Confirmed with Link: Canucks Re-Sign Dakota Joshua to 4y/3.25m Contract

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I absolutely love this. Probably got a 500-750k discount to open market bids, and there would likely be 5+ year term out there for him.

If the trade was 2027 2nd + Mikeyev for Dakota Joshua 4x 3.25MM + 2027 4th you would laugh all the way to the bank.

This team is so much better with Dakota Joshua in the lineup and it wasn't a coincidence that the team started floundering once he got hurt (and I feel that really hampered him as we got deeper into the playoffs).

Time to go hunting for Pettersson's linemate, and try to find some value on the defence market.

This new management is just such a quantum step above the last group that it's laughable there was a thread comparing them to Benning.

SiZ

Jun 24, 2020
I would imagine Hoglander will retain his position on Pettersson's wing, there is really not another NHL-ready option. They'll add to Pettersson's other side (Guentzel or other), leave Suter with Miller, and spend the remaining on defense. Third line stays the same as last year pre-Lindholm.

Not ideal to have Suter in top-6, but I guess he does have decent chemistry with them and is pretty good at potting greasy goals. Yeah, you're right, I could see them just going for 1 more winger and then working the D.

Reactions: Lindgren

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Another good deal and bang on assessment.

Ppl going on about 4M + for one good season never made any sense, again I'm not worried in the slightest for the next few weeks/offseason.

Surely Zadorov is next under five mil.

He wouldn't have gotten $4m AAV here. Of that I am nearly certain.

Out in FA? Absolutely. Take a look at my post history to view the conversation where $4m AAV was considered a bargain....

Recency bias would have gotten him paid. GMs see a big penalty killer and good ES producer and would not resist. He was getting $4m+ AAV all day.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
well I'm less gung ho about trading Garland now that that third line remains in tact. Assumption was Joshua was gone.

Reactions: Vector

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Of these two options, one makes 3.25MM x 4, the other makes 6.5MMx7 and is 2 years older than Joshua. Can you guess who?

63GP 18 G 14 A 245 hits
74 GP 18 G 17 A 228 hits

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Extremely happy, Joshua's size and physical presence was vital in the playoffs and it's very unlikely the Canuck would have been able to replace it in free agency.

I also want to point out that this contract is almost identical in value to the one Burrows got when he first broke out. 2M in 2009's cap is equal to 3.1M with an 88M salary cap. ;)

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
The last 24 hours has been amazing for the Canucks, awesome work by the front office!

Couple more holes to fill, but team is looking good going into next season.

PS: perfect cap hit and term for DJ imo, I'm a little surprised he didn't try his luck with UFA only a few days away.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I 100% want them to re-sign Zadorov.

I won't like the term but his size/presence/physicality is something that was massive and is basically impossible to replace.
I agree for sure. Based on what’s transpired, I have a feeling theyll get something done for around $4.5Mx6.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
This is fantastic. Best third line in hockey is intact, with a little wiggle room to improve one of the most suspect second lines in hockey!

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I know people hate Suter in the top 6, but he was a nice 3rd wheel there so as of now we have:

Hoglander(?) - Petey - ______
Suter - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Blueger - Garland

Just get Petey a legit playdriving winger who can put up 60+ points. If they're bringing back Zadorov, Hog is pretty much penciled in next to Petey then

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad