All-Encompassing Womens Soccer Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Sweden often reach semifinals in WC, Euro and Olympics and yet nobody ever have Sweden as top 10. I wonder when Sweden will get the respect we deserve.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Both of those games were amazing. The Women's game is finding its stride in an exciting way.

Womens football used to be track athletes on a pitch chasing a ball around. You had some decent players but the touches all around were brutal and made for an awful viewing experience.

Now you can tell these women have been perfecting their craft on the pitch at the youth level and developing into world class footballers. The play is miles better these days. Less prayer balls (long balls) and more build up and focus on meaningful posesssion.

I know clubs have been investing in womens football in Europe but it's insane to see it paying off so fast. Really worry that the US and Canada may get totally left behind. Canada is probably f***ed already...

Reactions: robertmac43

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
Australia shocked France in the first quarterfinal earlier today.

Game went to pk's, Aussies won 7-6.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Australia shocked France in the first quarterfinal earlier today.

Game went to pk's, Aussies won 7-6.

I woke up this morning, turned it on in the 110th minute. That was an emotional shootout, I felt really happy for Australia and I didn't care who won. That was nice to watch

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Spain vs. Sweden Tuesday morning

Australia vs. England Wednesday morning.

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Close battle of a game. Hemp's equaliser just before halftime was a big moment. Mistake from the Colombian GK. Earps could have done better with Santos' cross/shot too. Nice finish by Russo to win it.

member 305909

Did anybody who's not French cheer for France in that match?

Perhaps but most certainly not me.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Womens football used to be track athletes on a pitch chasing a ball around. You had some decent players but the touches all around were brutal and made for an awful viewing experience.

Now you can tell these women have been perfecting their craft on the pitch at the youth level and developing into world class footballers. The play is miles better these days. Less prayer balls (long balls) and more build up and focus on meaningful posesssion.

I know clubs have been investing in womens football in Europe but it's insane to see it paying off so fast. Really worry that the US and Canada may get totally left behind. Canada is probably f***ed already...
Good for the overall sport. Compared to hockey and basketball where USA/Canada are so far ahead of other nations in hockey and the USA is so far ahead in basketball.
Surprised at the speed they have developed, but in reality, it's the sport that most nations are familiar with compared to hockey and even basketball. Probably a WWC tournament ahead of where we thought they would be, but that's great for the sport to have deeper competition.

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
The games are good now because the dreck is gone and the good teams are playing each other. This should be a 16 team tournament, 32 teams is outrageous.

Reactions: BillPrep

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Paralluelo is like Spain's secret sauce. She changes the dynamic of the game when she comes in

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
It's 5 am.

Goal is ruled good. Gonna be tough for Sweden now.
Didn’t stop people before.

Anyways that was a very good shot. Sweden has been playing well but not shooting more has really bit them in the rear.

Holy Shit Blomqvist with an amazing strike. Amazing patience to volley that. Ice water through her veins.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Insanity that Spain just scored that. Great shot. Terrible coverage to leave the top of the box like that uncontested like that.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I am seeing some Barca Reffing here with the amount of stuff Spain is getting away with here lol

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That has to be a major gut punch, not only to give up the winner so soon after scoring, but also to have knocked off the US again only to not even make the final.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
More because they don't like the USWNT fanbase, given the lack of understanding that they have of the sport.

The "complaints" about the turf in 2015 when the problems were with the method of play. Especially since they didn't want to admit that the USWNT played better once Wambach as placed on the bench after their R16 win.

Dumping on the USMNT after they got knocked out of the 2018 WCQ by T&T. Watching them come with the gloating attitude about the women winning World Cups. Acting with the attitude that "The men should be able to beat T&T 10-0 because the women can do that" and showing how little they know of the sport itself.

Behavior of not only the players in 2019, but also fans whining about how they can't get an Uber in a French city as conveniently as they do in the US. Add onto the whole cluelessness they showed in the Olympics (finding excuses for the team losing) or during the whole Pay "scandal" (don't think that legal CBA's need to be followed).

This is the only national team I know whose fans and supporters engage in this type of behavior, and how the players both feed it and get fed off it. In reality, the soccer ladies wouldn't be able to hold the gym bags of their basketball counterparts (who are the actual definition of dominance).

I don't think you're wrong about the perception of the American entitled expectations in women's soccer, or the ignorance of world soccer that exists among too many fans of the US National Teams...

... but the people INSIDE the US who are dumping on the USWNT do not have a freaking clue about ANY of the things you mention (and are even more likely to be prone to American Exceptionalism BS than the actual soccer fans).

Of course there's soccer people dumping on the coaching staff for not putting us in the position to win; but we're more talking about the complete non-sense of right-wing fans/politicians/media saying they lost because they don't sing the anthem

That has nothing to do with actual team/expectations. It's a bunch of clowns being giddy that their own country lost because they care more about stupid political party affiliations than sport because they make their living telling white middle America to be afraid of non-white, non-straight people and demonize women who have/want autonomy over their bodies and careers instead of staying at home raising babies.

It's all right-wing branding and nothing of substance. But hey, propaganda works and provides them with money and power.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad