Boston Bruins All Bruins Free Agent/Trade Rumours and Proposals III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Lucic is the last thing the Bruins need right now, people wanting him back are remembering the young tough power forward he was for a few years, he ain't that anymore, he is not even that great a fighter anymore, you would just be adding a super slow player that does nothing well. Backes is slow also, but right now 10 times the player Lucic is. Milan was lucky it was Chia running things in Edmonton, because he will never see that kind of money ever again after his current deal is up.
I don't even think it's going much out on a limb to predict he'll be bought out before this contract ends.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
Lucic is the last thing the Bruins need right now, people wanting him back are remembering the young tough power forward he was for a few years, he ain't that anymore, he is not even that great a fighter anymore, you would just be adding a super slow player that does nothing well. Backes is slow also, but right now 10 times the player Lucic is. Milan was lucky it was Chia running things in Edmonton, because he will never see that kind of money ever again after his current deal is up.

I get both sides of the arguments surrounding a return of Looch. Yes he seems to be slower, lazier, and less productive for a 6 million price tag and 5 more years.
Do the Bruins need some toughness upfront to protect their youngsters and skilled guys like Bergy, Marshy, and Pasta.........yes they do, they were pushed around by TB for god's sake.
I think Looch is going to have a rebound year in Edmonton. I don't think he's getting traded. So all in all, a moot point. But if I had a choice to get him 50% retained, there's no question I would.

Reactions: Strafer

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I'm curious to see if Lucic is going to do what he said he would, which was get leaner this off season. He was 240+ during the regular season last year, he said he wanted to get back to 220 where he was most of his time in Boston.

Also, Lucic is still a very good fighter ^

Did anyone say he wasn't a good fighter? Seems like the discussion is that fighting shouldn't be one of the key skills the player has because it really doesn't affect that actual game. Speed, physicality, playmaking, scoring, defensive play.... These seem like more important attributes than being able to throw hands. We all know Lucic can throw with the best of them. We witnessed it.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

huh?

Milan Lucic vs Greg Pateryn Nov 18, 2017

Cody McLeod vs. Milan Lucic on 01/20/2017

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Did anyone say he wasn't a good fighter? Seems like the discussion is that fighting shouldn't be one of the key skills the player has because it really doesn't affect that actual game. Speed, physicality, playmaking, scoring, defensive play.... These seem like more important attributes than being able to throw hands. We all know Lucic can throw with the best of them. We witnessed it.
Yes. Someone said he wasn't that great of a fighter anymore and i simply said it was not the case.

Reactions: Dreghorn2

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He can't.......part of his contract

Any player can be bought out if they aren't injured.

Now it's structured in such a way that it's not terribly beneficial cap wise to buy him out, especially in years 5/6/7 of the deal. But it can be bought out if they so choose.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'm not. I'm just saying he's still a very good fighter, among the best in the league.

Lucic is and likely always will be one of the scariest fighters in the league.

The problem I see with him and fighting is the number of guys who will take him on is diminishing by the year.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I'm not. I'm just saying he's still a very good fighter, among the best in the league.

I know you're not, but it was brought up as a point to re-acquire him. He is one of the best of the best in the league, and there's a good chance he will be until he retires. We got to witness his greatness there. It was just better when he was doing it WHILE scoring 30 goals.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I know you're not, but it was brought up as a point to re-acquire him. He is one of the best of the best in the league, and there's a good chance he will be until he retires. We got to witness his greatness there. It was just better when he was doing it WHILE scoring 30 goals.

i brought it up as one of the reasons, not the main one.

the biggest part of my point was the retention.

so getting 35-40 points, 250 hits, and one of the best fighters on the 3rd line for $3 mill a year is a worthwhile move.

without the 50% retention, it isnt worth it

Reactions: Fenian24

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
i brought it up as one of the reasons, not the main one.

the biggest part of my point was the retention.

so getting 35-40 points, 250 hits, and one of the best fighters on the 3rd line for $3 mill a year is a worthwhile move.

without the 50% retention, it isnt worth it

I don't think it's worth it even with 50% seeing he has another 5 years left.

tremha

Mar 9, 2011
because despite what you may want, its still a skill that matters in hockey. No matter how fast or skilled your team is, you still need some bruisers. Especially in the playoffs when space disappears and physical play elevates

there is a difference between a hard working finish your check player and a fighter. There will be less and less value placed on fighting going forward. Tom Wilson will remain and flourish yes because he is tough but he can skate at today's pace and kill penalties so plays a 200' game. Lucic was prone to gliding even in his prime. Each year he will struggle with the changing pace. Loved him when he was here but NO thank you!

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
there is a difference between a hard working finish your check player and a fighter. There will be less and less value placed on fighting going forward. Tom Wilson will remain and flourish yes because he is tough but he can skate at today's pace and kill penalties so plays a 200' game. Lucic was prone to gliding even in his prime. Each year he will struggle with the changing pace. Loved him when he was here but NO thank you!
This is going on the assumption that the game won't change back to being more driven by bigger guys. Hockey goes through phases, right now it's all speed, skill and youth. That doesn't mean 10 years from now that size and defense won't reign again. Fighting may or may not be on it's way out due to Brain injuries and lawsuits but assuming that the game will remain centered around speed and skill would be as big a mistake as thinking years ago that you should only draft 6'3 forwards and bigger D.

Being prepared to make adjustments and not have a prospect pool filled with similar players would be a good move, the Bruins do not have any size or grit in prospect pipeline, this would necessitate making a move to add a top 9 forward with size, some skill, toughness and willingness to hit and fight. Whether that be Lucic with a pretty bad contract or a player like Khaira from Edmonton.

Lucic, bad contract or not, is the type of player the Bruins could use. He drove me nuts sometimes his last season here but his size, toughness, presence and hitting fill the need to a T. If he is worth the contract isn't a debate, he isn't but people saying "I don't want him under any circumstances" is silly and short sighted as he provides a fit for a need

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
Milan Lucic is one year removed from a 23 goal, 50 point season. Prior to this season he had back to back 20 plus goal season... The last time he had a sub 20 goal season and his team made the playoffs he was able to put up 19 pts in 22 playoff games (He didn't get that chance at redemption because Edmonton is awful) Milan Lucic hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com. Edmonton was bad all-around this year. The smart money is that Lucic bounces back this year and gets back to his 20 goal 50 point self. The numbers don't lie, I will trust the numbers over today's flavor. "Looch will be back to normal next year and we won't speak of this until he has a slump at which point the two slow, not meant for the modern game, Sweeney is a genius for trading him" talk starts up again."

As for Tom Wilson, he is the flavour of the month. He is a 4th liner in reality. Putrid stats Tom Wilson (b.1994) hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com . He cannot legitimately play first or second line minutes, Lucic can.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Lucic, bad contract or not, is the type of player the Bruins could use. He drove me nuts sometimes his last season here but his size, toughness, presence and hitting fill the need to a T. If he is worth the contract isn't a debate, he isn't but people saying "I don't want him under any circumstances" is silly and short sighted as he provides a fit for a need

Why is that silly or shortsighted? I would expect Lucic to only regress into his contract. He's signed for another 5 years. This isn't something that should be brushed aside. 5 years at 6M or 5 years at 3M. Anything in between is still too long for what the player potentially will be down the road.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Sorry guys but that irrational trade with calgary for hamilton was Sweeney biggest bungle. Carolina got a super package. Lindholm and hanifin thats sick.
totally impossible to compare the two trades. Bruins had an RFA on their hands who refused to sign and wanted to go to Canada. There were multiple offer sheet threats. They got the best deal they could have gotten for him under the circumsances.

Calgary on the other hand was dealing an established top pair D, locked up long-term in a situation where the player had no say over where he was getting traded. It makes sense that they were able to get a more substantial return for him.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Why is that silly or shortsighted? I would expect Lucic to only regress into his contract. He's signed for another 5 years. This isn't something that should be brushed aside. 5 years at 6M or 5 years at 3M. Anything in between is still too long for what the player potentially will be down the road.

See those fading taillights heading down the road? That's Milan Lucic heading off into that good night. He's never gonna be worth that contract at any percentage. We saw what he was like for his last 2 years here when he was what 3 or 4 years younger? He was out for a twirl on most shifts night after night.

What suggests he's gonna morph into 2009-2011 Milan Lucic now?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Milan Lucic is one year removed from a 23 goal, 50 point season. Prior to this season he had back to back 20 plus goal season... The last time he had a sub 20 goal season and his team made the playoffs he was able to put up 19 pts in 22 playoff games (He didn't get that chance at redemption because Edmonton is awful) Milan Lucic hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com. Edmonton was bad all-around this year.

Players do break down, you know? Especially players like Lucic.... Obviously it's hard to predict, but going off what he did this season, there is nothing wrong with thinking he's starting to go the wrong way. Is it really important what Lucic did 5 years ago? He was what 25-26 when he put up 19P/22GP. That is a long ways away at this point.

The smart money is that Lucic bounces back this year and gets back to his 20 goal 50 point self. The numbers don't lie, I will trust the numbers over today's flavor. "Looch will be back to normal next year and we won't speak of this until he has a slump at which point the two slow, not meant for the modern game, Sweeney is a genius for trading him" talk starts up again.".

The numbers don't lie, you're right. He's getting older and has seen regression the last three seasons, in which he has played with arguably the best young centers in the NHL. So how is it smart money to expect him to get back to that? I need to see it before I expect it, because like it's shown...The numbers don't lie and he's going backwards while getting older.

Sweeney's trade for Lucic was a great return for a UFA to be that they clearly had no plans to re-sign. Why insult him with the sarcastic "Sweeney is a genius for trading him" comment when it was a great trade at the end of the day?

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Milan Lucic is one year removed from a 23 goal, 50 point season. Prior to this season he had back to back 20 plus goal season... The last time he had a sub 20 goal season and his team made the playoffs he was able to put up 19 pts in 22 playoff games (He didn't get that chance at redemption because Edmonton is awful) Milan Lucic hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com. Edmonton was bad all-around this year. The smart money is that Lucic bounces back this year and gets back to his 20 goal 50 point self. The numbers don't lie, I will trust the numbers over today's flavor. "Looch will be back to normal next year and we won't speak of this until he has a slump at which point the two slow, not meant for the modern game, Sweeney is a genius for trading him" talk starts up again."

As for Tom Wilson, he is the flavour of the month. He is a 4th liner in reality. Putrid stats Tom Wilson (b.1994) hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com . He cannot legitimately play first or second line minutes, Lucic can.

How on earth is that the "smart money"? Do you think players never get worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad