Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose "Days of Our Meruelo" Talk

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
Wasn't there something about Meruelo refusing to pay for a pizza during the bubble playoffs?

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I remember reading that one of the first interactions AM had with the City of Glendale officials was him playing tough guy too. Can't find it.

I recall it being that some of the first words out of AM's mouth were telling Glendale he wasn't going to pay any more than the last guy and was moving the team as soon as he could. Another strongarm move.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Los Angeles, CA & Surprise, AZ
At the time, nobody had any evidence of his method of doing business, except for refusing outright to pay some outstanding bills from the previous ownership. Naturally, in the years since, we've gotten a whole shitload of receipts piling up that Glendale never had access to.
I can't say I managed to read every article about the Glendale situation, but I did read somewhere fairly recently, quoting a Glendale Councilmen that they wanted to keep the Coyotes and he made no mention of any trust issues. I feel like a lot of the Glendale "stuff' was amplified by those ladies that stood up against the Tempe vote and much of that was disproven and attached to the previous Coyote management. I watched the hearing and I felt much of what those ladies claimed was nonsense. I guess we can believe what we want to believe.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I look like that guy if that guy went to prison
He’s the highway miles version. You’re the city miles version. Lol.

Sounds like a typical company christmas party in Sweden

*RING*
*RING*
Mrs rt: “Hey, what’s up?”
Me: “Honey! Great news! We’re moving to Sweden!”

JasonDemersWasOkay

Awaiting the return of my beloved team
Nov 14, 2018
After everything we’ve been through and have had to endure, having to sit here and watch it slowly crumble is a feeling I can’t even put into words. I would have rather it just been quick and sudden on April 18th rather than this shit. All these reports, the team not being informed, ownership’s f***ing embarrassing handling of all of it. Have we not f***ing suffered enough? You’re taking the fanbase that has suffered more than any other fan base in the league and just pouring more and more on. Just let us f***ing die already. I can’t contain the abject rage I have for everyone involved in this. f*** Meruelo, f*** Ryan smith, f*** Marty Walsh, f*** the nhl, f*** every single f***er fan of every other f***ing team that has ever said shit about us. I genuinely and truly wish nothing but sadness and suffering for all of you

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I can't say I managed to read every article about the Glendale situation, but I did read somewhere fairly recently, quoting a Glendale Councilmen that they wanted to keep the Coyotes and he made no mention of any trust issues. I feel like a lot of the Glendale "stuff' was amplified by those ladies that stood up against the Tempe vote and much of that was disproven and attached to the previous Coyote management. I watched the hearing and I felt much of what those ladies claimed was nonsense. I guess we can believe what we want to believe.

This was originally reported by the Arizona Republic. The relationship between Glendale and AM never appeared to be anything other than hostile. Sounds like Meruelo made sure of that.

What happened to damage relationship between Arizona Coyotes and city of Glendale? - Rose Law Group Reporter

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
After everything we’ve been through and have had to endure, having to sit here and watch it slowly crumble is a feeling I can’t even put into words. I would have rather it just been quick and sudden on April 18th rather than this shit. All these reports, the team not being informed, ownership’s f***ing embarrassing handling of all of it. Have we not f***ing suffered enough? You’re taking the fanbase that has suffered more than any other fan base in the league and just pouring more and more on. Just let us f***ing die already. I can’t contain the abject rage I have for everyone involved in this. f*** Meruelo, f*** Ryan smith, f*** Marty Walsh, f*** the nhl, f*** every single f***er fan of every other f***ing team that has ever said shit about us. I genuinely and truly wish nothing but sadness and suffering for all of you
I think you should unplug and retreat to the wilderness for a couple weeks.

Maybe we all should.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
They kicked him out because he wouldn't sign a 10-15 year lease. They did want the Coyotes to stay but it had to be long term. Merullo couldn't agree to that if he was going to build his own arena.

Funny how he it's reported that he told Glendale he wouldn't give them another penny to stay in Glendale a little longer, yet he jumped at giving ASU =/- $20M to play in their college arena temporarily.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
This was originally reported by the Arizona Republic. The relationship between Glendale and AM never appeared to be anything other than hostile. Sounds like Meruelo made sure of that.

What happened to damage relationship between Arizona Coyotes and city of Glendale? - Rose Law Group Reporter
Ok, your article quoted a Glendale official? What do you expect them to say? I'm sure if we heard from AM or the Coyotes they would claim the opposite. I still point out the fact, if AM was so difficult to deal with, why would Glendale still want to partner with him? That defies logic?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Glendale kicked Meruelo out because he wouldn’t sign a long term lease. But why is the nhl kicking him out? I suspect their reasons are pretty solid.
fears he can't pull it off and this helps increase the value of franchises to a billion a pop and gets an owner they want into the league while setting price for expansion at roughly $1.3 B or almost double what they were 5 years ago.

Reactions: Prarievarg

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Ok, your article quoted a Glendale official? What do you expect them to say? I'm sure if we heard from AM or the Coyotes they would claim the opposite.

Hey, if you follow the trail and see every crappy thing that AM has been accused of doing (or not doing) from multiple sources over the last 5 years and not just a Glendale official, and still decide that they're all wrong and AM is a good guy... go ahead.

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
They kicked him out because he wouldn't sign a 10-15 year lease. They did want the Coyotes to stay but it had to be long term. Merullo couldn't agree to that if he was going to build his own arena.
I really think it's Mullett for 3 more years and Smith made a really strong push, to quote a famous movie "he made them an offer they couldn't refuse". The NHL will be making money of this transfer as well. You remove Smith and SLC out of the equation and we're not having this discussion.

Reactions: Prarievarg

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Ok, your article quoted a Glendale official? What do you expect them to say? I'm sure if we heard from AM or the Coyotes they would claim the opposite. I still point out the fact, if AM was so difficult to deal with, why would Glendale still want to partner with him? That defies logic?

I don't think the city of Glendale had any say in who bought the team, so they had to try and work with whomever the NHL sold the team to. And they would've signed an extension out of desperation, kicking the can farther on down the road.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Do I need to remind you he's a billionaire? I think he knows what he's doing.

Lol. The NHL is full of billionaire board members and ownership groups and they don't seem to like our's much. They've lost faith in him.

Besides, being a billionaire doesn't guarantee success in everything you do. Most billionaires have lots of failures to go with their successes.

Edit: And if he knows what he's doing, he might not be doing it with our best interest in mind.

Reactions: Nowotny

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
I don't think the city of Glendale had any say in who bought the team, so they had to try and work with whomever the NHL sold the team to. And they would've signed an extension out of desperation, kicking the can farther on down the road.
No they knew who they were dealing with. And if they were willing to "kick the can farther down the road", that show a lack of basic governmental understanding (although to support that point, politicians do that all the time).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad