Prospect Info: All-Purpose 2024 Draft Thread & Celebrini discussion (also the 14th pick and whatever else is draft related)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who should the Sharks draft #1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
But his injury might be a legitimate concern.

That being said, a lot of guys over the years have dropped for reasons that were blown out of proportion and ended up being total nothingburgers.

I don't envy any manager having to make these decisions, but it's sooooo much easier for Grier with 1 and 14 instead of, say, 3 and 14. As appealing as Lindstrom is, I don't think he's a guy worth trading up for--considering how hard trading up tends to be in the top half of the first round historically--but I do think he could end up turning out very well, so I'm certainly hoping he ends up in the East and far away from the Sharks since it seems like an awkward fit in terms of picking him.
I think if Lindstrom falls past the Habs and UTA, he's likely to fall to 9. But if he falls past the Flames and NJ, then the injury is too problematic. He should fall to the high teens and we shouldn't take the risk.

It's why Jiricek Will also likely fall to the high teens. Yeah, there's upside, there's also "never plays an NHL season" downside when better options are available.

Reactions: Sandisfan

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
slocal said:
SJeasy passed away, sadly

Holy f*** did i just read some old but terrible f***in news. Seen that sjeasy might have passed away. As someone who used to also do ref reviews i had a ton of conversations with him in pm. He was a great guy and taught me a lot about hockey officiating.

I had been following scouting the refs site for a few years after not watching as much hockey around the 2016-2018 seasons. I wasnt following hockey or on forums and i havent been in the sharks forums much since i moved to dallas in 13. Based on charts looking the same and tons of the same info i thought he turned his passion into a business and was feeling proud of his work. Hopefully scouttherefs is gooseman site.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Holy f*** did i just read some old but terrible f***in news. Seen that sjeasy might have passed away. As someone who used to also do ref reviews i had a ton of conversations with him in pm. He was a great guy and taught me a lot about hockey officiating.

I had been following scouting the refs site for a few years after not watching as much hockey around the 2016-2018 seasons. I wasnt following hockey or on forums and i havent been in the sharks forums much since i moved to dallas in 13. Based on charts looking the same and tons of the same info i thought he turned his passion into a business and was feeling proud of his work. Hopefully scouttherefs is gooseman site.

It says something when a poster on a random Sharks message board touched so many people. He was a great guy and I think taught a ton of us about hockey. Let’s win a Cup for Easy.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
But his injury might be a legitimate concern.

That being said, a lot of guys over the years have dropped for reasons that were blown out of proportion and ended up being total nothingburgers.

I don't envy any manager having to make these decisions, but it's sooooo much easier for Grier with 1 and 14 instead of, say, 3 and 14. As appealing as Lindstrom is, I don't think he's a guy worth trading up for--considering how hard trading up tends to be in the top half of the first round historically--but I do think he could end up turning out very well, so I'm certainly hoping he ends up in the East and far away from the Sharks since it seems like an awkward fit in terms of picking him.
I agree 100% with all of that. Here I am woeing that we wont get Lindstrom when i'm overlooking it's because we will get Celelbrini lol.

There are players like this every draft, just something about him was like "please be a Shark". Freak athletes are fun to watch

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Celebrini-Smith-Lindstrom would be a wow caliber center group. Lindstrom adds size and natural goal scoring we lack amongst our core forwards. He's a complete player. That's a boom/bust worth taking a shot on if you could trade up for him around 10.

• Wow

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Celebrini-Smith-Lindstrom would be a wow caliber center group. Lindstrom adds size and natural goal scoring we lack amongst our core forwards. He's a complete player. That's a boom/bust worth taking a shot on if you could trade up for him around 10.
Celebrini-Smith-Edstrom should be pretty damn good in its own right. I feel like Edstrom is getting slept on. 25 points in 58 SHL games as a 18/19 year old center is impressive, plus he's huge and has a reputation as a great defensive forward.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
It’s the time of year where I start having vivid nightmares about the draft. Last night I dreamed we took Alfons Freij 14th overall. A week ago I dreamed we took some random goaltender named Gidlof 33rd overall, only to wake and find out that was a real person. I’m way too into the NHL draft is what I’m trying to say.
I'd rather we draft a wizard named Gandolf.

Never trade an unprotected 1st. I thought we already learned that lesson the hard way.
The league will gift the Knights #1 overall, then remember we own the pick. :naughty:

• Haha
Reactions: DG93 and Sandisfan

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
The 2025 draft looks to be center heavy (Hagens, Misa, Frondell are in the top 4) and 2026 is forward heavy as well (McKenna). I'd be thrilled with one of the centers in 2025. It's possible one- or a few- of Hensler/Threthewey/Boumedienne/Shaefer end up being #1 caliber D prospects. However, it seems like with 14 we're awfully close to a premier d prospect this year.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall to know who Grier has a first pairing grade on amongst Buium, Silayev, Dickinson, Parekh, Yakemchuk, Levshunov, and Jiricek/Stolberg/Emery/Elick/Freij. If you can go get one of the d-men you really like with some combo of 14, 33, 42, Vegas 1st, SJ 2025 2nd, Bordeleau/Guschin, you've got to consider it. It'll be interesting to see if anyone is able to trade up into the top 10.

Don't see Chicago, Anaheim, or Columbus moving down much. Utah and Montreal need premier talent, though I could see MTL moving down if BPA are d-men. I could see Ottawa, Seattle, NJ, and Buffalo moving down but not sure they'd move down to 14.

I see us adding some vet forwards and with Celebrini, Smith, Musty, Eklund, and 1-2 of Bystedt/Edstrom/Bords/Guschin/Hultanen/Graf/Lund in your top 9, how much more youth to you really need up front. D-men are freaking hard to project so maybe taking 3-4 shots is the better route? It just feels like this is such a good d class that we may be able to get our #1 or #2 d-man with Pitt's first and some extras.
Habs fans are pretty divided, but I think the general sentiment is that we'll take BPA regardless of position. Habs management isn't afraid to go against consensus and doesn't seem to only draft for need. Obviously this is a fascinating draft to follow because there isn't really any consensus though.

Hagens and McKenna to that center depth
Who cares - Hagens - Who cares
Who cares - Celebrini - Who cares
Who cares - McKenna - Who cares
Who cares - Smith - Who cares

:nod:

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Habs fans are pretty divided, but I think the general sentiment is that we'll take BPA regardless of position. Habs management isn't afraid to go against consensus and doesn't seem to only draft for need. Obviously this is a fascinating draft to follow because there isn't really any consensus though.

Who cares - Hagens - Who cares
Who cares - Celebrini - Who cares
Who cares - McKenna - Who cares
Who cares - Smith - Who cares

:nod:

LOL. Love the C depth. If we do get Hagens next draft though it’ll be interesting to see if we move Smith to wing and stack the top 6.

Eklund-Celebrini-UFA
Musty-Hagens-Smith

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
LOL. Love the C depth. If we do get Hagens next draft though it’ll be interesting to see if we move Smith to wing and stack the top 6.

Eklund-Celebrini-UFA
Musty-Hagens-Smith
I would love that group. I'd be A-OK with Zetterlund in that group, but if he's pushed to the 3rd line, all the better.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Has anyone SEEN Edstrom play? I’ve read drafting reports and he’s certainly an interesting player who, like Hodge said, seems like a really smart defensive forward with some pop. Jux has suggested this before but a Bystedt - Edstrom - Halttunen line could be an insane 3rd line that’s hard to play against and can score. They can even pick up Cagnoni and toss him to each other if they need him to get to a spot quickly.

Anyway, curious if anyone’s actually watched him.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Has anyone SEEN Edstrom play? I’ve read drafting reports and he’s certainly an interesting player who, like Hodge said, seems like a really smart defensive forward with some pop. Jux has suggested this before but a Bystedt - Edstrom - Halttunen line could be an insane 3rd line that’s hard to play against and can score. They can even pick up Cagnoni and toss him to each other if they need him to get to a spot quickly.

Swedish Mafia 3rd line of Bystedt-Edstrom-Zetterlund sounds even better.

Anyway, I haven't seen Edstrom play outside of highlight clips but his coaches at Frölunda have no reason to care about his development and still gave him a ton of minutes on a playoff team, including in the playoffs. That says it all.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Pronman's ranking is out. Hold onto your butts once more as this one and Bob MacK's final lists are decent noisy indicators of pro scout preference.

Tier 1 - Celebrini (comp: Crosby)
Tier 2 - Levshunov
Tier 3 - Yakemchuk, Silayev, Buium
Tier 4 - Catton, Sennecke, Demidov
Tier 5 - Parekh, Lindstrom, Dickinson (#11)
Tier 6 - Solberg (#12), Iginla, Helenius, Jiricek, Eiserman, MBN, Chernyshov (#18)

Notables for pick 33: 28 Letourneau, 29 Badinka, 32 Shuravin, 36 Emery, 37 Parascak, 38 Jecho, 39 G Gildof, 42 Mews, 45 Brunicke

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Pronman's ranking is out. Hold onto your butts once more as this one and Bob MacK's final lists are decent noisy indicators of pro scout preference.

Tier 2 - Levshunov
Tier 6 - Solberg (#12), Iginla, Helenius, Jiricek, Eiserman, MBN, Chernyshov (#18)

Notables for pick 33: 28 Letourneau, 29 Badinka, 32 Shuravin, 36 Emery, 37 Parascak, 38 Jecho, 39 G Gildof, 42 Mews, 45 Brunicke
If Dickinson starts sliding like that on draft day I hope we offer whatever it takes to get him.

I'm starting to feel like we end up with Jiricek if we don't move from 14.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
If Dickinson starts sliding like that on draft day I hope we offer whatever it takes to get him.

I'm starting to feel like we end up with Jiricek if we don't move from 14.
With 7 D men that high and F's like Helenius, MBN, and Eiserman still on the board, I'm now fully on board with hoping for Solberg at 14. I would be ecstatic at Dickinson as a very useful piece in the rebuild as well. Who knows if Bob will say the same thing, but I'm not too surprised if Yak does end up going to eg Anaheim or someone 6-11.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
If we got lucky enough to land Lindstrom, I’d just put him on Celebrini or Smith’s wing and use him as a center in a pinch.

This is a ridiculously unlikely scenario but yeah. Really like the player.

I’ve only seen him at the WJC, where I was privately mad that he looked better than Bystedt.

Tier 2 - Levshunov

I’m intrigued if Chicago has the same tier of 18, hence the trade. I think that top-18 is probably the same for me too.

Reactions: NiWa and Jargon

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
I’ve only seen him at the WJC, where I was privately mad that he looked better than Bystedt.

I’m intrigued if Chicago has the same tier of 18, hence the trade. I think that top-18 is probably the same for me too.
:D

Same here. At some point I had Parekh outside of it, but I've come around on that, his offense is just too good.

Digesting that top 18, Yakemchuk feels a bit high. Demidov, Lindstrom, Dickson feel a bit low.
I feel better about wanting Solberg at #14 (over Jiricek, if none of the other D drop).

Positional Breakdown of those top 18 (keeping in mind that forwards might settle in different positions, e.g. Catton or MBN)
  • 4 C
  • 6 LW/RW
  • 4 LD
  • 4 RD

Pronmans next tier goes from 19-39. If we keep them, considering a few reaches, some of them will be avail with either of our seconds.
Positional breakdown (with who I like in brackets):
  • 8 C (Hage*, Boisvert, Luchanko, Beaudoin)
  • 6 LW/RW (Artamonov Surin, Greentree)
  • 2 LD (Shuravin)
  • 4 RD (Emery, Elick, Badinka)
  • 1 G
Brunicke, Mews, Pulkkinen are good Ds in Pronmans tier after that, in case the above players are all gone by #42.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
:D

Same here. At some point I had Parekh outside of it, but I've come around on that, his offense is just too good.

Digesting that top 18, Yakemchuk feels a bit high. Demidov, Lindstrom, Dickson feel a bit low.
I feel better about wanting Solberg at #14 (over Jiricek, if none of the other D drop).

Positional Breakdown of those top 18 (keeping in mind that forwards might settle in different positions, e.g. Catton or MBN)
  • 4 C
  • 6 LW/RW
  • 4 LD
  • 4 RD

Pronmans next tier goes from 19-39. If we keep them, considering a few reaches, some of them will be avail with either of our seconds.
Positional breakdown (with who I like in brackets):
  • 8 C (Hage*, Boisvert, Luchanko, Beaudoin)
  • 6 LW/RW (Artamonov Surin, Greentree)
  • 2 LD (Shuravin)
  • 4 RD (Emery, Elick, Badinka)
  • 1 G
Brunicke, Mews, Pulkkinen are good Ds in Pronmans tier after that, in case the above players are all gone by #42.
I agree with the bolded, although I don’t think any of them are absolutely crazy. I’m coming around on Solberg most likely being our pick at 14th.

I’ve seen Solberg’s rise compared to Sieder, but who he actually reminds me of is Hampus Lindholm. I remember a lot of us were thinking Lindholm would be a good pick at 17 back in 2012, before he unexpectedly got taken at 6 by Anaheim. We ended up with Hertl so no harm no fowl, but I wonder how high Solberg could realistically go?

Patty Ice

Mighty Luca
Feb 27, 2002
Not California

Tier 2 - Levshunov

Good news @Juxtaposer

You're boy Gandalf the Goalie is ranked 39 (Pronman's rankings) and is north of 6'5. You got this SNOG in the bag.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
You should feel shame! :laugh:
I feel no shame. :)

Good news @Juxtaposer

You're boy Gandalf the Goalie is ranked 39 (Pronman's rankings) and is north of 6'5. You got this SNOG in the bag.
Pronman is like the only one that like Gandalf though. I think he was like 10th just amongst Euro goalies by Central Scouting a couple months ago.

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad