Alex Ovechkin vs Evgeni Malkin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Neither of them touched the level of play that Malkin hit in the 09 playoffs with 36 in 22. Beyond the eye popping point total, he beat up everyone in that run, not just feasting on 1 opponent.

Philly: 4-5-9 in 6
Caps: 2-8-10 in 7
Canes: 6-3-9 in 4
Wings: 2-6-8 in 7
I don't know, that same season Ovechkin had 21 points in 14 games, and unlike Malkin in 2009 he always faced the other team's best defensive options. Malkin's numbers are obviously better as he was on a team that eventually won the Stanley Cup, but I'm not sure that his level of play was necessarily higher. Certainly he wasn't at a level that Ovechkin (or Crosby) never touched.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Malkin at his absolute best was superior to both Ovechkin and Crosby. ‘Beast mode’ Malkin was practically unstoppable.
That said, he could never maintain that level of play on a regular basis.

Ovechkin takes this quite easily.

I see people say that often, and I don't really agree.

Because "beast mode" Crosby or Ovechkin are pretty damn spectacular themselves.

I think people are a bit wow'd by peak Malkin because how much better peak Malkin is than career Malkin. Whereas for career, peak Ovy/Crosby are closer to career Crosby/Ovy so it stands out a bit less.

ie career - Ovechkin/Crosby >> Malkin

Peak - it's closer

But - just because it's close, it doesn't mean Malkin is better. All 3 are truly fantastic at their peaks. I still take Crosby #1 myself.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
I see people say that often, and I don't really agree.

Because "beast mode" Crosby or Ovechkin are pretty damn spectacular themselves.

I think people are a bit wow'd by peak Malkin because how much better peak Malkin is than career Malkin. Whereas for career, peak Ovy/Crosby are closer to career Crosby/Ovy so it stands out a bit less.

ie career - Ovechkin/Crosby >> Malkin

Peak - it's closer

But - just because it's close, it doesn't mean Malkin is better. All 3 are truly fantastic at their peaks. I still take Crosby #1 myself.
Crosby from 10-11 to end of 13-14 was far more dominant than either ov or malkin ever were.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Neither of them touched the level of play that Malkin hit in the 09 playoffs with 36 in 22. Beyond the eye popping point total, he beat up everyone in that run, not just feasting on 1 opponent.

Philly: 4-5-9 in 6
Caps: 2-8-10 in 7
Canes: 6-3-9 in 4
Wings: 2-6-8 in 7
Ovechkin that year went
7 in 7
14 in 7 against Malkin

Ovechkin despite the lost was +10 (70% gf)at even strength that spring in 14 games, Malkin was only +4 in 24 games.

If we say feasting on 1 opponent... that opponent was Malkin team.

I doubt 08-11 Ovechkin, 11-14 Crosby never touched Malkin incredibly 09 level of play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad