Alex Ovechkin vs Evgeni Malkin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Availability gap is so wide that any Malkin > Ovechkin per game (playoff as well he could have a good argument to have some edge) one could make could not make up for it.

1426 regular season game to 1145,

And even then 1.09 ppg vs 1.13 ppg.

I think the current logic could apply, it is close either way (at their best, motivated Malkin hard to tell), Ovechkin did it so much more that clearly ahead even if it is not by much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sentinel

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I think, at each's best, it's basically a tie. Malkin's 2008-09 season, RS + playoffs, is probably as good or better than any stern-to-stern season Ovechkin has had, and Malkin's 2010-11 is up there, too. On the other hand, Ovechkin's 2007-08 is likely as good or better than any Malkin regular season.

Looking at extended primes, statistically...

Malkin 2007-08 to 2019-20 (RS only):
1.20 PPG

Ovechkin 2005-06 to 2018-19 (RS only):
1.12 PPG

Ovechkin comes out a bit better in plus/minus; Malkin comes out a bit better in playoffs, partly due to four Cup runs.

Overall, about even. I mean, I guess if push comes to show Ovi gets the higher ranking because of better longevity (and durability). But at each's best, I call it even.

Reactions: sanscosm

Letsdothis

Jun 19, 2024
I'd lean on building a team around Malkin rather than OV. Geno was the kind of player that could carry a line by himself through his prime. OV kinda lost that ability after his first 5-6 years in the league.

Ovechkin is better on the powerplay and had better availability/durability through his prime, but Malkin was always ready for the playoffs. I think having the better player for playoffs is more valuable.

Reactions: sanscosm

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I'd lean on building a team around Malkin rather than OV. Geno was the kind of player that could carry a line by himself through his prime. OV kinda lost that ability after his first 5-6 years in the league.

Ovechkin is better on the powerplay and had better availability/durability through his prime, but Malkin was always ready for the playoffs. I think having the better player for playoffs is more valuable.

They played under different circumstances, though.

When Malkin was missing 20 or so games a year, the Pens had Crosby to centre the first line and lead the team. If Malkin had been on the Capitals instead of Ovechkin, his frequent unavailability in the latter half of his prime might have been more costly for his team.

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I agree that at their best, the two players are quite close.

But all-time, they're really not. Their resumes (which people tend to base such rankings on heavily) are very far off. Malkin should be firmly between Lindros and Ovechkin in that regard, if not closer to the former.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Malkin at his absolute best was superior to both Ovechkin and Crosby. ‘Beast mode’ Malkin was practically unstoppable.
That said, he could never maintain that level of play on a regular basis.

Ovechkin takes this quite easily.

Reactions: Sentinel

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
It's Ovechkin.

But very interesting to see that since 2007 these teams are so close minus the additional cups won by Penguins. Total points - tied. Goals - top 3. Goals against - Right behind each other. ROW - 1 win difference.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Obviously Ovechkin but just as players and not careers Malkin isn't all that far behind. I don't mean that as a slight to Ovechkin either, Malkin was an all time great,

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I think, at each's best, it's basically a tie. Malkin's 2008-09 season, RS + playoffs, is probably as good or better than any stern-to-stern season Ovechkin has had,

In the 2008-2009 season, Ovechkin got 112 first place Hart votes. Malkin got 12.

Ovechkin also won the Pearson and led the NHL in playoff PPG and GPG from 2007-2010.

Malkin also played a ton at ES with Sidney Crosby that season. Over 50 of his points involved Sidney Crosby.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Seeing Malkin early in his career, I recall thinking, "wow, this guy is really good!".

Seeing Ovechkin early in his career, I recall thinking, "wow, I've never seen anything like this guy! ".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad