AEW All Elite Wrestling #9: Mox Aggressor Brings the Blood

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Not a bad segment on the show. Really sets the for the next few months.
It's par for the course with them. Looking at each show as one night, they're almost always very entertaining. I still think their live product is far better than WWE. But just watching and grading them on 1 night at a time, they're fun shows.

The trouble they are having now, and have been having for close to 2 years, is that there doesn't seem to be any direction. It's just great matches for the sake of having great matches. I like the Mariah May/Toni Storm thing they have going. They took the time to build it up and it has made the split much more impactful. Outside of that do they really have any good builds going?

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
But yeah thinking about it, it probably should be the other way around.
Callback to a 1950s film

"The film stars Bette Davis as Margo Channing, a highly regarded but aging Broadway star, and Anne Baxter as Eve Harrington, an ambitious young fan who maneuvers herself into Channing's life, ultimately threatening Channing's career and her personal relationships. "

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Callback to a 1950s film

"The film stars Bette Davis as Margo Channing, a highly regarded but aging Broadway star, and Anne Baxter as Eve Harrington, an ambitious young fan who maneuvers herself into Channing's life, ultimately threatening Channing's career and her personal relationships. "

Looking to score big in the 75 and over Key demos, but do those people stay up late enough to see it?

• Haha
Reactions: Jussi and Coffey

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea

I just figured it was Jericho enjoying working with younger guys

• Haha
Reactions: Coffey

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
It's par for the course with them. Looking at each show as one night, they're almost always very entertaining. I still think their live product is far better than WWE. But just watching and grading them on 1 night at a time, they're fun shows.

The trouble they are having now, and have been having for close to 2 years, is that there doesn't seem to be any direction. It's just great matches for the sake of having great matches. I like the Mariah May/Toni Storm thing they have going. They took the time to build it up and it has made the split much more impactful. Outside of that do they really have any good builds going?

Hangman’s arc is a rich, multi-layered story as usual.

Willow/Statlander continues and should end in a bloody blowoff.

Mercedes and Britt will make their feud compelling on the mic. Mercedes has really found a groove cutting heel promos.

I don’t think the fans were ready for heel MJF, but he’s too good not make it work.

And so on. The 4-way was seemingly random, but might be the start of an extended PAC/Ospreay program.

I don’t see much of a difference in creative then and now, save for the Forbidden Door season randomness.

The difference that is noticeable is on the other channel. That’s my theory a least. Only so many disposable dollars available to spend and only so many hours in a week for someone to watch wrestling.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
Hangman’s arc is a rich, multi-layered story as usual.

Willow/Statlander continues and should end in a bloody blowoff.

Mercedes and Britt will make their feud compelling on the mic. Mercedes has really found a groove cutting heel promos.

I don’t think the fans were ready for heel MJF, but he’s too good not make it work.

And so on. The 4-way was seemingly random, but might be the start of an extended PAC/Ospreay program.

I don’t see much of a difference in creative then and now, save for the Forbidden Door season randomness.

The difference that is noticeable is on the other channel. That’s my theory a least. Only so many disposable dollars available to spend and only so many hours in a week for someone to watch wrestling.

About the random 4 way. I just figured it was a history kind of thing. In the gauntlet match, pac had his stare down with Ospreay IIRC, Ishii from Japan. Claudio and PAC having their fued / hatered for each other. And Fletcher from the DCF, and Will being allowed to “leave”. I’m guessing they wanted us to think of seeds being planted there.

Edit; I personally have watched WWE once in the last 2-3 years. I don’t find it entertaining from my perspective, I also don’t smash everyone who has different options. I don’t understand why people can’t just watch the product that they want and not judge or shit on people for it. (I don’t mean this post, I meant a lot of other posts)

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

I mean that is all pretty subjective as to what your definition of good is…but yes they obviously have more storylines going on right now then just May/Storm. I mean Hangman’s entire character right now is built around something Swerve did to him like a year ago.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's
MJF's heel turn, Hangman's arc, Willow/Stat split, Britt/Mercedes battle of egos, Christian Cage screwing over anyone who even looks at the trios titles funny, Bryan Danielson's voyage to Wembley for one last shot of winning singles gold with a very injured neck from the tiger driver 91 delivered by Ospreay at Dynasty, Ospreay leaving the Don Callis Family, Pac losing constant big matches before he gets another one, make or break (possibly in the biggest show of the year in his country), Orange Cassidy losing all of his friends, losing his cool and developing an edge, Swerve being captain of team AEW in B&G (he is NOT cool with guys like Darby and the Acclaimed who likely fill out the team) as Hangman and Okada clearly had tensions last night, Jeff Jarret's face turn due to making sure the tournament in honor of his late friend was fair, Roddy keeps inserting himself into any Kyle business as a friend or foe despite Kyle wanting to go at it alone, Joe/Shibata/Hook with Joe mentoring Hook and teaching him his ways, The Learning Tree developing a psychopathic edge to them, Don Callis trying to recruit Rush.

Not all of these are gonna be for everyone so call whatever you want good, but AEW has a lot of stuff bubbling right now. And they have for some time.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Ric Flair no longer with AEW.

from wrestlinginc.com:

intro-1720818208.webp

In October 2023, AEW President Tony Khan announced that he had a special surprise for Sting ahead of The Icon's pending retirement at Revolution 2024, with the surprise turning out to be none other than "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair. Due to their extended history, Flair promised to be by Sting's side on his road to retirement, which he did, as he appeared on a number of episodes of AEW television, and was present for Sting's final match at Revolution. However, after taking a superkick from The Young Bucks, he hasn't been seen since, leading some to wonder where Flair is.

According to Fightful Select, it seems that Flair's days in AEW are over. Per Sean Ross Sapp, Flair hasn't been seen at any AEW events since Revolution and isn't being factored into any creative plans for the future, having not been brought up in conversation for some time. When it was announced that Flair had signed a multi-year deal with AEW, part of the deal was for his energy drink, Woooo! Energy, to be featured heavily on AEW programming as the official energy drink of the company. With Flair seemingly no longer in AEW, that partnership has effectively finished, with the deal basically paying for the appearances Flair made there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More from Meltzer:

Those who have pointed out no “Wooooo! Energy” graphics on the screen of late, that is a smart observation and unless something changes, it doesn’t look like you’ll be seeing that going forward. There was no explanation given, but unless something changes, it does look like that deal is over with.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Mercedes vs. Nyla Rose on Dynamite

Willow is CMLL women’s champion

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
You always know someone is going to have a match the following Dynamite or Collision when they appear on AEW programming for the first time in recent weeks and squash someone. Then just like magic they have a match on whichever program airs next. After Nyla won I immediately wondered who she was going to wrestle Wednesday then sure enough they air her promo. I suppose that's part of the problem with so much talent under contract however it is a noticeable and predictable format under which Tony Khan operates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad