Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose "Days of Our Meruelo" Talk

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't know their lease situation, but they were talking about a new ED somewhere at one point IIRC. All this is a moot point.

Looks like a 15 year lease extension to 2037 with an option to extend another 5 years to 2042.

So, 13 years from now their lease is up.

It makes more sense NBA/NHL can go in together on an arena. But, given that the Suns control the the revenues of Footprint, the NHL team needs to have the same owner as the nba team. No reason for the Suns to reduce their take of arena revenues from virtually all of it down to 50/50 with an NHL team that has a different owner. That's why Sarver didn't want a new arena to share with the Coyotes. From a pure businss POV better to get all of the revenues from a renovated Footprint than 50/50 on a brand new arena.

Sundevil96

Oct 11, 2018
First time poster here. Having a family member who works for the Coyotes organization and not a word from upper management since this story broke is pathetic at the very least. They have a whole staff of employees with families that have no idea when/ if there last day is coming. Panic within the office is at an excruciating high.
So to give a bit of an update. I don't want to say too much but employees are being told that no one will lose their job. This does not mean the sale isn't going through though.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
So to give a bit of an update. I don't want to say too much but employees are being told that no one will lose their job. This does not mean the sale isn't going through though.
aahh yes I've seen this before. Oh you're not losing your jobs, sure you need to sell your house and buy a new one in salt lake within the next couple of months but hey if you do that, you can still totally have your job for now!

Reactions: Prarievarg

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I want to throw a rage party with the Forum 40 gang to say our goodbyes. We deserve it. We stuck through all of this shit
giphy.gif

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Sundevil96

Oct 11, 2018
aahh yes I've seen this before. Oh you're not losing your jobs, sure you need to sell your house and buy a new one in salt lake within the next couple of months but hey if you do that, you can still totally have your job for now!
Not what they are being told. The land auction will still be very important for the future of the NHL in AZ. Again, take it for what it's worth. I don't completely trust what they are being told either.

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
It's no secret that the Suns would like a new state of the art barn. If the NHL team is part of the bargain, it's a big bargaining chip. And Footprint is a much better short term solution than Mullett... :laugh:
The idea of a new arena came up not too long ago… same place that Greg Stanton proposed be built when he was mayor of Phoenix.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
Not what they are being told. The land auction will still be very important for the future of the NHL in AZ. Again, take it for what it's worth. I don't completely trust what they are being told either.
Thanks for the updates

Could Smith buy the yotes and keep them in Arizona temporarily until there's clarity on the arena

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad