All-Encompassing Womens Soccer Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Japan and Jamaica the only teams that have yet to concede a goal.

Jamaica's only scored one, as well, and it was enough to send them through to the knockouts.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Feel good kind of day with that SA win and the Panama screamer for their first ever goal.

Looking forward to a stress free knock out round with no Canada.... lol

Japan and Jamaica the only teams that have yet to concede a goal.

Jamaica's only scored one, as well, and it was enough to send them through to the knockouts.
I'm getting a little nervous for the Canada v Jamaica Olympic qualifier games coming up in September.

It's not going to be easy.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
How is it fair that Sweden gets USA this early? We won all of our games and yet we have to play against the best NT in the world already at this stage.

Sweden and Japan the only teams with a 100% record after the group stage. If im correct

Hey man we don't want to play you as much you don't want to play us :laugh: But this is probably the most vulnerable we've ever been.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
How is it fair that Sweden gets USA this early? We won all of our games and yet we have to play against the best NT in the world already at this stage.

Sweden and Japan the only teams with a 100% record after the group stage. If im correct
They've been dreadful all tournament and will also be without Lavelle. They might have a slight fire lit under their asses after this last performance, but it's still probably the best time to be playing them, rather than 3-4 games down the road (which would have meant they found their stride/confidence).

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
People want compelling and truthful analysis without discretion, they can’t complain when someone gives it to them.

Carli is also from South Jersey which makes her from Philly, so her natural instincts are always going to be annoyed, unimpressed, and unwilling to take people’s shit.

The team is not used to underachieving nor getting punched in the mouth in the group stages. They won’t have their best player against a team that’s given them the most problems, so we’ll see how they react to being challenged with adversity at this stage. Some of these national programs are catching up due in part because of what they’ve done, but the expectations are still the same and when they’re not being met. They’ve finished worse than third in either the World Cup or Olympics just once. It’s incumbent on those who know best, and being a Philly girl, Carli ain’t going to bullshit anyone about it.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
People want compelling and truthful analysis without discretion, they can’t complain when someone gives it to them.

Carli is also from South Jersey which makes her from Philly, so her natural instincts are always going to be annoyed, unimpressed, and unwilling to take people’s shit.

The team is not used to underachieving nor getting punched in the mouth in the group stages. They won’t have their best player against a team that’s given them the most problems, so we’ll see how they react to being challenged with adversity at this stage. Some of these national programs are catching up due in part because of what they’ve done, but the expectations are still the same and when they’re not being met. They’ve finished worse than third in either the World Cup or Olympics just once. It’s incumbent on those who know best, and being a Philly girl, Carli ain’t going to bullshit anyone about it.

If all she said was that it was unimpressive, lackluster, embarrassing, any other way you want to describe their performance then I don't have a problem with it because it was all of that and more. What I had a problem with was saying they lacked passion and don't care about winning as much. I thought that was bullshit using her platform to shit on her former teammates the same way she did after she retired.

And I get that its her personality, what we saw and heard was 100% Carli Lloyd and I think this team does need some brutal honesty at this point. But questioning their passion and their want to win I thought was unfair.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If all she said was that it was unimpressive, lackluster, embarrassing, any other way you want to describe their performance then I don't have a problem with it because it was all of that and more. What I had a problem with was saying they lacked passion and don't care about winning as much. I thought that was bullshit using her platform to shit on her former teammates the same way she did after she retired.

And I get that its her personality, what we saw and heard was 100% Carli Lloyd and I think this team does need some brutal honesty at this point. But questioning their passion and their want to win I thought was unfair.

Their reaction will tell us how fair it was, but it can’t be both brutally honest and unfair to state.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
From the outside it's a team that looked like they were playing at 75% speed in a 0-0 game with elimination on the line. I'm sure they WERE trying, but I can see why that type of criticism is being leveled--wrong messenger doesn't completely negate the message. I thought it was a hilarious juxtaposition with O'Reilly's commentary of basically "they suck but they don't need this type of criticism and need all our support right now." Kind of shows you who's probably on the ins and outs with this squad.

Effort/drive critiques are generally pretty lazy. I agree. Bad coaching blames are also generally lazy. Yes, this one sucks...really truly awful. Still they're better than what they're showing and executing, shit coaching or no. Keep waiting for the switch to flip...maybe the breaker has been long dead and we just didn't know it.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Effort/drive critiques are generally pretty lazy. I agree. Bad coaching blames are also generally lazy. Yes, this one sucks...really truly awful. Still they're better than what they're showing and executing, shit coaching or no. Keep waiting for the switch to flip...maybe the breaker has been long dead and we just didn't know it.
In order to flip the switch you have to know where the switch is. I don’t think this team does.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Marocco lead Columbia 1-0. As it stands, those two would go through.

Popp-star again, 2-1. Looks offside though. She looked to have gotten injured too. Yup, offside.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Am I seeing that right, 16+ mins of injury time for the Germans? :laugh:

EDIT: Still wasn't enough, game over.

Nice to see Morocco through for both the men's and women's WC! :handclap:

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
South Korea had a poor opening game but fought hard the rest of the way.

If they hadn't lost to Morocco Game 2...that game was 1-0 Morocco. Tough one.

Leveled with Germany, started off strong then the attack tapered off after the first 10 minutes. At the end of the day the takeaway is that this was a damn tough group for them.

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
While SK didn't win they did deprive Germany of a chance to advance today. This group was absolutely wild.

Doing the math even if they had won they wouldn't have won by enough to advance based on GD so good for them for tying. Looking forward to seeing how Casey Phair and others do next cycle

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008

AUCKLAND, New Zealand -- United States women's national team captain Lindsey Horan pushed back against negative comments from retired former teammate and pundit Carli Lloyd, saying such criticism of the team's mentality "hurts" and is "frustrating" but it's just "noise."

Lloyd stirred controversy by criticizing her former team after a 0-0 draw against Portugal to close the Women's World Cup group stage. Lloyd retired from the team in 2021 and has played with most of this current USWNT roster and for coach Vlatko Andonovski.

Wow. First time German women ever lost in the group stage. They and the German men are probably top 5 all time in WC winning%.
They didn't lose today

Looking back that 2-1 loss to Colombia gave them no margin for error

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad