OT: All-Purpose Expos Return Speculation Topic

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Not only is there a big difference between thinking you'll go to X games and then actually putting down the money and going, if you want the team to return there is an incentive to overestimate what you would buy to make it seem more appealing to the powers that be.

Pretty sure those who commissioned the study have accounted for a certain margin of error. None of these studies are ever 100% accurate, goes without saying.

Best indicator would have been individuals and corporations putting up deposits but we're not at that point yet.

Reactions: Sorinth

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Lets be real. What was lacking was corporate presence with the original Expos. MLB is much less gate driven than say...the NHL. The revenue sharing program is much different than it was in 2004 and teams like the Rays, even with terrible attendance, are still in the black most of the time. Also, the Expos did not have a big TV deal back then but now with competition from RDS and TVA as well as Bell and Sportsnet, I am sure the Expos will be on TV 162 nights a year.

The landscaped has changed drastically.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Lets be real. What was lacking was corporate presence with the original Expos. MLB is much less gate driven than say...the NHL. The revenue sharing program is much different than it was in 2004 and teams like the Rays, even with terrible attendance, are still in the black most of the time. Also, the Expos did not have a big TV deal back then but now with competition from RDS and TVA as well as Bell and Sportsnet, I am sure the Expos will be on TV 162 nights a year.

The landscaped has changed drastically.

Correct. TV revenues from the Canadian market alone rank about in the middle of all MLB markets.

As an aside, if the project comes to be, I'll have a thought for Randy Tieman, who covered the Expos for years and who remained a huge Expos fan and proponent over the years. I'm hopeful ownership gets this thing right, should they be greenlighted.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Pretty sure those who commissioned the study have accounted for a certain margin of error. None of these studies are ever 100% accurate, goes without saying.

Best indicator would have been individuals and corporations putting up deposits but we're not at that point yet.

Sampling here was not random at all. Respondents were specifically chosen among these groups:

Survey findings
The results of the survey are of special interest. The respondents came from three databases: the Chamber of Commerce of Metropolitan Montreal, the Expos Nation Facebook Page and Baseball Quebec Membership. Combined, these databases total 245,000 people, of which 13,900 completed the survey, representing 6%, with a margin of error of 0.81%. The survey covered a wide range of topics including interest in Major League Baseball, attitude towards potential return of an MLB team, preferred ballpark design and capacity, anticipated transportation methods, interest in purchasing tickets, preferred premium amenities as well as configurations and considered demographic and socioeconomic profile. Here are the key findings from the survey:

Consultations show strong support for the return of Major League Baseball to Montreal

Think this study was more to generate hype and increase interest among gen pop. Time will come to walk the walk - deposits.

Reactions: Runner77

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
Honestly, I’d love the expos but if I had to chose I think an NBA franchise would make more sense.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Honestly, I’d love the expos but if I had to chose I think an NBA franchise would make more sense.

Not enough interest for NBA in Montreal. Also heard Bell Center could not be used as a good basket arena as court view is obstructed from a a lot of seats.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
If one ****ing penny of public money is spent on the return of baseball here I'm burning down city hall.

**** that ****. We had it, they ****ed us, they left. Baseball no longer exists, I'm not going through this ****show again.

Fix the infrastructure instead.

I'm against full funding from tax payers but would be open to some perks. Afterall we still subsidize the RIO/Big O to the tune of $20m per year for operations with major retrofitting (roof) on the horizon yet no one seems to complain.

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010
I'm against full funding from tax payers but would be open to some perks. Afterall we still subsidize the RIO/Big O to the tune of $20m per year for operations with major retrofitting (roof) on the horizon yet no one seems to complain.
They should demolish that eye sore, money grab down

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Next step in the process will be the announcement of the site where a future Expos stadium is envisaged. Martin Leclerc of RadCan met up with Bronfman last week, in his run of one-on-one interviews with several members of the media. Bronfman said the stadium location would be announced soon. It's all part of the ownership group showing MLB that they are ready to get started.

Leclerc writes that in order to ensure the success of the project, ownership is looking to have spaces adjacent to the new stadium, to produce related development. They're looking to see real neighborhoods spawn around the stadium, a kind of urban new life that proved to be a winning formula in cities such as San Francisco and St-Louis.

Bronfman also mentioned how the best stadiums such as those in Boston and Chicago, are part and parcel of the central fabric of the neighborhoods they are situated in. He added that there is no such space in Montreal's downtown core, however there is some around it. What ownership doesn't want is an environment where there is nothing but a stadium. They want a stadium that is part of a neighborhood that fans will enjoy visiting. "A little like it is for the Bell Center", is how Bronfman put it.

All of this sounds like there would be a heightened fan experience based on a well-thought out, comprehensive project. Let's see what they come up with. I'm anticipating a plan for easy access and egress to the site, a 35K stadium, maybe a partially retractable roof or maybe heated seats or a heat source option for early season and late season games and plenty of entertainment options about the stadium -- this could be an awesome summer experience to be a part of. Oh, and bring back Dave Van Horne.

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
Not enough interest for NBA in Montreal. Also heard Bell Center could not be used as a good basket arena as court view is obstructed from a a lot of seats.
I’m not sure I agree. I’d like to see a survey on that.

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Have you ever been? There's not one bad seat in the house. It's no different than Air Canada Centre or any other NHL rink where BB is played. But yeah, the novelty would wear off rather quickly.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
I’m not sure I agree. I’d like to see a survey on that.

Yeah would be good to see one. When Raptors were playing earlier this year and we had a group seeking investors for a potential franchise all they presented was how Montreal as a city has potential. Nothing about fan interest.

Don't see much coverage of NBA in Montreal media hence why I don't see interest being very high. Think this season is the first time there are regular season games on French sport channels in a few years.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Have you ever been? There's not one bad seat in the house. It's no different than Air Canada Centre or any other NHL rink where BB is played. But yeah, the novelty would wear off rather quickly.

No, only heard about issues. If every seat has decent view that is good. Although NBA frowns on teams simply being tenants. Unless Molson decides to be an investor this would be a hard sell especially since there are a few other markets seeking franchises.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Tyson shared great experiences about his days living near Chicago and his time at Wrigley:

I remember living near Chicago 1970-72 and watching that Cub’s team with Jenkins, Williams, Santo, Banks (briefly), Pepitone! A lot of fun

Vin Scully, Curt Gowdy, Joe Garagiola all great ones

Ken Singleton had one of the greatest seasons of any Expo in 1973? I think!

Was wondering if he could share what it is he liked about Wrigley and how the Expos could integrate some of those positives in their future stadium project.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Tyson shared great experiences about his days living near Chicago and his time at Wrigley:

Was wondering if he could share what it is he liked about Wrigley and how the Expos could integrate some of those positives in their future stadium project.
That was close to 50 years ago so my memories in that regard are pretty limited. I enjoyed Parc Jarry and Wrigley but from a 10 year old’s perspective :)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That was close to 50 years ago so my memories in that regard are pretty limited. I enjoyed Parc Jarry and Wrigley but from a 10 year old’s perspective :)

Ha, but Wrigley is timeless. Outside of adding lighting for night baseball, how much as it really changed?

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
When the Expos return... We'll lose Youpi..:(

Unless they come up with a baby Youpi to start fresh with the new Expos..:eek:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
When the Expos return... We'll lose Youpi..:(

Unless they come up with a baby Youpi to start fresh with the new Expos..:eek:

We'll adopt a member of Gritty's family, with the Expos uni going all black. :naughty:

Reactions: HabsDood

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

NBA ticket sales in competition with the Habs under the same time period. I do think a city like Montreal should be able to support multiple sports teams but it's anybodies guess how it turns out. Personally, I rather see the Expos back and playing games downtown first. Then a NBA team after that.

Why not all 3? I never do like the "we can't mentality". I don't live in Montreal so someone would have to provide valid reasons why a city like Montreal can't support sports

Jul 6, 2016
I think MLB will "use" Montreal as a tool to push TB to make efforts to stay where they are now. Like NHL is using Quebec City.....

I won't believe in a MLB team come back in Montreal until the papers are signed and sealed.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
I think MLB will "use" Montreal as a tool to push TB to make efforts to stay where they are now. Like NHL is using Quebec City.....

I won't believe in a MLB team come back in Montreal until the papers are signed and sealed.

The difference is Montreal won't build a stadium without a guarantee of a team. Quebec built an arena using public money with no guarantees and are now stuck with it. Also the NHL can't move teams, it's the individual owners that have to decide to move their own team and get NHL approval. I always laugh at people saying move the Panthers, Coyotes, Hurricanes etc. If those owners don't want to move, then they won't move. The only team I can potentially see move is Arizona and even then it will probably be to Houston to keep the 16-16 balance.

Also another difference (and a big one) is that the commissioner of baseball has stated many times he would love to be back to Montreal, loves the progress made and shows a willingness to expand to 32 teams in the very near future. Bettman never once said he would love Quebec to get a team back.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

Jul 6, 2016
The difference is Montreal won't build a stadium without a guarantee of a team. Quebec built an arena using public money with no guarantees and are now stuck with it. Also the NHL can't move teams, it's the individual owners that have to decide to move their own team and get NHL approval. I always laugh at people saying move the Panthers, Coyotes, Hurricanes etc. If those owners don't want to move, then they won't move. The only team I can potentially see move is Arizona and even then it will probably be to Houston to keep the 16-16 balance.

Quebec City needed a new arena anyway. Could had been smaller (about 12,000=14,000 seats) and cheaper to suits the Remparts' needs or to use it as a concert-shows hall

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Quebec City needed a new arena anyway. Could had been smaller (about 12,000=14,000 seats) and cheaper to suits the Remparts' needs or to use it as a concert-shows hall

Yes and like you stated they didn't need a 18,000 seat arena but now that they have it they have to hope the Senators move there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad