Speculation: All-encompassing Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Seriously doubt Ottawa would make that trade. Lafreniere is a good player but he's nowhere near generational to give up #3 and #5. That's how bad teams remain bad. Montreal may be dumb enough to try to move up but that's a big jump to make. Better money on them losing the series and seeing if they win the lottery with their own pick.

BTW - What happens with draft if they can't finish the season? To me, there is a point in time where say screw it and just start with a new season.

The thing with Ottawa is they have a very solid group to build around in terms of prospects. #3 and #5 add a wrinkle of "unknown" where as # 1 is pretty much a sure fire hit.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
More for the sake of conversation than anything much else - who would people want if we do miss out and find ourselves picking at 15. Do people want Askarov if he slides that far? Any player we're particularly hoping drops from the end of the 10th?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
More for the sake of conversation than anything much else - who would people want if we do miss out and find ourselves picking at 15. Do people want Askarov if he slides that far? Any player we're particularly hoping drops from the end of the 10th?

I'd hope that Schneider falls to 15.

Big strong defender who has some nasty sprinkled on top. Will never be mistaken for a new age defenseman, he does make smart decisions as an attacker on both the power play and even strength. This big man is good in his pivots, an excellent puck mover, and a crisp passer in transition. He has no qualms about jumping into the play, but he makes the most impact as a devasting checker and smart defensive zone player who has an active stick that disrupts the passing lanes. Is developing some offensive upside which might dispel the opinion that he is a big mobile stya at home defender and just that. Schnieder’s was a stay home defender who was asked to carry a bigger load offensively and he has stepped up in his offensive game with aggressive carries on odd man breaks and use of his big shot. He still lands his big hits, and is noticeable in his quickness in defensive zone retrivals by way of simple transition plays out.

This seems like a really good complement for POJ or Pettersson on the 2nd pair in the future, which I think will be needed once Letang retires. This scouting report reminds me a little bit of Trouba.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Poking around the ratings would suggest Schneider's a bit of a reach at 15 rather than a faller, no?

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
i dont want to do this again...last year i had about 7-8 guys lined up knowing one or more would fall to us...only to see them all go before we picked......so i'm liking guhle ....i've seen him rated all over the place. so i have some questions....it all depends on who's left ?????

CallArnoldSlick

Party Fowl
May 21, 2010
What are people's thoughts on relinquishing #15 to the Wild vs. giving them an unprotected 2021 pick that could be a lottery pick?

My initial reaction says pick 15th but if the Pens get swept by the Isles one year the lose to a Habs team that wasn't really even in the playoff race, my optimism for 2020-21 is going to be kind of low.

I also just think I have a phobia for being in a position like the Sharks this year.

15 is pretty high though....

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
What are people's thoughts on relinquishing #15 to the Wild vs. giving them an unprotected 2021 pick that could be a lottery pick?

My initial reaction says pick 15th but if the Pens get swept by the Isles one year the lose to a Habs team that wasn't really even in the playoff race, my optimism for 2020-21 is going to be kind of low.

I also just think I have a phobia for being in a position like the Sharks this year.

We should take the 15 regardless tbh.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

take the 15th. this is a deep draft and 15 this year might be better than 6-7 next year. imo

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I guess going out in the play-in round should prompt some self-examination should it happen but at the same time, a team that's making the play-offs very routinely - we'd have made it if the season had gone on this time round - probably shouldn't be making plans around missing the play-offs. Sure, falls can come very fast in this league, but it'd be a really dramatic one. Think this team has to keep playing the odds and assume they'll be back again.

More likely they'd trade this year's 1st again if we'd miss. But that's not as fun a discussion :P

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
take the 15th. this is a deep draft and 15 this year might be better than 6-7 next year. imo

The only reason you do NOT send the 2021 1st, given how deep the 2020 draft is, would be IF you think you'll have a top 5-7 pick in 2021. No reason for the Pens to assume that. Yeah, as you and @pixiesfanyo said, if you lose the play in round, you keep the 2020 pick.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I'd seriously consider taking 3 and 5 but ultimately I don't think I would. I suspect that 3 and 5 is probably going to win long term -
after some research i think i would do that trade even though it breaks the golden rule for tradeing. (the team that gets the be st player wins the trade) any player could bust so with two your a lot safer.:laugh:
edit; stutzle and drysdale would be sooooo sweet.:nod:

Last edited:

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
The only reason you do NOT send the 2021 1st, given how deep the 2020 draft is, would be IF you think you'll have a top 5-7 pick in 2021. No reason for the Pens to assume that. Yeah, as you and @pixiesfanyo said, if you lose the play in round, you keep the 2020 pick.

You draft Lafrenière and make merchandise money with some weird dude in the Quebec City Metropolitan area.

Reactions: KIRK

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I despise the lottery. The worst team should get the best player. The Ironic part for the Pens is, though we were the worst team from 2004, we still won the lottery with Sid in 2005. And though we were the worst team in 2004 and lost the lottery, it probably worked out better for us because we ended up with Geno.
i agree and one of the good things that would happen if we got the 1oa is that would be the end of the lottery. imo

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
C'est pour ça que je le paie! Worked for Fleury and Crosby so...

Fleury was a trade. Thank Craig Patrick-- and the fact that Florida, Carolina, and any other team with a high pick and trade capital didn't want a goalie-- for that one. :D

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Dude, I played the long con. Asked not to win the lottery in 03 and 04 so we can get 3 balls in 05!

Knew we could get Fleury anyway ;)

tenor.gif

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

You'd have thought keeping it made sense, but I saw this in today's Rossi article...

“The lottery will determine whether we keep the pick,” Rutherford said in a text message Monday night.

So maybe they would send it? Seems pretty mental.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
You'd have thought keeping it made sense, but I saw this in today's Rossi article...

“The lottery will determine whether we keep the pick,” Rutherford said in a text message Monday night.

So maybe they would send it? Seems pretty mental.

Could be wrong but can’t we wait to decide at the draft? I think they might just do it on the spot depending on who’s available.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Could be wrong but can’t we wait to decide at the draft? I think they might just do it on the spot depending on who’s available.

Maybe. Probably. Ottawa only announced late in the day they'd hold 4OA and send the unprotected 1st to Colorado iirc. But even so, it seems a surprising view to me. I'm not in love with this draft but it's good as any judging from consensus, next year's promises to be a very strange one regardless of talent (which does seem to have some questions), 15OA is probably better than whatever we get in a year, and a prospect now always beats a prospect in a year. I know there are people who talk of a tier drop off after 12, and maybe that'd influence Rutherford, but I still can't imagine the next tier being worse than next year's likely pick.

Plus saying the lottery determines it and that they don't have to pick until the lottery doesn't sound like that, right?

Maybe he wants next year's 1st free and doesn't trust prospect values. I dunno. Seems weird.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

No, apparently with the league now considered the qualifying round the playoffs, the Pens have to send the pick, although apparently there's a 'if you win the lottery' arbitrary exception.

Bless this league . . . they really do have a way of making a complicated mess out of even the simplest things.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
No, apparently with the league now considered the qualifying round the playoffs, the Pens have to send the pick, although apparently there's a 'if you win the lottery' arbitrary exception.

Bless this league . . . they really do have a way of making a complicated mess out of even the simplest things.

I'm pretty certain the Canucks got it confirmed that this isn't the case and if they lose the play-ins they ain't giving Tampa a 1st, even if they win the lottery? Or has there been another ruling?

Reactions: Randy Butternubs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad