Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: [Update] Land Auction Cancelled, Meruelo waiving ownership rights.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Craig says 2 entities are interested because he talked to them but isn't sure by how much.

Peters says that he thinks getting Meruelo out is the fastest way to get a team back here (to be fair he was at an after party and already drinking LOL)

Regardless, I trust those guys more than any other source about this, and if they think it's a positive, then it is. It was clear to anyone with half a brain that Meruelo was never fully committed in getting an Arena, we've seen it again and again that things need to go his way or he'll just stop caring. Glendale, Tempe, NHLPA, CoP, ASLD, Bettman, whatever. I'm not at all surprised he decided walk away this early, and thank god he did.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Meruelo probably does build relationships -- just not good ones.

Once he's screwed you over once or twice, you're enemies for life. Very deep relationships. Just the wrong ones, that's all.

UK Yote

Jun 28, 2018
Haven't visited for a while do I take it Meurelo is done? No purchase of the land, no arena and no chance of the Yotes returning?

gorsk11

Logan Cooley for the win.
Jun 25, 2008
AZ
I am not in the slightest surprised by any of this. As some have posted, when they were sold and relocated I knew this owner wasn't going to get it done. It was clear the NHL was done with him. I figured it would take more than 2 months but not surprised ar all.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think the NHL got exactly what they were hoping for.

Bettman's a freaking genius.

:sarcasm:
Bettman has two decades of dealings with the Arizona's pea brain politicians and knew damn well AM would have obstacles finding land and building an arena and when Utah came along he jumped at the chance. NOW, the NHL is in the drivers seat and IF Arizona wants the NHL back it is going to cost. I doubt very much there is a knight in shining armor.

AZDesertKnight

Deactivated Coyotes Fan
Jan 13, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
Gary Bettman 4D chess masterclass.

-Gets bozo in Utah to pay the $1 billion
-Gets $200m extra to share in the relocation fee to other owners
-See's future, has AM walk away after failed auction 3.5 years earlier than anticipated

Gotta hand it to him. He cleaned this situation up nicely.. I can't be mad at him to be honest outside of finding us an owners worth the #$%^

Reactions: Matias Maccete

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
I think the funniest part of all of this is that the reason AM says he's leaving is that the City asked him to get some permits before bidding on the land. Like... he would've had to get the permits anyway, so who cares if he would've had to get the permits before or after the land auction, to the best of my knowledge the total time required stays the same, or at least roughly the same.

You could even argue the permit requirement was likely to save him tens of millions on the cost of the land because it'd probably have the effect of reducing the number of bidders (you'd assume other bidders would need to have prior permits for whatever they were planning to do as well, which means less likely to bid on this particular plot of land).

But yeah. "City of Phoenix is telling me I need building permits before I can bid on a site for an arena. Get ready for a lawsuit COP! And also, I'm leaving!!!"

This is like something out of Parks and Rec. You cannot make this stuff up

AND ALSO: Sale closed on June 13. News of him leaving the market on June 24. Not even two weeks

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I think the funniest part of all of this is that the reason AM says he's leaving is that the City asked him to get some permits before bidding on the land. Like... he would've had to get the permits anyway, so who cares if he would've had to get the permits before or after the land auction, to the best of my knowledge the total time required stays the same, or at least roughly the same.

You could even argue the permit requirement was likely to save him tens of millions on the cost of the land because it'd probably have the effect of reducing the number of bidders (you'd assume other bidders would need to have prior permits for whatever they were planning to do as well, which means less likely to bid on this particular plot of land).

But yeah. "City of Phoenix is telling me I need building permits before I can bid on a site for an arena. Get ready for a lawsuit COP! And also, I'm leaving!!!"

AND ALSO: Sale closed on June 13. News of him leaving the market on June 24. Not even two weeks
First 2 week deadline met in Coyote's history

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Gary Bettman 4D chess masterclass.

-Gets bozo in Utah to pay the $1 billion
-Gets $200m extra to share in the relocation fee to other owners
-See's future, has AM walk away after failed auction 3.5 years earlier than anticipated

Gotta hand it to him. He cleaned this situation up nicely.. I can't be mad at him to be honest outside of finding us an owners worth the #$%^

All these hockey fans boo Bettman and wonder why he isn't fired by the BoG.

Right here is why they keep the guy around.

We need a Ron Swanson. Instead, we got Jean-Ralphio Saperstien.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Bettman did so much, over such a long period of time to keep the NHL in Arizona. So much more than should be expected and I'm grateful. Unfortunately, all he was able to do was kick the can down the road until the inevitable happened.

The only thing I can think of that I blame him for was his public comments on Glendale. They were stupid and counterproductive.

As far as blaming him for not finding us better ownership... I think the sad truth is that the NHL couldn't own and operate the team forever and they ended up settling on pretenders because there just wasn't any other potentially good owners interested. Always taking what they could get and praying for a miracle.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Craig says 2 entities are interested because he talked to them but isn't sure by how much.

Peters says that he thinks getting Meruelo out is the fastest way to get a team back here (to be fair he was at an after party and already drinking LOL)

Regardless, I trust those guys more than any other source about this, and if they think it's a positive, then it is. It was clear to anyone with half a brain that Meruelo was never fully committed in getting an Arena, we've seen it again and again that things need to go his way or he'll just stop caring. Glendale, Tempe, NHLPA, CoP, ASLD, Bettman, whatever. I'm not at all surprised he decided walk away this early, and thank god he did.
The same Morgan and Petey who up until a few days before the announcement to Utah were belligerent with any media who reported a less than rosey pic of the Yotes situation? Those two?

While I appreciate what they do, we need to consider that news is what pays them, that they are fans with bias and will "report" accordingly. Craig also said later in the podcast that he would work to find out who the two potential buyers are, after claiming to have talked to them.... so there's that.

Reactions: kickback256

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Bettman did so much, over such a long period of time to keep the NHL in Arizona. So much more than should be expected and I'm grateful. Unfortunately, all he was able to do was kick the can down the road until the inevitable happened.

The only thing I can think of that I blame him for was his public comments on Glendale. They were stupid and counterproductive.

As far as blaming him for not finding us better ownership... I think the sad truth is that the NHL couldn't own and operate the team forever and they ended up settling on pretenders because there just wasn't any other potentially good owners interested. Always taking what they could get and praying for a miracle.
Yeah, all the warning signs were there, have been for over a decade now. All folks had to do was show up, if they were interested in keeping pro hockey.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ

Once the sale of the team went through, he had zero intentions toward building an arena or keeping the team name. The permit thing is absolutely laughable. He still wanted the land to develop commercial and residential but couldn't even do that correctly. He never wanted to be an NHL owner. Walking away with roughly $300 million was a windfall.

No one in the Valley should have a cross word to say about Bettman. That guy saved hockey here.
The same Morgan and Petey who up until a few days before the announcement to Utah were belligerent with any media who reported a less than rosey pic of the Yotes situation? Those two?

While I appreciate what they do, we need to consider that news is what pays them, that they are fans with bias and will "report" accordingly. Craig also said later in the podcast that he would work to find out who the two potential buyers are, after claiming to have talked to them.... so there's that.
Yeah, right now there are zero people with the interest plus resources to get this done. You're looking at $2 billion minimum, likely more than that by the time it gets worked out. I don't plan on ever seeing the NHL here again.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad