Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose "Days of Our Meruelo" Talk

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Honestly, this is the ideal situation. The organization has a stigma attached to it. I've said before to blow the whole thing up. Gives 'em time to build the arena+district, gets rid of the team nobody cares about that came from somewhere else, gets rid of the NHLPA complaining about Mullett and escrow, you can market it as "Phoenix's team," with a new name, host the expansion draft to showcase the new barn, etc., etc.

It makes so much sense that it'll likely never happen. It's so dreamy to think about.

Here's the big problem with this scenario - the actual ORGANIZATION of this franchise is top-tier, and anything we get in an expansion scenario will be poor seconds at best.

And also, remember that it will make no difference to anyone outside our hardcore group between the old franchise and a new one, unless there's a complete and total rebrand with no sign of the Jets/Coyotes anywhere. If a theoretical expansion team here is named the Coyotes, it will automatically attach every single piece of baggage the current one has in everyone else's eyes.

Reactions: Jakey53

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Politics…. He already knew that it was coming from PHX.. he even had meetings wit AZ state and PHX mayor, who all agreed. He decided to write a letter after the fact , to get his name in the papers I guess

Reactions: Kaizen

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
I don't think he doesn't want the arena or is an enemy of the project.
What he is doing is what he should do for his city: Getting answers and saying what is possible and what not.
Nothing more, nothing less.
He just says that his city cannot give the water needed. That is only fair and valid.
And he asks about the influence on his local economy. Thats also valid.
But that does not mean that he is trying to stop this. We should not jump to that conclusion or antagonize the man for doing his job as mayor.

And in regards to water he is more than right. Its the desert and water is not that abundant. That also explains why he puts such focus on cutting down on water usage. Which to me is a good thing.

At the end the auction bid will include the answers to most of his questions and that should satisfy him. If it doesn't he will approach the group and ask more questions behind the scenes. He doesn't seem like the person who wants to do that in public, but more like a reasonable person. At least to me.

TLDR: Don't overthink this, the dude is just doing his work and asking questions regarding his town. And those will be answered by the bid.
I used to work with the City of Chandler water dept a lot. One of their engineers told me there is a “100 yr” aquifer that runs under South Mountain. Who knows?

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Here's the big problem with this scenario - the actual ORGANIZATION of this franchise is top-tier, and anything we get in an expansion scenario will be poor seconds at best.

And also, remember that it will make no difference to anyone outside our hardcore group between the old franchise and a new one, unless there's a complete and total rebrand with no sign of the Jets/Coyotes anywhere. If a theoretical expansion team here is named the Coyotes, it will automatically attach every single piece of baggage the current one has in everyone else's eyes.
From Armstrong down, I agree.

I wouldn't call an expansion team the Coyotes. I'd tell Smith to take the Roadrunners but leave the name. Go back to the old colors, but update the uniforms. Make bank on merch.

Like I said, I'm just dreaming and I don't think it'll happen. Getting a new arena isn't going to remove the cloud over this organization. You can put whipped cream on a turd; that don't make it a sundae.

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020

I wouldn't call an expansion team the Coyotes. I'd tell Smith to take the Roadrunners but leave the name. Go back to the old colors, but update the uniforms. Make bank on merch.

Like I said, I'm just dreaming and I don't think it'll happen. Getting a new arena isn't going to remove the cloud over this organization. You can put whipped cream on a turd; that don't make it a sundae.
but if you put a stanley cup over the turd, its a lot less smelly.

AZDesertKnight

Deactivated Coyotes Fan
Jan 13, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
If it actually comes down to

1) The Coyotes having an owner with money
2) Buying the land in the PERFECT location
3) The NHL forcing a sale at this point because the timeline is EXACTLY the same as TED without remediation....

I will buy a Time Machine and punch 2009 me in the face for even giving a damn.. This would be absolutely ridiculous.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
Getting a new arena isn't going to remove the cloud over this organization. You can put whipped cream on a turd; that don't make it a sundae.
I don't agree with this. A new arena and a few successful years on the ice will go a long way to remove the stink. Professional sports are full with examples of franchises that have turned things around, causing any bad PR to fade over time.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I don't agree with this. A new arena and a few successful years on the ice will go a long way to remove the stink. Professional sports are full with examples of franchises that have turned things around, causing any bad PR to fade over time.
As a Detroit Lions fans I cannot stress out true this is.

I moved here in '10. During my decade plus it's been nothing but ownership and arena drama. Solid ownership and a permanent barn will put a lot of shit to rest.

MayDayMayDay

F****** Pheasants!
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Whoever just f***in barbecued Gambo with a lesson in political economy of media here just earned themself a drink. :biglaugh:

And then he has the audacity to gaslight us and suggest the people signing his paychecks don't influence his agenda:

Wow. Just wow. That's some straight up narc shit right there. GTFOOH John.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
I used to work with the City of Chandler water dept a lot. One of their engineers told me there is a “100 yr” aquifer that runs under South Mountain. Who knows?
Water preservation is still important.
Efficiency is a must in that regards. I just think about the drought that spain and the south of france are suffering from and i really appreciate that our family tries to be as efficient with water as possible. And we life in a place without a drought.

And yeah the mayor might pull a stunt to secure his reelection but if we leave out the Bs then there are a few points that are valid.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
If it actually comes down to

1) The Coyotes having an owner with money
2) Buying the land in the PERFECT location
3) The NHL forcing a sale at this point because the timeline is EXACTLY the same as TED without remediation....

I will buy a Time Machine and punch 2009 me in the face for even giving a damn.. This would be absolutely ridiculous.
1000% this.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Yeah I'm not really buying the Gambo is owned by the Mormon Mafia shtick. He's been saying stupid stuff since he worked for Xtra 910 or whatever TF it was called.

About the only time he ever did anything worthwhile regarding the Coyotes was his whole ill drive Mike Smith to the airport bit. At least that was funny.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Whoever just f***in barbecued Gambo with a lesson in political economy of media here just earned themself a drink. :biglaugh:

And then he has the audacity to gaslight us and suggest the people signing his paychecks don't influence his agenda:

Wow. Just wow. That's some straight up narc shit right there. GTFOOH John.

Gambo has never given a shit about the coyotes. A local media member should NEVER campaign for a local team, a big 4 team no less, to leave the market. He’s a disgrace

Gambodoro has had exactly two inside sources with the Coyotes - Shane Doan and Jeremy Roenick. The farther away those two guys got from the franchise, the bigger and smellier the shit that Gambo threw at the wall to see what stuck. He's a f***ing blowhard joke.

That said, I doubt seriously that he's answering to Bonneville in making these posts. He's just being a moron and hoping to get enough right that he can brand it a scoop. That's not to say that Bonneville isn't involved somehow in trying to grease the skids to get the Coyotes to Salt Lake, though. Remember what I said about who pulls the strings in Utah, and also remember that Bonneville is a wholly owned subsidiary of LDS, Inc.

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
Water preservation is still important.
Efficiency is a must in that regards. I just think about the drought that spain and the south of france are suffering from and i really appreciate that our family tries to be as efficient with water as possible. And we life in a place without a drought.

And yeah the mayor might pull a stunt to secure his reelection but if we leave out the Bs then there are a few points that are valid.
the global water supply is continually redistributed. Very little water is lost or created relative to the supply. So, we got what we got, and therefore being wise with its use is a good idea. But , I think, it is far from the alarming situation some make it out to be.

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Los Angeles, CA & Surprise, AZ
The idea that's being suggested that the Coyotes would relocate and AZ would get an expansion team is the most delusional thing I've read on this board. Bettman has been dragged through the mud for years claiming AZ is a viable hockey market. Can you imagine the response if the Coyotes were forced to move after years of failing to become a stable franchise and Bettman turned around and awarded AZ an expansion franchise (and nobody is going to get an arena build without a permanent tenant).

It's all riding on the auction and I don't see the Coyotes failing here unless AM pulls the plug which doesn't seem to be his intentions.

MayDayMayDay

F****** Pheasants!
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Gambodoro has had exactly two inside sources with the Coyotes - Shane Doan and Jeremy Roenick. The farther away those two guys got from the franchise, the bigger and smellier the shit that Gambo threw at the wall to see what stuck. He's a f***ing blowhard joke.

That said, I doubt seriously that he's answering to Bonneville in making these posts. He's just being a moron and hoping to get enough right that he can brand it a scoop. That's not to say that Bonneville isn't involved somehow in trying to grease the skids to get the Coyotes to Salt Lake, though. Remember what I said about who pulls the strings in Utah, and also remember that Bonneville is a wholly owned subsidiary of LDS, Inc.
OMG you just reminded me of a time back in high school when we were in a band practice and some LDS missionaries knocked on our door. We hid till they left, then our guitarist (whose name, not even kidding, was Shane) grabbed his acoustic, ran outside and followed them down the block singing the Sum41 Hail Satan song. He followed them for like 3 blocks before he was like, "Ok back to band practice, thanks you guys, you been great!" Lol.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Are your pants wet? Must have been a good dream.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
The idea that's being suggested that the Coyotes would relocate and AZ would get an expansion team is the most delusional thing I've read on this board. Bettman has been dragged through the mud for years claiming AZ is a viable hockey market. Can you imagine the response if the Coyotes were forced to move after years of failing to become a stable franchise and Bettman turned around and awarded AZ an expansion franchise (and nobody is going to get an arena build without a permanent tenant).

It's all riding on the auction and I don't see the Coyotes failing here unless AM pulls the plug which doesn't seem to be his intentions.
It's no more ridiculous a scenario than Atlanta being mentioned as a shoe-in for a 3rd try, is it?

Are our pants wet? Must have been a good dream.
I don't know anything about your pants, old man. I'm gonna keep it that way.

• Haha
Reactions: Kaizen and Jakey53

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Honestly, this is the ideal situation. The organization has a stigma attached to it. I've said before to blow the whole thing up. Gives 'em time to build the arena+district, gets rid of the team nobody cares about that came from somewhere else, gets rid of the NHLPA complaining about Mullett and escrow, you can market it as "Phoenix's team," with a new name, host the expansion draft to showcase the new barn, etc., etc.

It makes so much sense that it'll likely never happen. It's so dreamy to think about.
It's bullshit, is what it is. The economics of it would stink for Meruello as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad