Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: [Update] Land Auction Cancelled, Meruelo waiving ownership rights.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The same Morgan and Petey who up until a few days before the announcement to Utah were belligerent with any media who reported a less than rosey pic of the Yotes situation? Those two?

While I appreciate what they do, we need to consider that news is what pays them, that they are fans with bias and will "report" accordingly. Craig also said later in the podcast that he would work to find out who the two potential buyers are, after claiming to have talked to them.... so there's that.
Not what they did but..

IMG_4165.png

Reactions: Arizonatah Coyetis

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Bettman did so much, over such a long period of time to keep the NHL in Arizona. So much more than should be expected and I'm grateful. Unfortunately, all he was able to do was kick the can down the road until the inevitable happened.

The only thing I can think of that I blame him for was his public comments on Glendale. They were stupid and counterproductive.

As far as blaming him for not finding us better ownership... I think the sad truth is that the NHL couldn't own and operate the team forever and they ended up settling on pretenders because there just wasn't any other potentially good owners interested. Always taking what they could get and praying for a miracle.
Agree. He should have been the peace maker between ownership groups and the city until a new arena was secured. I mean they did pay two $25 mil ransoms to keep the team here. That should have at least earned some respect if not grateful praise. Instead his stance not only salted the earth and turned fans away, it also set the stage for Meruelo acting like an arrogant ass towards the only city that actually had an arena for him to play in. Of course as it looks like that was Meruelo's plan to force a relocation sale, it might not have mattered anyway.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I get that stance, but is bad hockey, disappointment, frustration, and hopelessness a good thing in the interim? Or just wait a bit longer for a real owner? You know it'd be operating at bare bones if AM was still owner.
Well...ill just say, no one's promised tomorrow.

And I will never not believe had the Tempe "No" people failed, TED would have happened and it would have been awesome. For me. Win or lose.

I get that people who claim to have more inside info than me will say I'm crazy, but I now have no real reason to believe I'll ever live in an area with an NHL team in it again (at least not while i still remember my own name, heh), and that saddens me. Because I got a lot...a LOT...out of having a team here for 28 years, having moved here 30 years ago as a non-hockey person. First just a diversion, then a primary hobby, a vehicle to better health and fitness, and frankly most of my social life. Fortunately as long as all my parts stay intact I'll still have most of that, but it's different. I can tell already.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Wrong. Did you miss the part where in which, on the day they were forced to accept the reality of the team leaving, they profusely apologized to whomever the much maligned (around here and by those two) Canadian media guy was that originally broke the news?
I watched the podcast.

They apologized for all the fans that gave him crap.

• Haha
Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
The same Morgan and Petey who up until a few days before the announcement to Utah were belligerent with any media who reported a less than rosey pic of the Yotes situation? Those two?

While I appreciate what they do, we need to consider that news is what pays them, that they are fans with bias and will "report" accordingly. Craig also said later in the podcast that he would work to find out who the two potential buyers are, after claiming to have talked to them.... so there's that.
Craig was responding to Peters who asked him to find out more about the groups and write his next article about them. It's disingenuous to act like he didn't know who they were when he never said that.

Also when the news broke they weren't belligerent at all. At first they said there was no news from the Coyotes end, and then they had Seravelli come ON THE AIR and publicly apologized to him for being hard on him in the past. The only ones they've been belligerent too are AM and AM jr. And both of those clowns fully deserve it.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Just to say that I cannot wait for the first NHL game between the Utah Doormats vs the Phoenix Firebirds in 2038.

The battle of F40.

You know it, we know it.

I will be there. *

*I will also probably be in the Utah Legends section of HF Boards from September 24 but please do not tell anyone, 'cause it will be embarrassing for me and I have a family. Spare me. Go Doormats.

Snarky Coyote

Sponsor
May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
If things don't work out in 10 years and the Jets are looking to relocate, they could play temporarily at the Suns arena until a permanent home is built.

This would be the most Coyotes thing ever to happen.

It will be a long time before we have any professional hockey here. I really hoped that an imperfect AM would get it done, but I think deep down he was the last entrepreneur who made a killing off owning the Coyotes at the expense of the fans, the city, and the NHL. They all made money and put a crappy subpar product on the ice. It started when the team traded off pieces like Ronning and Janey. Tkachuk's contract also forced the team to trade him with his eight million-a-year contract. It was downhill from there. Many people deserved better, Shane Doan deserved better, Keith Yandle deserved better, Daniel Briere deserved better, and at different times, Glendale, Betteman, and other individuals did just enough to keep the team here on life support—lots of great memories. I remember a fan fest where Jeremy Roenick was told by his handlers that he had to leave his autograph booth and his time was up, he complied and then circled around and came back and talked to every single fan that wanted to talk to him. I remember the kindness Derek Morris and Shane Doan showed to my son at events. Shane even remembered his name. But there were problems, too. There were many cheap shots and digs from some of our northern neighbors, and like every Disney movie besides heroes, there were great big, larger-than-life villains. Ellman, Moyes, Ice Edge, Barroway, and the biggest wart on the Coyote's ass was Alex Merurilo and his motley gang of nepotistic grifters. I think over time, the sadness will fade, and the good times will remain. I feel swindled and cheated by a bunch of rich people who never cared about anything other than what they could make, and they all made money. Not one of them lost a dime (although most of them ran out of cash). If there is justice in the world Bettman will work to get us a decent ownership group in a few years devoid of the baggage and drama that the team carried from the day they moved here in 1996.

I don't know what the future holds. I think I am going to jump on the Utah bandwagon, though as familiar players leave, there may be less of a pull. Maybe we will get a minor league team, and that will serve as a bridge. Or maybe ASU hockey will fill that need, I am not sure. I just know it's been a long strange adventure, and I appreciate the journey with all of you, except for some of the douchebags in the BOH, even though they were probably more often than not right.

Knights2017

Deactivated Coyotes Fan
Jan 13, 2021
Gilbert, AZ

PROVE IT

The logo, name, and everything associated with the franchise need to be buried somewhere and never revived. If someone comes up with the money(they won't) then they need to start from scratch and put this dumpster fire out for good.
Absolutely. KISS the kachina and howling coyote jerseys goodbye. They’re gone.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad