Player Discussion All Purpose Goaltending Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Same. The PK stick and positional details have been much better, but as things are moving forward, they have stopped giving up as many odd-man rushes and fewer cross-seam passes.

100%. The team stumbled out of the gate this season, but if they keep trending like they have been, I have little doubt all of our goalies will see improvement in their playnumbers.

PatLaFontaineASMR

Jul 9, 2014
Parts Unkown
Let's do some logic here, shall we?

Botterill acquired Thompson in 7/1/2018. He was the key piece of the O'Reilly trade.

Would have GMJB sold they key prospect of the RoR deal in year 1 for a late pick? No.

Thompson missed the vast majority of the 2019-2020 season. When is GMJB selling an injured prospect who was the lynchpin of his biggest trade for pennies on the dollar?

GMJB was fired in July 2020.

The next year, TT had 14 points in 38 games and looked like a lost on the ice most of the time.

My guess is that Adams made TT available during the 2021 expansion draft because he likely wanted to go get another forward that was available. Or maybe he wanted to protect 4 d-men instead of 3. Maybe it was at the trade deadline that year rather than the expansion draft. Either way, GMJB didn't have a logical opportunity to sell of Thompson for scraps. He was either still a very raw prospect (2018-19) and the big part of the RoR trade or injured (2019-20). It was Adams who tried to sell him off for scraps, not JB.
The funny thing is your "logical" explanation completely ignores the report that this rumor came from.

Friedman in December 2022 said that "2-3 years ago a good team could've had Tage for a 5th"

So that would be from 2019-2020. Adams was the GM only for 6 months in that period. During that 6 months he signed Tage to an extension on October 5th 2020 so it makes no sense he would be trying to move him.

The expansion draft was in the summer of 2021. Not close to the timeline Friedman mentioned. Adams also protected Tage during the draft. If Adams was actually that willing to sell off Tage for scraps he wouldn't have protected him over Girgensons.

So you just completely ignored the original report to completely make up a rumor that Adams tried to trade him for scraps.

"GMJB was fired in July 2020."

Botts was still expected to be the GM going forward before he got fired. Pegulas publicly supported him as GM a month before that. The firing came when Botts refused to fire some his staff.

Tage was an RFA at the end of the summer. Not that crazy for Botts to move on from a guy if he wasn't playing on giving him a QO. It was almost 2 years from the ROR trade at that point. Plenty of fans were very down on Tage at that time & wanted him to be traded. You can definitley trade a player when they're injured. Might've even been the reason why the contender turned down the trade.

Reactions: Mattilaus

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
The funny thing is your "logical" explanation completely ignores the report that this rumor came from.

Friedman in December 2022 said that "2-3 years ago a good team could've had Tage for a 5th"

So that would be from 2019-2020. Adams was the GM only for 6 months in that period. During that 6 months he signed Tage to an extension on October 5th 2020 so it makes no sense he would be trying to move him.

The expansion draft was in the summer of 2021. Not close to the timeline Friedman mentioned. Adams also protected Tage during the draft. If Adams was actually that willing to sell off Tage for scraps he wouldn't have protected him over Girgensons.

So you just completely ignored the original report to completely make up a rumor that Adams tried to trade him for scraps.

It's far more likely that his "guess" on the timeline was wrong. It doesn't make any sense for GMJB to move Thompson for scraps. He had AHL eligibility left.

I think the likely scenario is Adams wanted to protect 4 d-men (Dahlin/Risto/Borgen/Joker) but didn't want to lose Thompson for nothing so he offered around and found no takers.

"GMJB was fired in July 2020."

Botts was still expected to be the GM going forward before he got fired. Pegulas publicly supported him as GM a month before that. The firing came when Botts refused to fire some his staff.

Tage was an RFA at the end of the summer. Not that crazy for Botts to move on from a guy if he wasn't playing on giving him a QO. It was almost 2 years from the ROR trade at that point. Plenty of fans were very down on Tage at that time & wanted him to be traded. You can definitley trade a player when they're injured. Might've even been the reason why the contender turned down the trade.

The only real spot that would fit that narrative would be the 2020 trade deadline.

I can't find a reason why a contender would take on a project prospect that wasn't AHL eligible and had a potential career ending injury that they would have to qualify that summer.

The most logical fit for the team dumping Thompson was the 2021 expansion draft. He had a disappointing season, was signed for two more years, and Adams was probably exploring what he could get for him rather than lose him for nothing if he opted for a different protection plan.

I'm sure neither GM would ever fess up no matter the case. I still think Adams being the one that dangled him is FAR more likely than GMJB.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
.....which means that by now it's complete reflex to many to blame the goalies even when the goalies carry little/no blame.

This year over a very small sample of nine games, we have Levi slightly below, UPL just below average and Comrie above. saves expected. The problem in 2023-24 is we are not scoring. If we get this level of goaltending, which would be average, we will make the playoffs because I believe the scoring will rebound. We got nowhere near this goaltending from UPL or Comrie last year, and they played a lot of games. We got really bad goaltending in 2021-22 from Tokarski /Anderson/Dell.

All the Sabres need is average goaltending if you ask me. If we get actual decent/good goaltending, this team could be dangerous.

I'm not saying expected goals is the only measure, like any stat, it has its flaws.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
This year over a very small sample of nine games, we have Levi slightly below, UPL just below average and Comrie above. saves expected. The problem in 2023-24 is we are not scoring. If we get this level of goaltending, which would be average, we will make the playoffs because I believe the scoring will rebound. We got nowhere near this goaltending from UPL or Comrie last year, and they played a lot of games. We got really bad goaltending in 2021-22 from Tokarski /Anderson/Dell.

All the Sabres need is average goaltending if you ask me. If we get actual decent/good goaltending, this team could be dangerous.

I'm not saying expected goals is the only measure, like any stat, it has its flaws.
I do believe the Sabres are playing a more defensively sound brand of hockey. However, that is going to come at a cost to their goalscoring. I just don't think we're going to see the kind of numbers we did last season, especially from Tage who seems to be turning the corner on his 2-way play.

That said, I'll happily take a 35 goal/75 point season from Tage if it means he's a strong 2-way guy that is winning key draws and playing against top players. The goal for him should be to "win" his matchup and the points will come.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I do believe the Sabres are playing a more defensively sound brand of hockey. However, that is going to come at a cost to their goalscoring. I just don't think we're going to see the kind of numbers we did last season, especially from Tage who seems to be turning the corner on his 2-way play.

That said, I'll happily take a 35 goal/75 point season from Tage if it means he's a strong 2-way guy that is winning key draws and playing against top players. The goal for him should be to "win" his matchup and the points will come.

Thompson's D-zone coverage was horrific last year. You can only get away with that if you score like he did. The D also just better (until we get nailed with injury.) Erik Johnson is better than almost everything we had on 3rd pair last year, and that's true for Clifton, too. But the bar is pretty low with Fitzgerald, Stillman, Pilut, Bryson, Clague. We did not have NHL players for multiple games. Expect injuries and a real decline if we lose one of top 3 for extended time. Jokiharju is playing very well, but we have seen that show before. He's a 4/5 guy. To me the wildcard is whether Ryan Johnson can ramp up his game in Rochester and play meaningful NHL minutes in 2023-24. I don't see much else on roster for D and that includes Bryson.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
2.PNG

3.PNG

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Also, something Marty touches on was that the first four games (all of Levi’s starts), vs the five prior to last night are dramatically different defensively. Levi went out and they ramped up being better in their own zone. Yes, last night was more of a throwback, but the team is doing more to help than prior. I want to see Levi with that sort of defensive play in front of him.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
UPL needs to start the next game as well unless he is tired/hurt. If we go the path of developing a starter you should absolutely ride the hot hand but if you want growth you need to offer multiple chances snd bounce back games.

He does need some serious breakaway training though.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
UPL needs to start the next game as well unless he is tired/hurt. If we go the path of developing a starter you should absolutely ride the hot hand but if you want growth you need to offer multiple chances snd bounce back games.

He does need some serious breakaway training though.
Disagree with you on this one. He's not "hot" at all. Levi 's turn.
UPL is Lehner level performing on breakaways. God help this team if he has to perform in a shoot out.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Disagree with you on this one. He's not "hot" at all. Levi 's turn.
UPL is Lehner level performing on breakaways. God help this team if he has to perform in a shoot out.
Yeah I'd change goalie in OT.

Not saying he's hot now but if we want to get to some sort of "baseline goaltending" there needs to be continuity.
It's hard to play in front of different goalies. If we switch to Levi then we should stick with him at least. If we continue to suck like this he's probably the one best equipped to handle the breakaway bukkake.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
UPL still has the same issues he's had for years, mostly not trusting his size. Weeksie pointed out what we've been saying for years before last nights game, when he's calm, stays upright and trusts his size he's usually fine. But for a 6'5 goalie, he too often plays like he's 6'0 leaning forward sprawling on the ice. Bales certainly hasnt helped him with that, seems like he's still content with trying to glove everything vs just letting the damn puck hit him.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
An experienced starting goaliewould solve some problems, at least in order not to give Levi and UPL a greater workload and allow them to develop, instead they get four games in a row, and the coaching staff does not seem to understand how to manage such goalies.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
UPL still has the same issues he's had for years, mostly not trusting his size. Weeksie pointed out what we've been saying for years before last nights game, when he's calm, stays upright and trusts his size he's usually fine. But for a 6'5 goalie, he too often plays like he's 6'0 leaning forward sprawling on the ice. Bales certainly hasnt helped him with that, seems like he's still content with trying to glove everything vs just letting the damn puck hit him.

He's got a big body, and when he uses it right he might be an NHL backup. His reflexes are not NHL and he couldn't stop Bill Hajt on a breakaway. He's terrible one on one. He played two games and had some moments and people said he arrived. He'll be back where he belongs, a below average goalie.

The Sabres have $8.5 M in cap. Could create even more with Bryson in minors. They put their faith on three goalies with little or no resume to show -- not a slight against Levi who should be given some AHL team on a normal team.

We went into last year with no goaltending plan that was realistic and we did it again this year.

It boggles the mind after 12 years of no playoffs..

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
He's got a big body, and when he uses it right he might be an NHL backup. His reflexes are not NHL and he couldn't stop Bill Hajt on a breakaway. He's terrible one on one. He played two games and had some moments and people said he arrived. He'll be back where he belongs, a below average goalie.

The Sabres have $8.5 M in cap. Could create even more with Bryson in minors. They put their faith on three goalies with little or no resume to show -- not a slight against Levi who should be given some AHL team on a normal team.

We went into last year with no goaltending plan that was realistic and we did it again this year.

It boggles the mind after 12 years of no playoffs..
That is because solving it is easier in theory than in practice.

Exhibit A: The Oilers giving Campbell 5x5 on 7/13/2022 and wanting to fire him into the sun a mere 16 months later.

2.PNG

There were no locks when it comes to goalies that changed teams in FA this summer.

There is no way I would have wanted the Sabres to outbid Ottawa for Korpisalo.

Blackwood may have been the best guy that changed teams and who knows what he would look like here given that he is getting torched in SJ behind a horribad rebuilding team.

And none of the big name trade targets moved anywhere, likely because their GMs wanted an insane trade return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad