree with most of this, but I think you are going overboard with the last paragraph.

I know he's probably lying about something with this whole situation. Do I care? No, I'll still root for him when he returns, if that does happen. I'd tend to agree with you that it might not actually be back spasms, and he might've just embarrassed himself so much that he feels the need to work on his game at home instead of miss 4 cuts in 5 weeks.

And obviously I'm not saying its not annoying or hard to have to deal with as a fan, but you just got to accept the situation that he's currently not very good, he has a terrible swing, and he might have back issues. You shouldn't stop being a fan of his because the past few months, and really the past few years have been difficult. 2010 and 2011 were pretty difficult as well. Lets hope he's able to be healthy enough to play consistently, and he can start playing better golf. I wouldn't give up on his career yet.

I think, more than anything, the emotional roller coaster has taken a toll on me and I just can't be bothered to suffer through the ups and downs as well as the deceit and misdirection with him anymore. Like you said, since 2009 it's been a rough ride with the exception of a couple years and it's dampened my enjoyment of the sport and it's just not very much fun. The fact that he's hurting his legacy (IMO) and all the incredible golf he played doesn't help either.

If he can come back and find his game again, I'll be happy for him and would like to see it. Right now, can't see myself having an emotional connection with it or be interested in following him like I have the past decade and a half, though.

PanthersPens62

Paul & Stanley
Mar 7, 2009
Home of The Cup
I think, more than anything, the emotional roller coaster has taken a toll on me and I just can't be bothered to suffer through the ups and downs as well as the deceit and misdirection with him anymore. Like you said, since 2009 it's been a rough ride with the exception of a couple years and it's dampened my enjoyment of the sport and it's just not very much fun. The fact that he's hurting his legacy (IMO) and all the incredible golf he played doesn't help either.

If he can come back and find his game again, I'll be happy for him and would like to see it. Right now, can't see myself having an emotional connection with it or be interested in following him like I have the past decade and a half, though.
This pretty much sums up my feelings as well.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
I obviously don't approve of how TW's return has went, but I wouldn't say he's done. I think its an overreaction to claim that at this point.

Saw this just now.

How does Secret Pro explain Tiger's gingerly movements in his interview on Wednesday and his first round?

Jan 3, 2012
Day is +4 thru 5 on the back of Pebble and tumbling down the leaderboard. Hopefully he can turn it around and get back a few on the much easier front.

Wild11MN

First round losers
Sponsor
May 28, 2013
MN
How does the Pro-Am tourney actually work? I see there are separate scoreboards, and it seems like the celebs only shoot on certain holes. I'm just confused by the format.

Jan 3, 2012
Spieth is killing it, but Sned has got into second 4 back, and is demonstrating just how much easier the front 9 is at pebble compared to the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad