Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose "Days of Our Meruelo" Talk

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
I ask, does anyone have an idea when Meruelo would have to show he has lined up not only the min $68.5 mill but also the many hundreds of miilion that would be needed for the site servicing and development?

RABBIT

AKA Turd Ferguson
If this really does go south, I'll likely be out. I'll also be more inclined to follow the roster and front office to SLC than support an expansion team here in AZ, if I'm not out completely.
I think I’ll loosely follow the Utah team as long as the branding doesn’t suck (Utah Jazz is awful) just to see how my favorite players turn out then follow the team with a clean slate when they come back. I’m not ready to give up the NHL

BeauportHarfangs

May 14, 2013
Northern Virginia
I had a great experience at a Coyotes game in late 2001, just before I deployed overseas after 9/11. Sad to see Phoenix area losing team. i heard a few weeks back that certain staff members were told to start looking for houses/apartments in Salt Lake City.

Reactions: Primary Assist

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Fans get screwed in the short term
If the only metric is technically having a team, yes, but when it comes to on ice product, I'd argue the fans are getting screwed in the short and long term. We'd almost certainly be looking at a good 15 years, 5 to get the expansion and 10 to then build a cup contender, before there's an actual good hockey team in place. Considering how much shit hockey AZ fans have watched over the past decade that's 25 f***ing years of of no hockey/shit hockey. Meanwhile, Utah will be handed a team on the cusp of entering their prime. This would be a giant f*** you Phoenix fans!

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
AM selling and then using that money to get the deal done while being given a free/discount franchise is a real interesting way to solve a bunch of problems for all parties (including the other salty owners). Fans get screwed in the short term, but every other stakeholder comes out with a pretty decisive win.
Mostly true. But there’s the SLC arena situation. The one they have is dumpy old bball barn that holds 11k for hockey. Did I miss an announcement of concrete plans to build something new?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Mostly true. But there’s the SLC arena situation. The one they have is dumpy old bball barn that holds 11k for hockey. Did I miss an announcement of concrete plans to build something new?
i believe they are holding the Olympics there in the next decade and getting a new arena is a certainty.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I ask, does anyone have an idea when Meruelo would have to show he has lined up not only the min $68.5 mill but also the many hundreds of miilion that would be needed for the site servicing and development?
I dont have an answer. But I will mention that the Tempe city council did a deep dive in this respect and was fully satisfied.

i believe they are holding the Olympics there in the next decade and getting a new arena is a certainty.
Yes. 10yrs from now. 11k for 7yrs is worse than 4K for 3yrs and then 17k thereafter. Especially if you’re trading in a market like PHX for a market like SLC.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I dont have an answer. But I will mention that the Tempe city council did a deep dive in this respect and was fully satisfied.

Yes. 10yrs from now. 11k for 7yrs is worse than 4K for 3yrs and then 17k thereafter. Especially if you’re trading in a market like PHX for a market like SLC.
i know. The PA complaining about the Mullet reminds me of that scene from the mockumentry Spinaltap. "but this one goes 11".

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
I became a fan of the Yotes due to one guy, Bill Armstrong and to a lesser extent, his staff. If Arizona moves, then I hope he and coach Andre are still a part of the solution. If not, I am done as a fan and will have to find a new team to cheer for.

Reactions: Grimes

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ

Getting an NHL team immediately can push that timeline way up pretty easily. But it doesn't matter because the Coyotes playing anywhere but Mullett next season is not even a remote possibility, right? Isn't there only a 100% chance they play at Mullett and a 0% chance Smith invests a billion in a half-cooked botch job of scrambling to launch a franchise?

Ad

Ad

Ad