Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose "Days of Our Meruelo" Talk

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Perhaps the naming poll is just a good way to asses interest for an expansion franchise.
Scottsdale mayor already walking back some of his bullshit today in a “clarification”

He's not wrong, he's just (apparently) not smart enough to have said that yesterday. also, there should be access at Scottsdale Rd. as well, this isn't rocket science!

JasonDemersWasOkay

Awaiting the return of my beloved team
Nov 14, 2018
Love that his clarification comes 24 hours after all the damage he set in motion is already done.

Now, just like with the whole “coyotes got kicked out of Glendale for not paying bills bullshit” we’ll endlessly hear “the mayor doesn’t want them there” even though THATS NOT THE f***ING CASE IF PEOPLE WOULD DO JUST THE MOST BASIC f***ING RESEARCH

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
@hbk: Didn't the NHL say the escrow account was basically on track to be filled soon? Part of the reason the salary cap could go up?

I do think the SLC owner, Marty Walsh, Servalli and Gambo are somehow linked. The timing of the reporting seems incredibly suspect. Right before the auction date announcement and then the continued release of crap.

The NHL is not going to make some hush-hush deal to promise AM an expansion franchise. Who knows what the economics of it all looks like in 4-5 years? It would create risk just as much as it would alleviate some for the NHL. Additionally, the results of having an owner sell his team for relocation purposes and then awarding an expansion team later is a bad look. Forcing any owner to sell their team is a bad look. Especially when the team might finally be putting the arena issues to bed.
it's a protest over the concept of escrow period. They don't want any holdback at all when owners are cashing billion dollar expansion checks.

Please, show me a study that the NHLPA has put together on lost revenue because of the team playing at Mullet instead of GRA, and the impact it has on HRR, and the correlation to escrow % they are paying. Otherwise, it's just hot air and the players don't actually know, and are just complaining because it's the cool thing to do(if they even are complaining). Just because the head of the NHLPA says something, doesn't mean it's a majority of the players that feel that way. The only group I'd be really concerned with their opinion are the ones on the Coyotes that have to play there 41 times a year.
i'm in agreement but this is the path the PA has taken. They want to move this team to a higher revenue generating area so they can minimize and potentially negotiate an end to escrow as a whole in the next cba.

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Love that his clarification comes 24 hours after all the damage he set in motion is already done.

Now, just like with the whole “coyotes got kicked out of Glendale for not paying bills bullshit” we’ll endlessly hear “the mayor doesn’t want them there” even though THATS NOT THE f***ING CASE IF PEOPLE WOULD DO JUST THE MOST BASIC f***ING RESEARCH

He already knew that Phoenix was going to carry the water (literally) on this project. He admits it in his first statement.

He also knew the 64th St. corridor extension was also part of the auction package.

If I was to speculate, after that grandstand job yesterday his office started getting calls from a number of his constituents who reminded him that they vote and are also Coyotes fans. :nod:

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
it's a protest over the concept of escrow period. They don't want any holdback at all when owners are cashing billion dollar expansion checks.

i'm in agreement but this is the path the PA has taken. They want to move this team to a higher revenue generating area so they can minimize and potentially negotiate an end to escrow as a whole in the next cba.

Well then they are going to have to deal with it until the next CBA. If they want to be 50/50, they are going to have to pay into escrow, or just be paid in arrears. Instead of increasing a cap based on projections, make it be based off of last year. And when I say last year, I mean "last year HRR was $1 billion, so players get $500M, and owners get $500M". Simple as that. Players would never go for that though, so they are stuck in their ways.

Until then, the players, if they wanted to be financial experts, shouldn't have gone to the NHL, or show me an actual study that shows how much more they could be making if they went to a different market than being in AZ.

Reactions: Mosby

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
Scottsdale Mayor hahahaha what an idiot.

I was also listening to SiriusXM NHL radio today and Anthony Stewart predicted the Yotes leave AZ because “The mayor is blocking the arena now”

Just so uninformed is painful.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

I was also listening to SiriusXM NHL radio today and Anthony Stewart predicted the Yotes leave AZ because “The mayor is blocking the arena now”

The arena isn't even scottsdale so the mayor can't even block it even if he tried to. Those that are uninformed and making comment don't know that the land is in city of phx not city of scottsdale.

Reactions: Sm00chy

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Come on now, that takes too much effort. :laugh:

Jagged Ice

Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
I don't know about you guys but I'm exhausted from having to explain what's going on to people multiple times each day. Last night at the cigar lounge..."Hey James, I heard on the news the Coyotes are again moving to SLC because the Scottsdale Mayor blocked the development"
I just want to run when Coyotes news breaks.

LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!!!!!

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Like I said earlier. These assholes from Canada who are thousands of miles away don't have a clue what's going on. If I said it once, I have said it a thousand times. Why are you still listening to these assholes?

Reactions: moosemeister

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
a lot of people need to sit this one out, but they won't.

Let them run their mouths. They'll either FINALLY be right after 15 years, or be wrong yet again.

Enjoy the last few games, and hopefully June 28th, we'll be watching the draft together at AZ Ice. :)

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Gambodoro has had exactly two inside sources with the Coyotes - Shane Doan and Jeremy Roenick. The farther away those two guys got from the franchise, the bigger and smellier the shit that Gambo threw at the wall to see what stuck. He's a f***ing blowhard joke.

That said, I doubt seriously that he's answering to Bonneville in making these posts. He's just being a moron and hoping to get enough right that he can brand it a scoop. That's not to say that Bonneville isn't involved somehow in trying to grease the skids to get the Coyotes to Salt Lake, though. Remember what I said about who pulls the strings in Utah, and also remember that Bonneville is a wholly owned subsidiary of LDS, Inc.
And Tocchet.

Reactions: Mosby

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I don't know about you guys but I'm exhausted from having to explain what's going on to people multiple times each day. Last night at the cigar lounge..."Hey James, I heard on the news the Coyotes are again moving to SLC because the Scottsdale Mayor blocked the development"

LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!!!!!

🚨🚨🚨🚨PSA🚨🚨🚨🚨

Take this and post it somewhere...... read it everyday..... then realize what actually matters.

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

JasonDemersWasOkay

Awaiting the return of my beloved team
Nov 14, 2018
If you’re on Twitter, that Kat C is a great follow for this lead-up to June 27th. And if you’re not on twitter…I envy you.

Also goes without saying and doesn’t even warrant being pointed out, but when the mayor op-ed came out yesterday Seravalli pounced on it within an hour and spread it everywhere. Did he give the same attention to the clarification today?? ABSOLUTELY f***ING NOT. HACK.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018

LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!!!!!
Was the cigar any good though?
That can make all the difference.

The organisation right now:
8m9ebl.jpg

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
From an Ian Mendes article:

"Smith does not want his pursuit of an NHL team to come off as though he’s poaching the Coyotes from afar.

“People who know me know I’m pretty direct. If that were the intention, I would just come out and say that,” Smith says when asked if it appears he is targeting the Coyotes. “We’re not about trying to mess with anybody else’s world. I know what it’s like to be in a partnership like we are in the NBA. There is a way to go about it.”

Smith maintains an open line of dialogue with NHL officials, but he’s mindful not to step over any lines.

“I don’t want to get involved with how they deliver a team. We’re showing that we’re ready and that’s what we’re putting forward,” says Smith. “We talk to them frequently. They know our interest. They see what’s going on. They see the value, and they’re intrigued.”"

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I can't see how anyone could have possibly thought it made sense for the guy to just take another franchise at the draft with zero time to actually build up to it and introduce it to a new fanbase. You can do it in Canada, for obvious reasons, but any businessman worth a dime would know it would be crazy to do it that way in SLC. That rumor never held up to even a basic logic check.

Reactions: Schemp and Jakey53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad