Player Discussion All Purpose Goaltending Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
What's the rush? If we don't make the playoffs this year, the entire franchise gets sucked into a black hole...

Jokes aside, they should play their best players. If internally they believe Levi will be one of the 40 or so best goalies in the league, he deserves starts here.

I prefer the "organizational #2" model of him starting ~35 games in Roch, while getting called up to Buff for 25-30 starts across the year.
Well if 6k performs like he did in the second half, there doesn't seem to be a need but I whole heartedly agree with playing your best players.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Not sure if this is new reporting from Lance, but this throws a wrench in plenty of folks' projected roster...
Lance has been saying this all summer. This isn't new information he's reporting on.

Lance quotes Adams from June:

"We are going to have two real talented goaltenders playing on a nightly basis," Adams said. "Which I think is great. And then we’ll make sure we have depth covered. It’s a conversation that we’re open to looking at different options, different things. But that’s our plan at the moment."

So they are also open to looking at different options, different things. And that was there plan "at the moment".

It doesn't seem like an Adams thing to risk losing their #3 goalie to waivers. I could be wrong. After several years of having a shortage of goalies because teams were looking to sign real solid 3rd string goalies, it now seems like there is a glut of goalies. Duffer seemed to think lots of goalies like Reimer clear waivers. I don't fully agree.

Hopefully it's two real talented goaltenders playing on a nightly basis. One for the Sabres, one for the Amerks.

Last edited:

oldwpgjet

Apr 11, 2021
I think the 3 headed goalie monster will be around for a few games maybe until a couple games each. Then ,if all things being equal, Levi will be sent down unless Levi is lights out and then it isn't all things being equal. If Reimer shits the bed, then it would make slipping past waivers a little easier. Will be an interesting watch to start the season.

Reactions: Jacob582

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Will they start UPL in back to back games to start the season? If not, Levi may start game number 2 if he looks better than Reimer. They will bring three goalies to Europe since they are allowed an expanded roster.

I don't think they will carry 3 long term. Last year they had 5 goalies (UPL, Comrie, Levi, Tokarski, Cooley) under NHL contract, this year they have 4 (UPL, Reimer, Levi, Sandstrom). Houser can cover some in Rochester, but I don't think that's their long term goal for the season.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Some people seem to assume that playing more games in Rochester would be better for Levi's development than a time share in the NHL. I'm not sure this is the case. Sure, reps are reps, but the AHL has less talent and is much less structured.

In fact, both Ullmark and UPL commented about this and both had better numbers in the NHL than the A. I'd send Levi down if and only if Reimer is clearly better, which is something I'll be shocked about if it actually happens.

Ultimately goalies are voodoo to me so I'll defer to the goalie nerds. But Levi was already good at the NHL level and elite at the AHL level last year, if he develops a little bit and doesn't take a step back, there's no reason we shouldn't see a ~60%/40% split of NHL games between UPL and Levi.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Some people seem to assume that playing more games in Rochester would be better for Levi's development than a time share in the NHL. I'm not sure this is the case. Sure, reps are reps, but the AHL has less talent and is much less structured.

In fact, both Ullmark and UPL commented about this and both had better numbers in the NHL than the A. I'd send Levi down if and only if Reimer is clearly better, which is something I'll be shocked about if it actually happens.

Ultimately goalies are voodoo to me so I'll defer to the goalie nerds. But Levi was already good at the NHL level and elite at the AHL level last year, if he develops a little bit and doesn't take a step back, there's no reason we shouldn't see a ~60%/40% split of NHL games between UPL and Levi.
0 chance Reimer would make it through waivers. You play Levi in Rochester and call him up for back to backs that are relatively local ie Toronto, Ottawa, Pittsburgh so he gets NHL reps without risking the loss of Reimer

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

I’ve said numerous times that 6K had shitty numbers in the A, because it’s more chaotic. And also a double hip surgery takes at least a couple of years to recover from.

Levi should be in the A, because they have way more practice time down there. Especially seeing the team now has a goalie that I wanted them to sign 3 years ago to be the starter, and has been fine since then on shitty teams.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

Ah, the legendary "goalies are voodoo" comment. :laugh:

Goaltender is the most mentally challenging position in all of sports. Reps for a skater aren't the same as reps for a goaltender. Sitting on a bench and time-sharing is not good for a young goalie's development. Buffalo should keep Levi in the AHL unless he's called up with the intent to start him in Buffalo.

The structure and talent of the AHL are irrelevant. Some NHL goalies have started in the ECHL, which is a league which rarely produces an NHL level player outside of goalies. Being able to put the technique together with reading the play, and understanding angles, shooter tendencies, etc. can happen at any level. Levi isn't getting that wearing a baseball cap in a 60/40 time share.

This isn't just my opinion. I asked Mitch Korn about it. That's his opinion too.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Ah, the legendary "goalies are voodoo" comment. :laugh:

Goaltender is the most mentally challenging position in all of sports. Reps for a skater aren't the same as reps for a goaltender. Sitting on a bench and time-sharing is not good for a young goalie's development. Buffalo should keep Levi in the AHL unless he's called up with the intent to start him in Buffalo.

The structure and talent of the AHL are irrelevant. Some NHL goalies have started in the ECHL, which is a league which rarely produces an NHL level player outside of goalies. Being able to put the technique together with reading the play, and understanding angles, shooter tendencies, etc. can happen at any level. Levi isn't getting that wearing a baseball cap in a 60/40 time share.

This isn't just my opinion. I asked Mitch Korn about it. That's his opinion too.
We aren't voodoo. This position is just f***ing hard- mentally and physically. Back in the 70s there was a great magazine article about goaltending called "Knight in a Padded Cell". That's truer today than it was back in the day. Standing in front of people firing a 3oz frozen disc of rubber at over 100 miles per hour at you takes some serious mental gymnastics.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
We aren't voodoo. This position is just f***ing hard- mentally and physically. Back in the 70s there was a great magazine article about goaltending called "Knight in a Padded Cell". That's truer today than it was back in the day. Standing in front of people firing a 3oz frozen disc of rubber at over 100 miles per hour at you takes some serious mental gymnastics.

Nah. You’re all just nuts.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Current Sabres Organizational Prospect Goalie Depth:

Devon Levi - Buffalo/Rochester
Scott Ratzlaff - Seattle WHL
Topias Leinonen Mora IK Sweden
Ryerson Leenders Brantford OHL (traded to 8/24)

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Current Sabres Organizational Prospect Goalie Depth:

Devon Levi - Buffalo/Rochester
Scott Ratzlaff - Seattle WHL
Topias Leinonen Mora IK Sweden
Ryerson Leenders Brantford OHL (traded to 8/24)

Houser I think has a 2-way AHL/ECHL deal with Rochester. Yeah, he's not TECHNICALLY Buffalo property, but I consider him part of the organizational depth. He's been on an NHL 2-way before.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Houser I think has a 2-way AHL/ECHL deal with Rochester. Yeah, he's not TECHNICALLY Buffalo property, but I consider him part of the organizational depth. He's been on an NHL 2-way before.
This is a Sabres Goalie Prospects List as mentioned

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad