OT: All-Purpose Expos Return Speculation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
There weren't enough real fans to keep the team alive then, I'd wager there's significantly less support now. In lots of places in montreal, it's tough to find an actual baseball diamond.

Jul 6, 2016
Devil Rays cannot stay in the Tampa area anymore. No stadium. Bad crowds.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I don't think fan support is gonna be a problem, at least early on. They'll have to put the right people in place though and get the team playing at least decent ball fairly quickly. Actual attendance is only one small part of the business now anyway, corporate support is the real key. By the sounds of it the latter seems to be pretty much in place already. As long as they have a good tv deal going they'll be mostly fine.

Jul 6, 2016
I don't think fan support is gonna be a problem, at least early on. They'll have to put the right people in place though and get the team playing at least decent ball fairly quickly. Actual attendance is only one small part of the business now anyway, corporate support is the real key. By the sounds of it the latter seems to be pretty much in place already.

Agree. The first two-three years, they gonna have good crowds at the Big O. The new downtown stadium will also keep attracting lots of people for few seasons after.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Just curious here, if MLB puts the Rays in Montreal, would there be a dispersal type of draft similar to what the NHL did for Vegas? Can't remember what happened when the Spos moved to Washington?

Jul 6, 2016
Just curious here, if MLB puts the Rays in Montreal, would there be a dispersal type of draft similar to what the NHL did for Vegas? Can't remember what happened when the Spos moved to Washington?

No. It's not an expansion draft. It,s a relocation. The new Montreal Expos would be made of all the ex-Rays players + all Minor leagues players in their system as well.

And hopefully, the new Expos stay in the same division than Toronto, NYY and Boston.

Reactions: BLONG7

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
lol okay there. You just saw a massive survey saying otherwise.

I used to work in market research, not all is always as it seems. I saw a report that claims people will hold on to their promise to financially support a new mlb team assuming lots of factors resolve themselves in an ideal fashion. There's really not that much new in this report. Montreal has a large _potential_ tv audience, big news. I guess the most important thing, as others have said, is the corporate support, but that will disappear as soon as viewers do, and viewers here will not support a loser baseball team. They will hardly support a loser hockey team for too long, we're not Toronto, and thank christ for that.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
1 year at the Big Owe would absolutely work. I know the surrounding is not like a downtown, but it's fine enough. There's a big population there, and a big part is older which is the best demographic for baseball right now. The interior of the Olympic Stadium is awful and smell of bad 80s, but from the outside it's a good look.

There's two metro stations nearby, and Pie IX new SRB (bus quick lane) will help people from the north and the south get there very quickly.

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
There weren't enough real fans to keep the team alive then, I'd wager there's significantly less support now. In lots of places in montreal, it's tough to find an actual baseball diamond.
Molson Stadium on Notre-Dame street, it's time.. Yeah I made this up, stars are lining up..

Perfect spot, near Jacques-Cartier bridge, downtown, La Ronde and Ile Notre Dame in sight..

WOW

Do this :eek: fireworks smiley :ghost2:

btw, this post and all that is involved is copyrighted, I want a lodge and parking and we have to talk about things

Last edited:

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
I used to do it.. It's goodbad

I remeber going to Jarry park too.. Got a bat once :)
I didn't have cable then. Did they ever have all 162 games televised anyway? I listened to most games on the radio until the end. Even the Rocky Biddle ones.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Stephen Bronfman is going to be on with Mitch Melnick in a few minutes. Bronfman met with Quebec's PM today.

Not expecting earth-shattering news but should be positive.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This could happen a lot sooner than expected.

"Things are going well. Things are falling into place."

-Stephen Bronfman

About what I thought he'd say. And it's not so much about what he says but it's everything else all pointing to it.

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
I didn't have cable then. Did they ever have all 162 games televised anyway? I listened to most games on the radio until the end. Even the Rocky Biddle ones.
Then was between 68 and 76, no cable, really lol

I was born in 68

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
No. It's not an expansion draft. It,s a relocation. The new Montreal Expos would be made of all the ex-Rays players + all Minor leagues players in their system as well.

And hopefully, the new Expos stay in the same division than Toronto, NYY and Boston.
Frig I hope not!!! I'd like to see playoff baseball at some point and being in NYY and Boston AL East leaves little chance of that.

Reactions: Laurentide

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'd prefer the Expos in the NL East but, I'd be so happy just to have a team back that I wouldn't mind the AL Beast.

A relocation over an expansion team. We've gone the expansion route in 69 and I don't feel like living through that again.

Reactions: Laurentide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad