Prospect Info: All-Purpose 2024 Draft Thread & Celebrini discussion (also the 14th pick and whatever else is draft related)

Who should the Sharks draft #1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
The 2025 draft looks to be center heavy (Hagens, Misa, Frondell are in the top 4) and 2026 is forward heavy as well (McKenna). I'd be thrilled with one of the centers in 2025. It's possible one- or a few- of Hensler/Threthewey/Boumedienne/Shaefer end up being #1 caliber D prospects. However, it seems like with 14 we're awfully close to a premier d prospect this year.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall to know who Grier has a first pairing grade on amongst Buium, Silayev, Dickinson, Parekh, Yakemchuk, Levshunov, and Jiricek/Stolberg/Emery/Elick/Freij. If you can go get one of the d-men you really like with some combo of 14, 33, 42, Vegas 1st, SJ 2025 2nd, Bordeleau/Guschin, you've got to consider it. It'll be interesting to see if anyone is able to trade up into the top 10.

Don't see Chicago, Anaheim, or Columbus moving down much. Utah and Montreal need premier talent, though I could see MTL moving down if BPA are d-men. I could see Ottawa, Seattle, NJ, and Buffalo moving down but not sure they'd move down to 14.

I see us adding some vet forwards and with Celebrini, Smith, Musty, Eklund, and 1-2 of Bystedt/Edstrom/Bords/Guschin/Hultanen/Graf/Lund in your top 9, how much more youth to you really need up front. D-men are freaking hard to project so maybe taking 3-4 shots is the better route? It just feels like this is such a good d class that we may be able to get our #1 or #2 d-man with Pitt's first and some extras.
Yeah, generally agree and this this is becoming the consensus... if teams are moving down from 5-9, it's not more than a few spots. Maybe we have a shot to move into NJ, BUF, PHI spots, but MIN probably stays put. We only get a shot at probably Yak with that move up (if he didn't go as a surprise earlier), so it all depends on what grade Grier and co. give the other D men you listed, plus how they see drafting D next year or acquiring them generally. I would pay good money to listen in on the draft meetings.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Yeah, generally agree and this this is becoming the consensus... if teams are moving down from 5-9, it's not more than a few spots. Maybe we have a shot to move into NJ, BUF, PHI spots, but MIN probably stays put. We only get a shot at probably Yak with that move up (if he didn't go as a surprise earlier), so it all depends on what grade Grier and co. give the other D men you listed, plus how they see drafting D next year or acquiring them generally. I would pay good money to listen in on the draft meetings.

Feel like in addition to the five top d-men, Celebrini, Demidov, Lidstrom, and at least one Helenius/Catton are likely locked into the top 9. Centers are always valued, so I expect whichever guy is ranked after Lidstrom and Celebrini is likely top 10 as well. Same with Iginla. If we could get to 14+33 for 10, guaranteeing either a top 5 d-man/top 5 forward in the draft, I feel like the ability to then maneuver for one of the top Ds becomes easier. That said, looking at what Chicago just paid (albeit with a later 2nd), not sure NJ is making that trade. If Chicago has their eyes on NJs 10th, we do have better picks (14, 33, 43> 18, 34, 50) to offer.

Real shame we didn't almost have NJs 1st...f***ing Carolina...

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
some random goaltender named Gidlof

Gidlof?

Yes. That is what they used to call me.

Gidlof the Goalie.

1000004003.gif

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Legendary: Celebrini, Demidov
Elite: Levshunov, Silayev?
Rare: Lindstrom, Buium, Dickinson, Eiserman, Sennecke, MBN, Iginla, Parekh,

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I recently learned that it was top 10 protected so it would be their '25 1st. We would be down a pick this year in that case.

Really? I've been a bit bummed out about that for a while. Seems being bummed is unnecessary as I do expect them to be quite a bit better this year, and having said ammo this year likely isn't a bad thing.

Reactions: Sandisfan

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I know we should be targeting D with #14, or moving up to get a D, but I still like the idea of trading up for Lindstrom. I have this suspicion that the next "wave" of great NHLers are going to be physical beasts like Lindstrom - tall, rangey, agile, strong but not heavy, etc.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
I know we should be targeting D with #14, or moving up to get a D, but I still like the idea of trading up for Lindstrom. I have this suspicion that the next "wave" of great NHLers are going to be physical beasts like Lindstrom - tall, rangey, agile, strong but not heavy, etc.
If Lindstrom falls to a point where trade up is reasonable (past 6-7), it means that word is his injury is a serious concern. If that is the case, you can't be stacking multiple assets into getting him, and putting too much risk on one asset that has question marks.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Yeah, I feel the same way. Lindstrom is exactly the type of player you want in the playoffs. For the Sharks, there wouldn’t be the pressure to stay at center so it would be even better.

If Lindstrom’s injury doesn’t become a recurring problem, someone is going to get their own home-grown Tkachuk.

Reactions: Sandisfan

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
If Lindstrom falls to a point where trade up is reasonable (past 6-7), it means that word is his injury is a serious concern. If that is the case, you can't be stacking multiple assets into getting him, and putting too much risk on one asset that has question marks.
I dont think it means that at all. It could mean that, but doesnt guarantee anything. You could have Celebrini, Demidov, and the top 5 D all go in the first 7. Or imagine if Calgary moves up to select Tij Iginla.

Plenty of reasons why a prospect way fall that are unrelated to injury.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I dont think it means that at all. It could mean that, but doesnt guarantee anything. You could have Celebrini, Demidov, and the top 5 D all go in the first 7. Or imagine if Calgary moves up to select Tij Iginla.

Plenty of reasons why a prospect way fall that are unrelated to injury.
But his injury might be a legitimate concern.

That being said, a lot of guys over the years have dropped for reasons that were blown out of proportion and ended up being total nothingburgers.

I don't envy any manager having to make these decisions, but it's sooooo much easier for Grier with 1 and 14 instead of, say, 3 and 14. As appealing as Lindstrom is, I don't think he's a guy worth trading up for--considering how hard trading up tends to be in the top half of the first round historically--but I do think he could end up turning out very well, so I'm certainly hoping he ends up in the East and far away from the Sharks since it seems like an awkward fit in terms of picking him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $800.00