OT: All-Purpose Expos Return Speculation Topic

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jul 6, 2016
Yes and like you stated they didn't need a 18,000 seat arena but now that they have it they have to hope the Senators move there.

Senators will stay in Ottawa. The CFL team owner Hunt (+ partners) could be interested buying the club from Melnyck. New developers could take the LeBreton Flats (close to downtown core) project in their hands.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
The Bronfman group has stated that its next step will be to announce the location of the stadium and all signs point to Peel Basin as the location. Peel Basin is in the heart of the burgeoning Griffintown neighborhood, right next to the downtown core and about a 15-minute walk from the Bell Centre. The upcoming REM light rail system has a stop on Peel Basin making the location easily accessible by public transit. The stadium seems like it will be a more intimate stadium of about 32,000 to 38,000 seats. There is a lot of talk of Bell being a sponsor of the stadium by paying upfront for the naming rights which would cover part of the cost. The Bronfman group will cover a large portion of the cost as well but will get help from the provincial and federal government.

That's what we know so far.

Reactions: gee and BLONG7

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Senators will stay in Ottawa. The CFL team owner Hunt (+ partners) could be interested buying the club from Melnyck. New developers could take the LeBreton Flats (close to downtown core) project in their hands.

Oh I don't want the Senators to move, I am just stating it would be the only way Quebec gets a team.

Jul 6, 2016
The Bronfman group has stated that its next step will be to announce the location of the stadium and all signs point to Peel Basin as the location. Peel Basin is in the heart of the burgeoning Griffintown neighborhood, right next to the downtown core and about a 15-minute walk from the Bell Centre. The upcoming REM light rail system has a stop on Peel Basin making the location easily accessible by public transit. The stadium seems like it will be a more intimate stadium of about 32,000 to 38,000 seats. There is a lot of talk of Bell being a sponsor of the stadium by paying upfront for the naming rights which would cover part of the cost. The Bronfman group will cover a large portion of the cost as well but will get help from the provincial and federal government.

Is that location you are talking about still available ? I am not so sure. Could a stadium on the old Blue Bonnet race track site be an option ?

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Is that location you are talking about still available ? I am not so sure. Could a stadium on the old Blue Bonnet race track site be an option ?

That's not happening, I don't think. All it has is public transportation. Traffic is horrible and it's nowhere near downtown. Horrible destination comparable to the Big Owe.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Another difference is the market gain.

NHL gain very little from adding a team in Québec. But MLB win a lot, marketing wise, with the TV contracts and a new demographics, to add a team in Montréal.
really awful flawed logic.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Bronfman mentioned that there were several locations that had not been publicly discussed before, that were part of the ultimate decision.

I'd much rather wait and see as it may not at all be something that anyone anticipated.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Well maybe, but it's the way the NHL choose to run their buisiness so we'll have to deal with it...
Let's stop the best rivalry in hockey just because some fans in Carolina (who clearly does not care) might start at some point following hockey.

GSP2018

Nov 20, 2018
Let's stop the best rivalry in hockey just because some fans in Carolina (who clearly does not care) might start at some point following hockey.

Lmao best rivalry in hockey. Quebec is a nothing. Best rivalry is Montreal Boston. Quebec ? :help:

Reactions: gee

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
But there's a orange milkshake shop open nearby.

A landmark.

Who knows what site they'll be pushing -- that's all part of the mystique. Next few weeks could be interesting.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Born in 1966. Couldn’t give a flying **** about Quebec. Hope they never get one again.
Sad for you.

I remember having so many banter growing up with my family growing up. I truly miss this time. The bruins are nothing to me personally.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I always laugh at people saying move the Panthers, Coyotes, Hurricanes etc. If those owners don't want to move, then they won't move.

You are right but the reason people are talking about those teams is because everyone knows the owners are losing money. Of course those owners have other businesses and investments and they are usually rock solid financially but still, when one of your business is constantly losing 5, 10 or 20 million dollars per year and you know your market is ''poor'' like hockey in Arizona, Carolina or Florida, then why the heck wouldn't you consider selling?

Down the line one of these owners will be fed up with losing millions of dollars and that is when Quebec City will come knocking. Of course the NHL still has to approve.

Dundon wanted an NHL team to toy with, he might get bored after 5 years. Without Dundon, honestly, I'm unsure who the hell would have kept the Canes in Carolina. It could have been Quebecor buying and moving the team. I know Bettman didn't want them to move, but if the only buyer is Quebecor, then you don't have a choice.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

He said it's one of the locations, but he has a couple more. Let's pray it's not that one 'cause it's horrible and such a random place.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm all in on this. Whatever it takes.

I know that's not the popular opinion and you'll tell me to pay for it myself and don't force it on anyone else.

But I miss the Expos.

You don't need to excuse yourself for missing them. Those of us who knew how lucky we were to have a major league ball team in the city, never forget.

Let's go, Expos. Go back home to the city where you belong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad