News Article: Alfredsson Retirement Announcement Expected Dec 4 in Ottawa

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
I just dont get some of my fellow sens fans.. what he did was a complete slap in the face of all you.

and we retire his jersey.. i love how that gonna sound in 20 years..
Me:"yes son.. daniel alfreddson # 11, his number is retired, he played for us , and then said he didnt want to anymore and left"
Biancosaurus JR " OH? did he win us any cups?"
ME "uhhhhhh YEA SO ON TO LAZAR! the greatest player who ever was......."

yes, cause what happened is that black and white...

Maybe him and Melnyk had a major falling out over the contract thing that was also mentioned. Maybe Alfie took the high road, and went with a story that was going to burn the Sens the less (i.e. last chance to win cup vs. problem with owner)?

My point is after 17 freaking years with us, maybe we can, I don't know, give him the benefit of the doubt? Does he not deserve that? Do we not owe him that?

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
not in so many words... but hossa went out wanting to stay here... Alfie basically left running.

Yes because all those extensions he had signed previously with the Senators and the seventeen years of service with a single organization is really the type of player that can be classified as running.

He had no cup, the Sens were going nowhere, and Melnyk had suffocated the pocket book.

Give it a rest, one year does not erase all the others

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Boston also wanted him. so that cup nonsense,thats hogwash (meh thought id use it)

He through a hissy fit and left...and thats that

He's not allowed to make his decision based on more than just the quality of the teams?

Detroit offered a lot of positive; A system he fits into, some players he has chemistry with from international games, the potential to develop some chemistry going into the olympics,

For all we know, his family was pushing for Det; we simply don't know why he chose Detroit over Boston, but we do know they were a consensus better candidate for a cup run than Ottawa was.

Anyways, here's to a great career, hopefully he makes the HHOF, and comes back to Ottawa in an off ice capacity at some time. Guy was a huge part of this teams history, and I for one wish him the best.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
yes, cause what happened is that black and white...

Maybe him and Melnyk had a major falling out over the contract thing that was also mentioned. Maybe Alfie took the high road, and went with a story that was going to burn the Sens the less (i.e. last chance to win cup vs. problem with owner)?

My point is after 17 freaking years with us, maybe we can, I don't know, give him the benefit of the doubt? Does he not deserve that? Do we not owe him that?

thats honestly all fine.. except for the bolded part. we dont owe him anything. he made lots of money playing for our city. I know everyone is gonan hate this opinion but i mean he didnt play for free. I know he took discounts but its not liek they were massive. our team took the chance on him in the draft.. and you what else, there are a bunch of other fanbases that would have turned on their captain after all the under performing of the team and utter failures against rivals and early playoff exits... but you knwo what WE didnt turn on him.. we still chanted his name and talked about him liek he was above criticism.. to me , it felt and feel slike he forgot what the fans of the team DID of HIM and what he OWES US

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
Why is #8 retired anyways? Never got that.

Final living member of the 1927 Ottawa Senator Stanley Cup winning team, was a big proponent in Ottawa receiving another franchise. His number was retired on our first game.

I really hope when the Senators retire Alfredsson's number that they change Finnigans banner to more contemporary look. Our banners are all over the place

Bob Kudelski

Mar 8, 2006
Ottawa, ON
133rd Overall in the 1994 Draft
1178 Regular Season Appearances as an Ottawa Senator
121 Playoff Appearances as an Ottawa Senator
Ottawa Senators Captain from 1999-2013
6 Time NHL All-Star
NHL All-Rookie Team 1996
1996 Calder Trophy Recipient
2012 King Clancy Memorial Award Recipient
2013 Mark Messier Leadership Award Recipient
2006 Olympic Gold Medal
2014 Olympic Silver Medal
AHL All-Rookie Team 1996
CHEO ambassador

Huh?

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
It's funny how Orwellian we have become. So many people here say to those who want Alfredsson back in some capacity - even as just a gesture of goodwill - that we should "get over it, and move on."

The truth of the matter is that those still holding a grudge against Alfy and want to dismiss the legacy he has built here over the course of his career, are the ones who have actually yet to "get over it and move on."

You will be hard pressed to find another person here who was as angry as I was when Alfy made his decision. I felt betrayed, I felt lied to, and I felt like his image of a good guy was shattered. I took it personal and was pretty anti-Alfy for a while. But now that time has passed, 20 years of service to this organization and the city of Ottawa is worth far more than one bad decision on his part.

It's time to bury the hatchet folks. Let our prodigal son return home and let's get back on the path that was always intended - Alfy as part of this organization for life.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Maybe after a few more years have passed.. but doing this whole ceremony retirement thing right away would be so pathetic.. we would look like dogs going back to their owner that beats them.. sad

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
I've been a Sens fan since the beginning. Alfredsson was always one of my favourite players.

He will have his jersey in the rafters and I hope he comes back to the organization at some point.

Still will never be the same though if he had stayed in Ottawa the whole time.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
Something I've always been really annoyed about.

Our division banners and ECF banner are fine, just keep them in the separate row than our Stanley Cup banners.

Fix the Finnigan one though, now is the chance, make ours uniformed retired numbers banners like we find at the Canadiens games. You want these being up for the next 100 years, now is the time to fix it before it goes all over the place.

Give the existing banner to a representative of the Finnigan family or hang in the Bells Sensplex for fans to take pictures with.

The 8 and 11 should look like they are of the same ilk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad