Prospect Info: All-Purpose 2024 Draft Thread & Celebrini discussion (also the 14th pick and whatever else is draft related)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who should the Sharks draft #1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Kiviharju’s mediocre skating was the main reason I wasn’t high on him even before he got hurt this year.

Personally, I wouldn’t touch him until the third round.
Yeah I think realistically I would have taken Emery at 33 which the way that draft played out but I was very entertained by having Macklin Eiserman and Kiviharju.

I think I’m in the minority on Kiviharju for sure. I’m very very high on players who have high IQ. Probably a little too high and I think Kiviharju has that.

aircobra

May 4, 2013

You don't think "I don't think Ferraro is miles behind Makar" is calling them similar prospects?

You thought Celebrini looked unhappy in a Jr Sharks photo he took and wanted nothing to do with being drafted by the Sharks. I'd cool it on criticizing others on their takes.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
We'll see what happens. Your second paragraph is exactly why he's being compared to Seider. No matter, what, we should be getting a solid prospect at 14.
Difference for me is that Seider played in a league that was light years better than the Norwegian Mens league that Solberg played in (and Seider is RH which is more rare and more valuable). I don't want to chase anomalies (as late risers tend to be).

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Difference for me is that Seider played in a league that was light years better than the Norwegian Mens league that Solberg played in (and Seider is RH which is more rare and more valuable). I don't want to chase anomalies (as late risers tend to be).
Sure. Again, we'll see what happens. He held his own as the #1D in an NHL level tournament at age 18. That's either too much weight being put on one tournament, or the evidence of massive progress at a young age. That definitionally = risk in the pick. I happen to be a believer, and I'd rather chase a riser than a faller unless the faller is for reasons like Musty (hard to spot and where the scouts make their money). As it happens though, if we have a choice between MBN and Solberg, given current information I prefer MBN slightly and hope he turns into Zetterlund or better.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
You thought Celebrini looked unhappy in a Jr Sharks photo he took and wanted nothing to do with being drafted by the Sharks. I'd cool it on criticizing others on their takes.
You get that was a joke, right?

Anyways I wasn't the one saying that a prospect has virtually zero chance to play in the NHL based off my own viewings. Maybe they are missing out on Luca's skills that will help him be a NHLer, just like they missed on the things that made Makar a miles better prospect than Ferraro.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I just really hope we don't draft Catton, Parekh, Eiserman or Connelly at 14. I'd be fine with pretty much everyone else I see being mocked in the top ~20.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
You get that was a joke, right?

Anyways I wasn't the one saying that a prospect has virtually zero chance to play in the NHL based off my own viewings. Maybe they are missing out on Luca's skills that will help him be a NHLer, just like they missed on the things that made Makar a miles better prospect than Ferraro.
You obsessed with me or something?

I’m far from the only person who has ever messed up on a prospect evaluation. I acknowledged that Cagnoni could absolutely prove me wrong.

If none of us were ever allowed to share our opinions that might be wrong, this board would be a ghost town. Seriously, let it go.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
So, we're drafting Jiricek, right?

Like, that's what's gonna happen, correct?
On Pronman’s podcast a couple weeks ago he basically admitted that he’s going to keep mocking Jiricek to the Sharks because we need D.

Assuming we stay at 14, I personally think the choice will come down to Jiricek, Solberg, and Brandsegg-Nygard with Eiserman still on the board but not seriously considered by Grier.

Celebrini
2-5 in some order: Levshunov, Demidov, Lindstrom, Silayev
6-13 in some order: Dickinson, Buium, Catton, Iginla, Sennecke, Parekh, Yakemchuk, Helenius
14: Jiricek, Solberg, Brandsegg-Nygard, Eiserman, Chernyshov, Hage, etc. in consideration

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
IMG_3779.jpeg

So, some may not be aware, but draft pros I think is the mock draft sim website I usually go through, has updated their rankings system to include McKenzie and Button’s 2024 rankings. I chose Mckenzies list and this how my mock fell. Don’t sleep on Hutson! I have a feeling he’s gonna be a stud playoff performer.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
On Pronman’s podcast a couple weeks ago he basically admitted that he’s going to keep mocking Jiricek to the Sharks because we need D.

Assuming we stay at 14, I personally think the choice will come down to Jiricek, Solberg, and Brandsegg-Nygard with Eiserman still on the board but not seriously considered by Grier.

Celebrini
2-5 in some order: Levshunov, Demidov, Lindstrom, Silayev
6-13 in some order: Dickinson, Buium, Catton, Iginla, Sennecke, Parekh, Yakemchuk, Helenius
14: Jiricek, Solberg, Brandsegg-Nygard, Eiserman, Chernyshov, Hage, etc. in consideration
I haven't been following mocks, so thanks for the breakdown, I just know Jiricek is looked at at the "best of the rest" when it comes to D prospects and that the bigger names aren't likely to fall all the way to 14

I hope we just go BPA on the team's personal board regardless of position, but I can imagine a certain amount of anxiety creeping in to the front office due to our woeful D prospect cupboard, I wonder if they take a positional swing with the spare 1st since they don't have any real brightspots on the backend

I hope not, because we're still thin everywhere and we just need the best shot at high end talent no matter the position, but I can imagine that thought process emerging with the scouting staff

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California

I’m far from the only person who has ever messed up on a prospect evaluation. I acknowledged that Cagnoni could absolutely prove me wrong.

If none of us were ever allowed to share our opinions that might be wrong, this board would be a ghost town. Seriously, let it go.
I thought Ivan Chekovich was gonna be a top-6er LMAO

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

I thought 2014 was gonna be a great draft class lol.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I thought Ivan Chekovich was gonna be a top-6er LMAO
Ugh, me too. And I loved Nikolai Goldobin, he was so good with the Cuda I still have trouble believing he didn’t pan out. Not just scoring but he looked phenomenal.

I thought 2014 was gonna be a great draft class lol.
Good thing we have Kevin Labanc!

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
View attachment 879741

So, some may not be aware, but draft pros I think is the mock draft sim website I usually go through, has updated their rankings system to include McKenzie and Button’s 2024 rankings. I chose Mckenzies list and this how my mock fell. Don’t sleep on Hutson! I have a feeling he’s gonna be a stud playoff performer.

If we pull Macklin, Yak, and Hutson with our first three picks, I’ll river dance on my coffee table until my wife pulls me off.

Patty Ice

Mighty Luca
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
View attachment 879741

If Grier grabs a goalie, I want it to be Gidlof the Goalie purely for the Juxt memes.

Oh and a reason to buy this shirt.
1717625549981.png

He's 6'6 as well right in Griersy goalie needs.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Check out this Podcast: S6: NHL Scouting Combine - PART I: Macklin Celebrini & Chris Morehouse S6: NHL Scouting Combine - PART I: Macklin Celebrini & Chris Morehouse

NHL Draft Class podcast from Combine
for those who didn't want to listen, here's a 5-10min summary read, Morehouse is our Dir Amateur Scouting:
  • Conversation with Macklin didn't reveal much. Talked about his injury, talked about growing up in Vancouver, talked very briefly about the Warriors, revealed nothing about whether he is planning to sign or go back (seems silly) - the hosts said he really did seem like he's being thoughtful about whether to come to SJ or not. Seems generally very laid back. Talked about Eiserman as "one of my best friends." Talked about video review with Jay Pandolfo at BU. Talked about Bedard "a magician on the ice." No superstitions, not much routine before games, wrist shot over slapshot.
  • Convo with Chris Morehouse. Talked about Celebrini off ice, "everything you read and hear about the kid is true, family did an incredible job," etc. All glowing reviews, he just "has it." Talked about how the kids that "have it" stand out, cited interviewing Makar in the past asking scouts questions, talked about Bedard having "it" as well. Says "compete" is the one thing that's always present in the best and important to them. Says they really want to let Macklin decide what he wants to do next year - what's best for him and the future.
  • "We also have 14, 33, and 42, really good opportunity to continue building what we put together last year."
  • 70 interviews this week, get as much info as they can, talk to as many kids before they become property of other teams. Trying to build info on psychology, physiology.
  • Club's philosophy behind drafting: "Don't want to reveal too much, but an eye on where you are, an eye on where you want to go, but also keep thinking about not drafting players like you already have because it diminishes that asset."
  • On pick 14: BPA, or leaning toward a player type? "Hard question to answer but in that area you're gravitating toward talent aspect. Some situations where you start to consider need, want, best talent available, but also draft kid with best situation to succeed." "The media starts the list, then everyone reacts to that... the idea BPA from the media might not be what ours is. A value of a player on our team might not be the value of the player on another team. You have to pay attention, but you have to keep a mindset that there's a lot of noise. Our job is to figure out if the media is right or who is falling between gaps."
  • "Everybody likes the clear cut 1 vs 2, we get why the press does it. We get central scouting's list as well, they work their tails off, it's just more we have to figure out the middle ground of 'the general talent list' versus what works for us."
  • "The best part about Mike (Grier) is the communication, inclusivity, I always know where his head's at and where we want to go, the team we're trying to build. We have a really unique opportunity to have an impact on how the Sharks look for the next 5-10 years."
  • Asked about Jiricek and Lindstrom: "we get all the medical info we can, both kids played a lot underage and enough international events, both kids played enough that teams will have an idea, more about where are we at with the injury today. Both injuries require you to make sure that they're going to heal properly and be OK. Seems like they're both on their way. Now it's ultimately figuring out if they're healthy."
  • "Yes, it's tough not having the Russian kids here. We're lucky, the agencies are putting together camps."
  • "When you're looking at the good prospect pool before and this year, what's the excitement level for what you're building in San Jose?" -- "For us, it's just one step at a time. Sounds cliche and it is. Last year was my first draft in San Jose, we had a process in place and executed and felt really good about the draft. Credit our scouts for that. If we can end every year saying all our prospects have a chance to play... no one wants to admit it, but you know pretty early if they don't have a chance... they show up to the prospect game and you say 'uh oh...' if we can end every year saying our prospects took a step, that's all we want to try and do." "Build up that foundation and get to the point where Mike can start trading all our picks away (laughs)."
  • He played with Brad Marchand -- says he could see the competitiveness in Junior even if it was a bit rough/troubled. "exceptional athlete, exceptionally competitive. There's an example of he is what he is because he was so highly talented, but also smart, adapted down to 4th line, worked his way up, doesn't surprise me because he's driven to be the best."
My takeaway: whoever we draft at 14 is going to be really competitive and driven. And we're not likely to take a player that looks like other players in our pipeline if we have too much of an archetype (e.g. big 2-3rd line C/W, possibly smaller skilled W). I could see them evaluating Eiserman and saying "he wants to win so badly, he just needs guidance how to do it better than he currently does." We'll see. MBN, Solberg, Jiricek all still in play, all about Jiricek's knee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad