Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: [Update] Land Auction Cancelled, Meruelo waiving ownership rights.

Snarky Coyote

Sponsor
May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
Regardless of why, if you are the owner, the buck stops with you. Yes, this feels like other powers are trying to kill the auction. AM better figure out how to maneuver through if he is still trying; also, actually, talking to people helps. Also, it may be time to make a large donation to Katie Hobbs's inauguration fund.

Reactions: Nowotny and gorsk11

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
I am completely numb at this point.
Only thing i care about is that the utah project crashes and burns down to the ground.

AM needs the zoning issue resolved asap. But i expect that to not happen and if it would, it would take forever. So its over.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I am completely numb at this point.
Only thing i care about is that the utah project crashes and burns down to the ground.

AM needs the zoning issue resolved asap. But i expect that to not happen and if it would, it would take forever. So its over.
Numb is putting it lightly. Like I said before, it's almost impossible to do business in AZ and /or get anything done because of our political climate right now.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I want an announcement that meruelo has ceded all ownership of the brand and is walking away TODAY. He is the most irresponsible, reckless, incompetent, vapid, vacuous owner in the history of North American professional sports.
How in hell can you point fingers at AM for any of this?

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Numb is putting it lightly. Like I said before, it's almost impossible to do business in AZ and /or get anything done because of our political climate right now.

Its eigther Nimbys, conservatives or bureaucrats.
Or all of the above,

Why don't they ask for that 5 months ago? Why just now?
How long does it take to get a permit? 5 months?
And how long does that delay an auction? 6months+?
Does he need to get reevaluation for the land?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
There is one small bright spot in this latest hilariously stupid gaffe - the fact that the Land Trust wants Meruelo to apply for a permit to actually build an arena and not just commercial development on the land.

Maybe a question we should be asking is why Meruelo didn't apply for that permit in the initial filing...
I have never heard of applying for a permit on land you don't own. This should have all be stipulated in the auction packet if that was what they wanted. Sounds like AM was the only applicant. State probably thought there would be a bidding war. Why should anyone be surprised, really.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Maybe a question we should be asking is why Meruelo didn't apply for that permit in the initial filing...

According to Craig Morgan, Meruelo was told weeks ago by the City of Phoenix that he literally had to win the auction before he could submit a "Zoning Interpretation Request" to see if they'd allow him to build the arena. And that they wouldn't guarantee approval if it was needed. Which is asinine.

Unless I'm misunderstanding all this, it seems to me that the City of Phoenix is responsible for this turn of events because it's different than what they said was required previously. Meruelo may have been misled.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad