All-Encompassing Womens Soccer Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I was watching most games live early when there were 3 or 4 games a day, but I can't schedule my life around one game a day that my team isn't in. I've just been waking up and dealing with the terrible Fox Sports app to watch the QF/Semis on demand (NO Fox, I don't want to switch to WWE wrestling every 30 minutes into watching a 3 hour replay. Stop trying to switch!)

Womens football used to be track athletes on a pitch chasing a ball around. You had some decent players but the touches all around were brutal and made for an awful viewing experience.

Now you can tell these women have been perfecting their craft on the pitch at the youth level and developing into world class footballers. The play is miles better these days. Less prayer balls (long balls) and more build up and focus on meaningful posesssion.

I know clubs have been investing in womens football in Europe but it's insane to see it paying off so fast. Really worry that the US and Canada may get totally left behind. Canada is probably f***ed already...

It's been fantastic to see how far the game has grown and become a better overall product. Mild bummer that it's going to come at the expense of the previously "automatic" semifinal berth and 50/50 being champs for the US; and putting both USA and Canada into a pool of 25 teams who are Quarterfinalist contenders.

But it's visibly better football. The reason it's "So far, so fast" is because the rest of the world HAD development systems for the sport, and they just "included females into it" instead of not developing them and picking the players who developed themselves the best.

I wish the US would jump on board the "Club" mentality where it's "We have the stadium and infrastructure, just play second set of games there with WOMEN'S MLS (and WOMEN'S NHL" etc), and keep growing the developmental system.

Good for the overall sport. Compared to hockey and basketball where USA/Canada are so far ahead of other nations in hockey and the USA is so far ahead in basketball.
Surprised at the speed they have developed, but in reality, it's the sport that most nations are familiar with compared to hockey and even basketball. Probably a WWC tournament ahead of where we thought they would be, but that's great for the sport to have deeper competition.

I'm a little intrigued (and mostly ignorant) about the club culture in Europe and how that can be applied to basketball.

I've been to Europe with college teams playing semi-pro club teams. As a CONCEPT it should/could be "easy." Like, European pro sport started with athletics clubs, where you had a gym and a field for people to play various sports and they decided to put together their best athletes at the club and go play other gym/clubs in various sports. I know that exists in France and Italy, and the former Yugoslavian nations... I've been to Europe with a basketball team, playing exhibitions in those clubs multiple times. I've got a friend who I met because he was a pro volleyball player in Croatia, met an American woman on one of the club's other teams; she retired and became a college basketball coach and he got hired as an assistant volleyball coach at the same school.

I just don't think these clubs really have a developmental system for youth where they're "growing and selling talent" for money like soccer teams do.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
If the US was still involved I'd have no problem staying up for those games, but I can't be asked to get up for a game at 2 or 3 in the morning where I have absolutely no rooting interest. I'll watch highlights or catch a replay of the game later. If the games were on at a normal hour I'd watch most if not all of them.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Arnold thought Carpenter was going to play it. Carpenter was trying to shield it for Arnold since she came out and looked like was going to make a play on the ball.

In those situations it's on the keeper to be more decisive. If you're going to come out, come out. If she stays back, Carpenter will likely make an immediate play on it.

Reactions: kihei

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
England and Spain should be a good one. And both semis were resolved in regulation too.

Australia has nothing to be ashamed of. 3rd place game against Sweden coming up.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
What a turn. From the the punch falling towards an open Kerr to THAT, it went from "this could be level" to "Game over" in seconds.
Yep, that's soccer for ya.

I also think Arnold has been poor this game, I called that shot going in before Russo even took it because she was so deep and too close to the near post.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Just made my bracket. England over Spain in the final. Even with the injuries, I'm high on the Lionesses.

Hot take is that, based on my bracket, Spain upset USA in the QFs.

My dear Canada goes out to England in R16, unfortunately.
Pre-tournament bracket got 2/2 finalists, 3/4 semi finalists, 6/8 quarter finalists, 10/16 R16.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
It's a shame Australia lost, would have been special to see them in the final at home.

Kerr's goal was f***ing absurd, what a player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad