Alex Ovechkin vs Evgeni Malkin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Availability gap is so wide that any Malkin > Ovechkin per game (playoff as well he could have a good argument to have some edge) one could make could not make up for it.

1426 regular season game to 1145,

And even then 1.09 ppg vs 1.13 ppg.

I think the current logic could apply, it is close either way (at their best, motivated Malkin hard to tell), Ovechkin did it so much more that clearly ahead even if it is not by much.

Last edited:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I think, at each's best, it's basically a tie. Malkin's 2008-09 season, RS + playoffs, is probably as good or better than any stern-to-stern season Ovechkin has had, and Malkin's 2010-11 is up there, too. On the other hand, Ovechkin's 2007-08 is likely as good or better than any Malkin regular season.

Looking at extended primes, statistically...

Malkin 2007-08 to 2019-20 (RS only):
1.20 PPG

Ovechkin 2005-06 to 2018-19 (RS only):
1.12 PPG

Ovechkin comes out a bit better in plus/minus; Malkin comes out a bit better in playoffs, partly due to four Cup runs.

Overall, about even. I mean, I guess if push comes to show Ovi gets the higher ranking because of better longevity (and durability). But at each's best, I call it even.

Reactions: sanscosm

Letsdothis

Jun 19, 2024
I'd lean on building a team around Malkin rather than OV. Geno was the kind of player that could carry a line by himself through his prime. OV kinda lost that ability after his first 5-6 years in the league.

Ovechkin is better on the powerplay and had better availability/durability through his prime, but Malkin was always ready for the playoffs. I think having the better player for playoffs is more valuable.

Reactions: sanscosm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad