Player Discussion All Purpose Goaltending Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
According to 32 thoughts(can’t remember if it was Elliott or Marek) but they said there was a trade, agreed upon by both GM’s. Tage Thompson for a 5th, but Shanahan nixed it if I recall correctly.

This trade was pre Seattle expansion draft if I’m remembering everything right.
I have a hard time believing this. The 3 year extension shows that Adams believed in Tage, at least to me. I think Adams/Granato has valued Tage close to @sabremike level.

PatLaFontaineASMR

Jul 9, 2014
Parts Unkown
I thought it was Botts who tried to trade Tage for a 5th?
Yea Friedman said it was 3 years ago and that particular podcast was almost a year ago. Adams was still VP of business at that time. No clue how somebody got "Adams was trying to trade him for a 5th" out of that. People just making up stuff.

Adams even signed Tage to an extension 3 months after he became GM. Doesn't even make sense that he was trying to trade him.

Reactions: Beerz

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
UPL gets his first career shutout in a stellar performance against arguably the offensive wagon of the league, and here I am posting in the Shit-on-Kevyn-Adams thread.

Reactions: Dingo44

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Those Bauer pads are pretty sharp @oldgoalie

1698624117311.png

PatLaFontaineASMR

Jul 9, 2014
Parts Unkown
Well, it was actually YOU who wanted to trade thompson.

And also YOU who was against that contract.

So maybe, not criticize KA on that front?
Adams should trade Tage the guy is useless. What a bad contract

2 years later

Can you believe Adams wanted to trade Tage? The guy stinks!

Even though the "Adams wanting to trade Tage" is just made up anyways. We've gotten to the point where we gotta completely make stuff up to shit on Adams for lmao.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
UPL plays like that, and you have no goaltending issues. Got only lucky on a couple of plays mostly he was in great position all night and really controlled rebounds. He's about average now for all this games in terms of expected goals which would be fine by me. I'm good with average to okay goaltending.

Reactions: joshjull

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Yea Friedman said it was 3 years ago and that particular podcast was almost a year ago. Adams was still VP of business at that time. No clue how somebody got "Adams was trying to trade him for a 5th" out of that. People just making up stuff.

Adams even signed Tage to an extension 3 months after he became GM. Doesn't even make sense that he was trying to trade him.
Apologies for mis-remembering a story I heard a year ago and agreed after I was corrected that I had mis-remembered.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Whodathunkit that the goalies aren't that bad if they're not constantly giving shots they're not realistically expected to stop

They are
You forget just how good Hasek was. He played behind a D nearly as bad as our current D. Plus, he didn't get the goal support that our current goalies receive.

Of course, he was a perennial Hart finalist and 6 time Vezina winner, so it's not fair to compare our current goalies to Hasek

So many people never saw Hasek. The biggest crime in Sabres history is not giving the greatest goalie in history a good team.

Reactions: oldgoalie

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
UPL plays like that, and you have no goaltending issues. Got only lucky on a couple of plays mostly he was in great position all night and really controlled rebounds. He's about average now for all this games in terms of expected goals which would be fine by me. I'm good with average to okay goaltending.
Yep! Im not UPL’s biggest fan (I’d obviously love for him to take the net) but think he got a bad shake in that Devils game.

A lot of people blaming him for that loss.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Yep! Im not UPL’s biggest fan (I’d obviously love for him to take the net) but think he got a bad shake in that Devils game.

A lot of people blaming him for that loss.

A lot of people are blaming the goaltending (or bemoaning the situation in general) for every loss due to reflex. Sabres lost? Had to be due to goaltending and not the defense being utter shit!!!!

Well, now it's kind of becoming obvious -- our goaltending situation isn't BAD. It's pretty freaking average. And as some here predicted, watch what happens when our defense becomes sturdier......all of a sudden, our goalies don't look bad at all. They look....average. Yes, each one has let in a goal or two that they'd want back......but every goalie in the NHL lets one on that they want back once in a while.

When our defense becomes playoff-caliber.....our goalies won't be the reason we miss the playoffs.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I thought it was Botts who tried to trade Tage for a 5th?

That sounds more correct. I don’t think Elliotte or Marek are mentioning it on their podcast without verification.

But yeah I think it was a Botts tenure thing not Adams.

Let's do some logic here, shall we?

Botterill acquired Thompson in 7/1/2018. He was the key piece of the O'Reilly trade.

Would have GMJB sold they key prospect of the RoR deal in year 1 for a late pick? No.

Thompson missed the vast majority of the 2019-2020 season. When is GMJB selling an injured prospect who was the lynchpin of his biggest trade for pennies on the dollar?

GMJB was fired in July 2020.

The next year, TT had 14 points in 38 games and looked like a lost on the ice most of the time.

My guess is that Adams made TT available during the 2021 expansion draft because he likely wanted to go get another forward that was available. Or maybe he wanted to protect 4 d-men instead of 3. Maybe it was at the trade deadline that year rather than the expansion draft. Either way, GMJB didn't have a logical opportunity to sell of Thompson for scraps. He was either still a very raw prospect (2018-19) and the big part of the RoR trade or injured (2019-20). It was Adams who tried to sell him off for scraps, not JB.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
A lot of people are blaming the goaltending (or bemoaning the situation in general) for every loss due to reflex. Sabres lost? Had to be due to goaltending and not the defense being utter shit!!!!

Well, now it's kind of becoming obvious -- our goaltending situation isn't BAD. It's pretty freaking average. And as some here predicted, watch what happens when our defense becomes sturdier......all of a sudden, our goalies don't look bad at all. They look....average. Yes, each one has let in a goal or two that they'd want back......but every goalie in the NHL lets one on that they want back once in a while.

When our defense becomes playoff-caliber.....our goalies won't be the reason we miss the playoffs.

It's not reflex. We have had bad bad goaltending since Ullmark. Our expected goals almost always negatve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad