Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose "Days of Our Meruelo" Talk

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I can't remember who won the cup 5 years ago or what state they represent. I'm sure they have that hometown pride and feel like winners, but I don't care. Only know it wasn't my team. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: TheLegend

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Man it's bad enough he tried this in Phoenix with an actual NHL team, trying to grift a smaller city is even more slimy.

Reno will go for it too.

Meruelo has more political "in" with the city and state of Nevada than he did in Arizona.

Could be wrong on this but from what I read the ask here is for the deferrent of sales taxes.... they're still going to be paying the property taxes. Nevada has a totally difference tax structure. There's no personal income tax there because of it. CoR would be gambling on the traffic the arena brings will make up for it via other means.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Strictly my opinion here.....

It started with Glendale when he came in all hard core at the city manager over negotiating a multi-year lease. Glendale terminating the original lease five years earlier didn't help and he was probably aware of that. Also knew the league's view of the city after that happened and figured that was a leverage point for him.

Couple that with what he had done to date with the political class in California and Nevada for years he probably figured Arizona was just like them..... and they simply aren't.

As much as Arizona cities take political jabs at each other, they will always circle the wagons with each other when it comes to someone coming from the outside looking to fight.
Vintage asshatery!

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Like Glendale terminating the lease with IceArizona after fooling their outgoing city attorney into believing he could immediately go to work for them, thus violating state laws??

Not exactly limited to Glendale either....my previous post above hinting Meruelo could have not been the reason TED failed was somewhat true.

Tempe claims they were completely innocent, but from technical point they weren't.

The fallout of this, had TED passed, could have (and probably WOULD have) been even a bigger shitshow.
Gubmimt mint isn’t business, gubmint are takers, that produce nil.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad