Confirmed with Link: Alexis Lafreniere Signs Extension [7Y/7.45M AAV]

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Fair enough, but when you have no confidence and are trying very hard not to make mistakes it can look an awful lot like you ARENT trying…
I think something got through to him towards the end of training camp. He was not giving this type of effort before then. Could have been a coach, teammate, agent, family member or himself but there was a change towards the end of camp. That is a good thing. I give Laf credit. This is what I wanted to see from him. Hopefully this is just the beginning. I enjoy watching him raise his game.

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
You completely missed the point of the post.

Most people on this board, including you, have called laf a bust for not putting up points. His post was saying that it’s almost physically impossible to put up 50 or more points with zero PP time.

So, let me get this straight. Last season...

Chytil - 45 points w/ 5 PPP w/ 101:40 of PP time.
Miller - 43 points w/ 3 PPP w/ 44:49 of PP time.
Kakko - 40 points w/ 3 PPP w/ 73:03 of PP time.
Laf - 39 points w/ 4 PPP w/ 111:23 of PP time.

Okay, completely forgetting the fact that there is an entire segment of NHL players that surpasses 50 points at 5v5/ES if you zeroed out all their PP time and PP points, last season we had 3 players (3rd liners and a defenseman for goodness sake) within 10-15 points of a 50 point season and they all physically got less ice time than Laf on the PP.

To start this season, we elevated all the kids to Top 3 and Top 6 positions and my goal for Laf was to hit 50 points with his promotion to Top 6 and now you (and all the people you're speaking for I suppose) are saying that it's physically impossible for these players to score 10-15 more points within the realm of their production last year as 3rd liners now being in the Top 6 with whatever PP time they get on PP2?

It's only November, why are the goalposts moving already?

Last edited:

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I think something got through to him towards the end of training camp. He was not giving this type of effort before then. Could have been a coach, teammate, agent, family member or himself but there was a change towards the end of camp. That is a good thing. I give Laf credit. This is what I wanted to see from him. Hopefully this is just the beginning. I enjoy watching him raise his game.
He's still barely 22, so I expect missteps, but he looks like he's on his way up.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
So, let me get this straight. Last season...

Chytil - 45 points w/ 5 PPP w/ 101:40 of PP time.
Miller - 43 points w/ 3 PPP w/ 44:49 of PP time.
Kakko - 40 points w/ 3 PPP w/ 73:03 of PP time.
Laf - 39 points w/ 4 PPP w/ 111:23 of PP time.

Okay, completely forgetting the fact that there is an entire segment of NHL players that surpasses 50 points at 5v5/ES if you zeroed out all their PP time and PP points, last season we had 3 players (3rd liners and a defenseman for goodness sake) within 10 points of a 50 point season and they all physically got less ice time than Laf on the PP.

To start this season, we elevated all the kids to Top 3 and Top 6 positions and my goal for Laf was to hit 50 points with his promotion to Top 6 and now you (and all the people you're speaking for I suppose) are saying that it's physically impossible for these players to score 10 more points within the realm of their production last year as 3rd liners now now being in the Top 6.

It's only November, while are the goalposts moving already?
It's certainly not physically impossible, that's hyperbole, its just seems very difficult. (Do you have a number on how big the segment of NHLers is that get 50 or better at 5v5?) Especially on a team that is not, as a whole, thriving at 5v5. Your goal for Laf is completely reasonable, IMO. I think if he continues to play the way he has with Pan he will surpass that, with a minimum of PP points as PP2 is still getting mostly below 50sec shifts. Which is still way better than 30sec shifts, don't get me wrong: its more opportunity. He could easily be close to PPG right now if his setups were converted on. I think that'll start happening more IF HE KEEPS THIS UP. AND his confidence should snowball if the chances start going in. Hopefully it will be fun to watch as the season unfolds.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
It's certainly not physically impossible, that's hyperbole, its just seems very difficult. (Do you have a number on how big the segment of NHLers is that get 50 or better at 5v5?) Especially on a team that is not, as a whole, thriving at 5v5. Your goal for Laf is completely reasonable, IMO. I think if he continues to play the way he has with Pan he will surpass that, with a minimum of PP points as PP2 is still getting mostly below 50sec shifts. Which is still way better than 30sec shifts, don't get me wrong: its more opportunity. He could easily be close to PPG right now if his setups were converted on. I think that'll start happening more IF HE KEEPS THIS UP. AND his confidence should snowball if the chances start going in. Hopefully it will be fun to watch as the season unfolds.

It should be less difficult this season and not more difficult, according to some people, BH. Lol. Especially considering the way he's playing and the position he's in now. It's unfortunate for Laf because we have these discussions and back and forth simply because he's a 1OA. However, it is what is, and because of that title he's going to be scrutinized that much more. Just like every 1OA before and after him.

Reactions: bhamill

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalderCup
Apr 26, 2016
Hartford, CT
He’s still only on pace for 41pts after this amazing start. He’s looking better but that’s just in comparison to how he looked before. A good measure is reading opposing teams GDT. While Panarin was the whipping boy here the past couple years the other teams GDT’s were drooling over him and complaining about how good he is every game. There was not a single post about Laf in their GDT last night.

Fair to say he’s the better pick now than Kakko? I was always saying this, the biggest differentiating factor between the two is their swagger/confidence. Laf has the attitude that he believes he can be a star, I could see Laf at the All Star Game festivities fitting in with all the stars. I could not imagine Kakko there.

Mugless

Aug 26, 2004

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
He’s still only on pace for 41pts after this amazing start. He’s looking better but that’s just in comparison to how he looked before. A good measure is reading opposing teams GDT. While Panarin was the whipping boy here the past couple years the other teams GDT’s were drooling over him and complaining about how good he is every game. There was not a single post about Laf in their GDT last night.

Fair to say he’s the better pick now than Kakko? I was always saying this, the biggest differentiating factor between the two is their swagger/confidence. Laf has the attitude that he believes he can be a star, I could see Laf at the All Star Game festivities fitting in with all the stars. I could not imagine Kakko there.
Other GDT are actually a terrible measure, as most other teams' fans WANT Laf to fail. They are not going to drool over him regardless. The fact that there were no posts saying what an awful bust he is says how good he is playing.
Laf has been our second best player at 5v5, IMO, after Bread and with a little luck (Chytil et al finishing their chances, and getting properly credited for assists ) he'd be close to PPG.
He keeps playing like THIS and building his confidence, and the points will start building up too.
Funny, in previous years the rebuttal to his stats not being AWFUL was to say his play doesn't look good at all out there. Now the rebuttal to his play looking much better is his point totals aren't great. Hahahahaha

Last edited:

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
It should be less difficult this season and not more difficult, according to some people, BH. Lol. Especially considering the way he's playing and the position he's in now. It's unfortunate for Laf because we have these discussions and back and forth simply because he's a 1OA. However, it is what is, and because of that title he's going to be scrutinized that much more. Just like every 1OA before and after him.
I was looking at some of the EV scoring numbers last year: McJesus of course lead the way EV with 82 points, Pasta had 76, M Tkachuck 72, Kuch 73. MacKinnon, Hughes, Draisaital, Rantanen are in the 60's, Robertson, Tage Thompson, Stutzle, B Tkachuck are in the 50's, Barkov, RNH in the 40's. This is not a complete list, just an idea of the level of player that scores that much at EV. And the only players under 23 that seem to be up there are Hughes and Stutzle. Laf getting 50 EV would put him in some pretty good company, and I certainly don't think it's out of the question.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rangers in 7

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

If Laf keeps playing with Bread and keeps skating hard those points should follow. Maybe over a 50 point pace. 25G-30A would be a solid season.

Reactions: bhamill

LORDE

I am Lorde, YA YA YA
Aug 13, 2008
Feelin' good on a Wednesday
Id love to know the real reason Quinn and Gallant refused to play Lafreniere with Panarin for so long. Saying Panarin didnt want to play with him (or any of the kids) sounds like a convenient excuse. Same goes for the RW bs because hes been more than fine on that side. Laf is a much more confident player and theres real chemistry between them. Better late than never.
I still feel like at times he struggles a bit on the right... I forgot which game (Minny prob... not last night) where he ended up on the left, literally right next to Bread... like touching shoulders in the neutral zone/blue line area.

I'll repeat that I've heard, in the past, he wasn't doing the work, putting in the effort & was acting entitled.

If he's finally matured enough, & heard enough of the bust talk, that he's now engaged & motivated then all the better.

Since the start of the actual season I have nothing but praise for him.

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019

Is this like how you would vote for Krav in the post game thread and use that data to prove Krav was a great player?

• Haha
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Id love to know the real reason Quinn and Gallant refused to play Lafreniere with Panarin for so long. Saying Panarin didnt want to play with him (or any of the kids) sounds like a convenient excuse. Same goes for the RW bs because hes been more than fine on that side. Laf is a much more confident player and theres real chemistry between them. Better late than never.
Idiocy?

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Everyone voted for him, he had the most star votes of the team during his time here

This cannot be true :laugh:

He got first star in a couple pre-season games maybe. He got some votes in regular season games too, I'm sure. But "the most star votes of the team" in his 28 games and 6 points seems incredibly outlandish.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
because he'd have to play on the right and despite saying they'd try him there, they never really gave him enough time there and were patient enough

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey

Looks like he’s pacing more than 41 pts now

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019

the first time a pic was taken and then shown of them speaking to one another during a practice led to 13 scoring. same thing tonight. i don't know what it is that they're talking about. could be about hockey related shop talk, one sharing a homemade poutine recipe in exchange for lasagna making tips, whatever it is keep talking and keep whoever it is that's taking those snapshots pics. may make his good play persist for a real long time. couldn't hurt right?

didn't flub that no look pass. well all righty then.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad