Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose "Days of Our Meruelo" Talk

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
This is Ortega in a nutshell: (Know your enemy lol)

"worked as an architect in Arizona for about four decades"

"...steered the city away from being one focused on development and growth... choosing instead to prioritize the preservation of Scottsdale's reputation as a tourism destination and on water conservation efforts."

"mandate environmentally-friendly building codes."

"cut the city's water usage by 38 million gallons through efforts ranging from "aggressively" seeking out leaks in the irrigation system, to incentivizing residential landscaping that doesn't require much water."

"made a push to "reign-in excessive building height and density in Old Town by instituting rules that mainly serve to limit the number of apartments allowed in certain parts of the city."

"opposition to new multifamily housing has been a driver behind making Scottsdale's market the least affordable in the Valley, and the mayor recently cut off the water supply to thousands of non-city residents to further his conservation efforts."

Link:
Who is mayor of Scottsdale? What to know about David Ortega

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Who gives a f*** if this tool from Scottsdale doesn't want the arena built there? It's in Phoenix. Out of all the shit that's come out to hinder the team in it's pursuit of a new arena, tax abatements, subsidies and everything else, this seems like the one blow hard not to worry about.
I think, based on how he's run Scottsdale lately, he may be the only man that might get the citizens of Scottsdale on the Coyotes' side...

JoeGarelli

Jun 24, 2013
so this guy (ortega) can bitch and moan all he wants.. but he cant actually do anything about it, can he? yotes need to stay in the valley.

Reactions: Prarievarg

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Chris Johnston, who I will add is not a Coyote's hater, talked about present situation on his last podcast. Coles notes is he thinks the end is coming whether its new arena or relocation but he reiterated as he normally does that if Coyotes leave Phoenix will be top of list for league expansion. So no surprise there from him. But one thing he talked about with some reservation was that NHL Players have really gotten tired of Mullett and the behind the scenes complaints are getting louder.

Without anything to back it up it got me wondering if the relocation, build arena, and expansion plan might be getting some real considerable?
Honestly, this is the ideal situation. The organization has a stigma attached to it. I've said before to blow the whole thing up. Gives 'em time to build the arena+district, gets rid of the team nobody cares about that came from somewhere else, gets rid of the NHLPA complaining about Mullett and escrow, you can market it as "Phoenix's team," with a new name, host the expansion draft to showcase the new barn, etc., etc.

It makes so much sense that it'll likely never happen. It's so dreamy to think about.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Honestly, this is the ideal situation. The organization has a stigma attached to it. I've said before to blow the whole thing up. Gives 'em time to build the arena+district, gets rid of the team nobody cares about that came from somewhere else, gets rid of the NHLPA complaining about Mullett and escrow, you can market it as "Phoenix's team," with a new name, host the expansion draft to showcase the new barn, etc., etc.

It makes so much sense that it'll likely never happen. It's so dreamy to think about.
Absolutely f*** that noise! Sure you don't give a f*** because you like some other shit ass team but I don't want to get the Nordique treatment at all. I firmly believe BA is building a powerhouse that will compete for cups in the not too distant future and I want to see that happen here, it would be soul crushing to watch it happen in Utah.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Awaiting the return of my beloved team
Nov 14, 2018
Also we’ve been fighting the relocationists for so long that it’d crush my heart to see them all celebrate us finally leave. I’ve already become very disillusioned with the NHL community this season and that would just push me over the edge

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Absolutely f*** that noise! Sure you don't give a f*** because you like some other shit ass team but I don't want to get the Nordique treatment at all. I firmly believe BA is building a powerhouse that will compete for cups in the not too distant future and I want to see that happen here, it would be soul crushing to watch it happen in Utah.
A Nordiques comparison is a bit of a stretch considering they already had 3 guys that were clearly going to be HOFers, but I understand where you're coming from.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
Also we’ve been fighting the relocationists for so long that it’d crush my heart to see them all celebrate us finally leave. I’ve already become very disillusioned with the NHL community this season and that would just push me over the edge
100%. I'd stay away from the NHL. Doubtful I'd even come back if AM gets an expansion.
I’m not liking the looks of this one. Salt Lake City here we come
Why? Because of Seravalli, Gambo and some whiny Scottsdale politician? I still feel more confident in this project than I ever did with the TED.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Haven’t thought of this boy since I iggy’d him back in the Basillie years.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Who gives a f*** if this tool from Scottsdale doesn't want the arena built there? It's in Phoenix. Out of all the shit that's come out to hinder the team in it's pursuit of a new arena, tax abatements, subsidies and everything else, this seems like the one blow hard not to worry about.
I don't think he doesn't want the arena or is an enemy of the project.
What he is doing is what he should do for his city: Getting answers and saying what is possible and what not.
Nothing more, nothing less.
He just says that his city cannot give the water needed. That is only fair and valid.
And he asks about the influence on his local economy. Thats also valid.
But that does not mean that he is trying to stop this. We should not jump to that conclusion or antagonize the man for doing his job as mayor.

And in regards to water he is more than right. Its the desert and water is not that abundant. That also explains why he puts such focus on cutting down on water usage. Which to me is a good thing.

At the end the auction bid will include the answers to most of his questions and that should satisfy him. If it doesn't he will approach the group and ask more questions behind the scenes. He doesn't seem like the person who wants to do that in public, but more like a reasonable person. At least to me.

TLDR: Don't overthink this, the dude is just doing his work and asking questions regarding his town. And those will be answered by the bid.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
Scottsdale mayor is a piss baby because his city won't be getting the economic benefits of this deal and only the supposed negatives, i.e., traffic, etc. Oh well. He could have stepped up and made an arrangement for the Coyotes to build in Scottsdale when there was an opportunity to do so.

Also, needs to be very careful with his language here or run the risk of a libel suit from Meruelo.

Reactions: LittlePipes

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Honestly, that's not going to happen. IF it did for some unknow dumb reason I think the remaining fan base will say screw you to the NHL. Waiting all these years and finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel only to have it taken away and start over. Also, this is probably Walsh behind all this BS.

Reactions: Prarievarg

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't think he doesn't want the arena or is an enemy of the project.
What he is doing is what he should do for his city: Getting answers and saying what is possible and what not.
Nothing more, nothing less.
He just says that his city cannot give the water needed. That is only fair and valid.
And he asks about the influence on his local economy. Thats also valid.
But that does not mean that he is trying to stop this. We should not jump to that conclusion or antagonize the man for doing his job as mayor.

And in regards to water he is more than right. Its the desert and water is not that abundant. That also explains why he puts such focus on cutting down on water usage. Which to me is a good thing.

At the end the auction bid will include the answers to most of his questions and that should satisfy him. If it doesn't he will approach the group and ask more questions behind the scenes. He doesn't seem like the person who wants to do that in public, but more like a reasonable person. At least to me.

TLDR: Don't overthink this, the dude is just doing his work and asking questions regarding his town. And those will be answered by the bid.
First of all it's not his water, secondly, construction and big developments are happening all over the city and this shit head mayor hasn't made a whisper about those projects. Thirdly, we are not running out of water. I have a developer friend and he said it's the easy topic to talk about with all politicians. There are numerous ways to conserve water and the state is doing that and they will be doing more. Arizona wastes a lot of water, same as any metropolitan area.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Scottsdale mayor is a piss baby because his city won't be getting the economic benefits of this deal and only the supposed negatives, i.e., traffic, etc. Oh well. He could have stepped up and made an arrangement for the Coyotes to build in Scottsdale when there was an opportunity to do so.

Also, needs to be very careful with his language here or run the risk of a libel suit from Meruelo.
Another politician wanting his 15 minutes of fame without thinking what is coming out of his mouth. Scottsdale hosts some of the biggest events in the Phoenix area that causes plenty of traffic but they plan it right and handle it really well and the same will happen with the new ED. I don't think AM is worried what comes out of this two bit mayor's mouth.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I could care less about the escrow but they do. They don't want anything held back period but they also don't want to renegotiate the cba just yet.

Please, show me a study that the NHLPA has put together on lost revenue because of the team playing at Mullet instead of GRA, and the impact it has on HRR, and the correlation to escrow % they are paying. Otherwise, it's just hot air and the players don't actually know, and are just complaining because it's the cool thing to do(if they even are complaining). Just because the head of the NHLPA says something, doesn't mean it's a majority of the players that feel that way. The only group I'd be really concerned with their opinion are the ones on the Coyotes that have to play there 41 times a year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad