Player Discussion All Purpose Goaltending Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
That's an interesting hot take, ditch the 24yo goalie that has had a convoluted development path following his double hip surgery. It's not like he hasn't had flashes where he has been excellent. He's at the age where most goalies still struggle with consistency before finding their game
I'm still convinced he's got 1A upside and can compete with Levi. Comrie's isn't terrible but there's no need to keep him much longer.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I think UPL still has starting potential, and has shown a lot of flashes the past 12 months. But I think it is difficult to develop two goalies at once in the NHL and you need a plan.

Carrying three goalies seems like a bad plan. Both UPL and Levi need starts. It’s not surprising the UPL is becoming more consistent when he getting somewhat regular starts. Same with Comrie this season.

I think they need to either commit to developing UPL as the second goalie and move Comrie OR move UPL and commit to Comrie as the “ vet” behind Levi and focus your development on Levi. I have seen enough of UPL that I prefer option one this season and see what happens. Plus Comrie has not show the ability to stay healthy in a season, he would scare me as a number 2.

The problem is the Sabres seem to think there is an option 3 and just keep all of them and focus on Levi. Which just gives us inconsistent play from the other two. I don’t like carrying three goalies where two of them are trying to develop.

Last edited:

BG82

Jan 25, 2008
Niagara Falls
The simple answer is ride UPL and Levi as they're the only goalies signed beyond this season. Comrie will probably look for greener pastures and you won't exactly entice quality UFAs with promising them a backup role to a 22yo
Agreed, by the time we genuinely know what we got with UPL and Levi, Tobias Leinonen should be close as well. Regardless I don't see another goalie brought in from outside the organization again anytime soon

michaelsaas

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Beaumont, TX
The simple answer is ride UPL and Levi as they're the only goalies signed beyond this season. Comrie will probably look for greener pastures and you won't exactly entice quality UFAs with promising them a backup role to a 22yo
That makes sense. If we are doing it we should definitely try to trade Comrie to Edmonton.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Someone has to go the other way for McDavid...
Or Draisaitl like ATW talked about last week...

2.PNG

If they want to make the playoffs this year, trading Comrie and keeping UPL might not work out great.

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
Or Draisaitl like ATW talked about last week...

View attachment 767633

If they want to make the playoffs this year, trading Comrie and keeping UPL might not work out great.
MoneyPuck erroneously gave UPL 4 goals against in the game v. Pittsburgh (one was an empty net goal). If you go to the game sheet they have him as having 4 goals against and his expected goals went up as though he gave up 4 in that game. FWIW, I think his actual MoneyPuck xga is -1.4 not -2.4. I'm not sure if it will get corrected, but it kind of makes me question what I read there.

NameTOIxGoals AgainstActual Goals AgainstGoals Saved Above Expected
Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen59:012.6444-1.36

Also, these #'s are are subjective. Even advanced stats involve humans making judgments. Hockey Reference has Comrie at 0.8, UPL at 0.1 and Levi at -1.2 and they have UPL at 50% for quality starts and Levi at 33%.

Not saying I agree with one over the other. Either way, I think our goaltending overall this year has been about average. On MoneyPuck, the goalies who they have below UPL on xga are a who's who of goalies that many Sabre's fans wanted the team to pursue over the last couple of years (Raanta, Vanecek, Husso, Campbell, Vladar).

RoyalOverNavy

Feb 25, 2023
I'm writing the below statements just minutes after Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen backstopped a 3-2 win over Chicago, and it may not be a popular take.
I'm basing them on what I've seen through 18 games this season.

Luukkonen needs to start two out of every three Sabres games.
Eric Comrie needs to start the other one.
Devon Levi needs to start two out of every three Amerks games.

Luukkonen is the team's best goalie right now, and he's given me no reason to think his form will dip that much.
Comrie looks like a reliable backup.
Levi needs reps against professional hockey players, and I'm sure he'll benefit from it.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
I'm writing the below statements just minutes after Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen backstopped a 3-2 win over Chicago, and it may not be a popular take.

Luukkonen is the team's best goalie right now, and he's given me no reason to think his form will dip that much.
Levi needs reps against professional hockey players, and I'm sure he'll benefit from it.

Levi needs to be starting the other game, with UPL playing 2 out of every 3. Comrie is not the answer. This team needs a goalie who can do more than make the saves they are supposed to make. Dump him for a bag of pucks if you can get that for him

RoyalOverNavy

Feb 25, 2023
Levi needs to be starting the other game, with UPL playing 2 out of every 3. Comrie is not the answer. This team needs a goalie who can do more than make the saves they are supposed to make. Dump him for a bag of pucks if you can get that for him
I'm not as anti-Comrie as you, but I do understand your take.
I want to see Levi play a lot of games in this season, but not at the expense of Luukkonen.
That's why I think DL27 should put in an AHL shift.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

I tend to agree with you but I wonder if UPL can maintain the pace if he plays 2 out of 3.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Comrie has been better than Levi.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo

Agreed (but strong disagree on your username :laugh:.) I'm glad that it's looking like we didn't bail on UPL right before he's potentially establishing himself in the league. As what is still to be determined ofc.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'm fine trading Comrie because he just doesn't have a future in Buffalo. But right now the best move is for UPL and Levi to get the most starts possible. That means Levi in Rochester and UPL in Buffalo. Then they go tandem next season.

I don't think KA will, for whatever reason, send Levi down. I can't tell if it's being too stubborn to change the plan or too worried about Levi's psyche.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Hello Sabres fans.

Just curious, if you have a goaltending issue, and UPL is more like a quality #2… how about Jarry?
I mean, you’d prefer Rinne short term, or Gibson.. or something… but for arguments sake say its Jarry.

Comrie and what?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad