Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose "Days of Our Meruelo" Talk

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
There are two probabilities:

1) The team and Morgan saw this story dropping and went into a trench to ride the next couple of days out until the hysteria subsides, or

2) ...the team let Morgan know that it was a done deal and all that was left was the detail work, and Morgan didn't want to face the immediate blowback from having shat all over Seravalli et al. over the past couple of weeks.

Either way, it's a f***ing horrible look.

Morgan I think had a Q&A with Seravalli this morning.

He announced this on Twitter and is expected to release the story this afternoon. Since then he and Steve Peters have gone underground. PHNX discord is a rage chamber right now and nobody is really listening to any reason.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Even if there is relocation confirmed before the land auction, I'm assuming they continue to focus on winning the land auction, and then immediately (as soon as a stadium is built on that land) bring in an expansion team back.

It would absolutely suck to lose these young guys (there should be some mandate that Josh Doan at the very least has to return to Arizona if this happens). I would have preferred they just go play in SLC for a few years and then return when the arena is ready, but that's messy too.

I think they have to start the process over with the city in that case. The project is being approved with an arena, with a tenant. Phoenix might not want to be a part of that (how do you spell cockamaymee?) plan. Either way, it's not a simple solution to anything. It would be a complication., IMO.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
If there are concerns over more time at Mullett (this wasn't an issue with the Tempe project so wtf) then just make good with Glendale for the next 3 years, buy a new ice machine, whatever.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Here was the original article as captured by search engines, it's too bad they didn't run with the original title but I'm sure we all know why they didn't, gotta harvest them clicks! Not surprisingly the 2 scenarios are what we've known all along. Win auction or relocate. Now there are some speculation about the league not liking the 2027 timeline but that makes absolutely no sense as it's the same timeline as TED which they were supportive of.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-10 131752.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-10 131752.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Coyotedroppings

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think they have to start the process over with the city in that case. The project is being approved with an arena, with a tenant. Phoenix might not want to be a part of that (how do you spell cockamaymee?) plan.

If there's a legal agreement from the NHL for a guaranteed expansion franchise under the condition there's a stadium, I don't think the city of Phoenix would shy away from it.

Isn't Atlanta going ahead with plans to build a stadium without any kind of guarantee that they'll get a team?

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Same boat we've been in for a week or so right? Finality either way? It could just be sooner? I'm still just glad it'll be over one way or the other.

Reactions: moosemeister

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
I assume most of you know but I haven't stayed completely up to date. I know and auction bidder needs to have a substantial deposit, has to show the wherewithal to be able to close the winning auction bid and has the have a defined development plan for the property. Will that plan also have to clearly show where the funds for the full development will come from and show that it is in place?

Reactions: DustyDangler

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Same boat we've been in for a week or so right? Finality either way? It could just be sooner? I'm still just glad it'll be over one way or the other.
So far there's no good reasoning for why it would be sooner, just the same 'ol blowhards farming for clicks. If there is new information out there, no one is actually providing it. I guess you could take the where there's smoke there's fire approach but that's a lot more complicated these days thanks to social media which is essentially a 24/7 smoke generating machine!

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
can someone in Arizona explain to me why that mayor is so pissed

Because the project would sit right on his city limits. Potentially take business, event and tax revenues from his city. Didn't want Scottsdale resources (water, etc) being used.

He "clarified" his original statement the next day and tried to look like he's somewhat supportive now.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
Moving to SLC and then bringing back a new team a few years later when a new arena is ready is going to piss off a lot of the local fanbase. The NHL needs to realize that, particularly given that it has gotten to this point with the auction just ahead of us.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
Moving to SLC and then bringing back a new team a few years later when a new arena is ready is going to piss off a lot of the local fanbase. The NHL needs to realize that, particularly given that it has gotten to this point with the auction just ahead of us.
edit: especially if new team is owned by Meruelo

just let us get to the auction

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Isn't Atlanta going ahead with plans to build a stadium without any kind of guarantee that they'll get a team?

That's not the point. The point is that everything Phoenix has done has been done with the Coyotes in consideration. This is the government at work here. They won't just continue on easy peasy with such drastic changes to the purchasing group, their assets, and their plans for the property. I'm thinking there would be lots of red tape. Don't think the city wants to assume any more risk on this deal.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
You know if with all of this .. we will win the lottery

Then the question is will Celebrini pull a Lindros
Don't worry...out of all the scenarios...this is the least likely to occur. 0.00% chance.

We'd get bought out by a dirt famer in Kansas who moves the team to Kansas City in 2 days. That scenario is a better bet than for us to win the lottery. :)

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
What’s new is the assertion from Seravalli and Friedman that this may happen in April. That’s what people are worked up about. Friedman said on the Marek podcast there’s a good chance this happens this month.
Yes but their whole reasoning, if you want to call it that, is because they think the NHL is not happy with the 2027 start date. That makes no f***ing sense because that's the same timeline as TED which they were very supportive of. Perhaps new information will come to light but thus far the premise that's been floated is very weak.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
That's not the point. The point is that everything Phoenix has done has been done with the Coyotes in consideration. This is the government at work here. They won't just continue on easy peasy with such drastic changes to the purchasing group, their assets, and their plans for the property. I'm thinking there would be lots of red tape. Don't think the city wants to assume any more risk on this deal.

Replace "Coyotes" with "guaranteed expansion team" and that's the only thing that changes

Maybe you're right, I just don't see the big deal for Phoenix if it's the Coyotes or the new team, as long as there's going to be an NHL team using that space when construction is done.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Replace "Coyotes" with "guaranteed expansion team" and that's the only thing that changes

Hey, maybe you're right. But I don't think it works that way with a contract covering hundreds of millions of dollars. Sounds too much like using white out. That and guarantees don't always come to reality. I don't think they'd want to risk it.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Yes but their whole reasoning, if you want to call it that, is because they think the NHL is not happy with the 2027 start date. That makes no f***ing sense because that's the same timeline as TED which they were very supportive of. Perhaps new information will come to light but thus far the premise that's been floated is very weak.
Yes I think the April date is Frank S and Friedman speculations because that’s the Yotes last date..

Frank also saying puck drop in AZ would be 27 and 28 season just to throw some exaggeration into it. Chassis the puck drop is the same date as the TED because they don’t have to remediate

Er XG said … not chassis .. bad spell correct

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Hey, maybe you're right. But I don't think it works that way with a contract covering $M's in committments. And guarantees don't always come to reality. I don't think they'd want to risk it.

I would obviously prefer they wait until after the auction and only sell if they lose, I'm still hoping that's the plan and Friedman is just blowing smoke out of his ass for clicks.

Reactions: Arizonatah Coyetis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad