All-Encompassing Womens Soccer Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
By virtue of finishing 2nd the US could possibly play Sweden in the R16 who has always been a thorn in their side

I am legit scared

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If the US doesn’t have Rose Lavelle, I think they are f***ed

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008

The U.S. won only one game in group play for the first time in tournament history, and scored just four goals over the three games.

"It's not the result we wanted, but we move forward," forward Alex Morgan said.

The Americans, the most successful team ever at the World Cup with four titles, have never been eliminated in the group stage at the World Cup.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The USWNT is in a similar boat as the Canadians (although to a lesser extent). Other nations are catching up from both a talent perspective and a coaching one. The elites of Europe can push the US and the second/third tier nations will have enough to get the odd result, like Portugal today.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
USA is poorly coached but the players do not seem hungry at all. This could be a chicken/egg thing, but very few of their players have realized they are in danger

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
The USWNT is in a similar boat as the Canadians (although to a lesser extent). Other nations are catching up from both a talent perspective and a coaching one. The elites of Europe can push the US and the second/third tier nations will have enough to get the odd result, like Portugal today.
I actually think that the talent is still there. It's just a lack of coaching. We look listless, which isn't a talent problem. Part of me does wonder what would have happened if Sauerbrunn was healthy and Ertz was able to play as a 6, but even still.

Reactions: Tryamw

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I actually think that the talent is still there. It's just a lack of coaching. We look listless, which isn't a talent problem. Part of me does wonder what would have happened if Sauerbrunn was healthy and Ertz was able to play as a 6, but even still.
Oh for sure, you guys still have the talent to best any nation in the world. The gap is just smaller than it's ever been.

Canada on the other hand, everyone has caught up and we are now falling further behind.

Last edited:
Reactions: GabeTravels

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
USA is poorly coached but the players do not seem hungry at all. This could be a chicken/egg thing, but very few of their players have realized they are in danger

This does not appear to be a team who is proud of the crest and working towards a common goal. Part of that is some poison pills on the team and part of it is the inevitable transition to a generation of players who lacks a modicum of patriotism and is more concerned about using their platform to be divisive.

Not really a surprise since both teams are products of the NCAA system. In fact, Canada has even more players who went the NCAA route than the U.S. which I find interesting.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Not really a surprise since both teams are products of the NCAA system. In fact, Canada has even more players who went the NCAA route than the U.S. which I find interesting.
There is no pro league for our players to go right into and a lack of footballing infrastructure in general. Our team basically needs to go NCAA then look to get a pro contract.

The goal is a full women's pro league will come into existence in 2025 which would be great for development. The CPL has done wonders on the mens side of the game.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
He's partially right. Lloyd shouldn't be questioning the drive of the players on the roster. She should be questioning his tactics and team preparation, and his general coaching.
It is kind of an odd look that you have such a poor group stage showing and in the post-game you see a lot of smiles, joking, dancing, etc... going on. Not expecting anyone to kick kittens or anything, but for a team with such expectations and to be a post away from elimination, you just maybe expect to see less...casualness and contentment?

Players and teams will handle adversity in different ways so this may just be their way, but I can definitely see why someone like Lloyd would be sensitive to that. I thought she was fine to go there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad