Alex Nylander

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Given Nylander's tools, flashes of talent, and pedigree, you have to give him one more full season before judging. If he shows no progress at that point, fine, but there's no urgency to cut bait.

What tools, what talent?
It's been four years since his draft and there's been exactly zero progress. How likely do you think it is that he's gonna improve next year? Most other teams wouldn't even put him on their NHL roster at this point. Even at AHL level he failed to score. If he wasn't a former 8th overall, he wouldn't be on the Blackhawks roster either. This is the playoffs and pretty much everyone could do better than Nylander. Even plugs like Caggiula look like friggin allstars compared to him. Nylander's been by far the worst player in every single playoff game...as he was in most games before. Every promising play is instantly gonna die on his stick.

Also don't forget that the 2016 draft was extremely weak in terms of forwards. DeBrincat is one of the very few exceptions. But that's part of the reason why Nylander got drafted so early. Not necesserily just because he was such a promising player.

Last edited:

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
What tools, what talent?
It's been four years since his draft and there's been exactly zero progress. How likely do you think it is that he's gonna improve next year? Most other teams wouldn't even put him on their NHL roster at this point. Even at AHL level he failed to score. If he wasn't a former 8th overall, he wouldn't be on the Blackhawks roster either. This is the playoffs and pretty much everyone could do better than Nylander. Even plugs like Caggiula look like a friggin allstars compared to him. Nylander's been by far the worst player in every single playoff game...as he was in most games before. Every promising play is instantly gonna die on his stick.

Also don't forget that the 2016 draft was extremely weak in terms of forwards. DeBrincat is one of the very few exceptions. But that's part of the reason why Nylander got drafted so early. Not necesserily just because he was such a promising player.

Anyone who says he has no tools and no talent simply did not watch the Chicago Blackhawks this year. I don’t know what else to tell you.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Anyone who says he has no tools and no talent simply did not watch the Chicago Blackhawks this year. I don’t know what else to tell you.

He's very talented at turning over pucks or letting promising plays die on his stick...if that's what you mean...but there's nothing he's good at. He's a turnovermachine, he's not scoring, he's soft, weak on the puck, his positioning against the puck is horrible and he's just not thinking the game fast enough.

Reactions: BuddyTheGoon

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
The thing about Nylander is he never seems to have any impressive offensive sequences either...He can't create off the rush, he has no cycle game...He doesn't really create with his shot...I know he had close to 30 points but he just never stands out...You'd expect to see flashes with a top 10 pick...Like pre-covid Dach you'd see the flashes, or Boqvist...just not there with Nylander...For how much shit Strome gets and how much rope Nylander gets it makes absolutely zero sense other than people feel obligated to because they traded Jokiharju for him and want to feel right about that deal...I'd take Jokiharju back at this point...
So would I, but I do get the idea that Joker could have been exposed, and so the 'hawks wanted something for him. I still think Stan sold low.

For a number of games Nylander, Debrincat, and Strome have all seen the play die on their stick. Strome has been better, maybe not by a great amount, but better. Debrincat just looks snakebit now until the ENG--you could see the legs churning and the cogs turning trying to get the 800lb gorilla off his back. Nylander...it's still a big question mark there. You can look at Corsi all you want but there's not much to Nylander's game that has been translating to the scoreboard in a positive way these playoffs.

Maybe he gets his head wired to his anus next year...maybe not. But right now he looks like he's floating out there and I'd rather see someone come out there and play hungry, even if they have less talent--like Kampf, Carpenter, and Caligula.

Strome gets the shit he gets because of Musto. :laugh: I'd say about 75% of it is to antagonize the shit out of him, and nothing more. Which is why he threw the Cat bitch fest tantrum the last day or two.

As mentioned above, Strome has gotten better. The play isn't dying on his stick anymore. He might not be as-noticable as Debrincat has been, but it's there.

Reactions: Hinterland

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
He's only 22 and his contract demands will be minimal so there isn't much urgency to make a decision with him, but he hasn't been an impressive or especially an effective player in these playoffs or for the majority of the regular season. Objectively I don't think he makes our roster better which regardless of all the other factors we've been discussing the last year with him, is the only one that matters IMO

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I just don’t see much with him. Just a guy who looks like he may have some skill but hasn’t figured out how to make that skill work for him. And the AHL, etc. is littered with guys like him. Just because he was drafted 8th in a weak draft doesn’t make him instantly talented. He doesn’t seem to have the game IQ either. Heck he even gets PP time for a reason unknown to me.....unless we want our PP to continue to suck. I would rather see him sent on his way. He has been given plenty of opportunity with talented players and just cannot make a play.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
lol people really comparing Nylander to Perlini.

Perlini is a hack and a bonafide scrub. If it weren't for Manning, he'd be the worst player to wear a Hawks sweater in recent years. (somehow Stan got value for both them lol)

Nylander hasn't blown anyone away but he's been in our system for one season. This is his rookie year. Have some patience. Have some trust in the Hawks development staff. He still has another ELC year and even when we extend him, it'll probably be cheap. There's plenty of time for him to improve, and undo Buffalo's damage.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
He gets one more season by default given the asset they moved to acquire him...

Also because he's cheap. He will definitely be here next year and hopefully he shows something (and he absolutely has the talent/tools, no idea what the other posters here are talking about, that isn't my problem with Nylander). BUT, people like KBS ever comparing him to Teravainen for example and his progression are out to lunch.

Reactions: hawksrule

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Also because he's cheap. He will definitely be here next year and hopefully he shows something (and he absolutely has the talent/tools, no idea what the other posters here are talking about, that isn't my problem with Nylander). BUT, people like KBS ever comparing him to Teravainen for example and his progression are out to lunch.

Again, what talent? What tools? Even Caggiula is better at pretty much everything.

Fine, he's cheap. So is everybody else in Rockford. Send him there and bring up somebody useful instead. If Nylander starts using the tools you're talking about you can still give him another chance. Right now he's not close from NHL level and I don't see NHL potential. He shouldn't have played a single minute in these playoffs. Most useless player in both bubbles. I don't get it. Should have played Hagel or Kurashev long ago.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Caggiula is all heart, that's About the worst Player to compare him with.

Nylander has all the Tools, he has lots of Talent. It's easy to see why he was drafted that high and would have gone high in a lot of the drafts. Nylander has the same Problem as his brother and it Looks like it's a bit related to their Father. They were Pretty much told from a Young age About their skill and both Brothers lack the needed effort. William seems to get it a bit more but is a bit more skilled. Alex has time to grow into his place more and as soon as he understands he isn't one of the most skilled and can't get by with the lack of effort he'll become a good Player.
There is lots of high Level potential in him, it's all About him putting it together.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
lol people really comparing Nylander to Perlini.

Perlini is a hack and a bonafide scrub. If it weren't for Manning, he'd be the worst player to wear a Hawks sweater in recent years. (somehow Stan got value for both them lol)

Nylander hasn't blown anyone away but he's been in our system for one season. This is his rookie year. Have some patience. Have some trust in the Hawks development staff. He still has another ELC year and even when we extend him, it'll probably be cheap. There's plenty of time for him to improve, and undo Buffalo's damage.

Perlini was averaging .36 ppg at 22 in the NHL. Nylander at 22 has .38 points per game. They arent so far off right now. Buffalos top 5 players are all home grown. The development thing is overblown cuz Mittelstadt hasnt turned the corner and nylander isnt any good.

Also for manning and perlini, Bowman acquired both of them....

Last edited:

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW

Nylander has all the Tools, he has lots of Talent. It's easy to see why he was drafted that high and would have gone high in a lot of the drafts. Nylander has the same Problem as his brother and it Looks like it's a bit related to their Father. They were Pretty much told from a Young age About their skill and both Brothers lack the needed effort. William seems to get it a bit more but is a bit more skilled. Alex has time to grow into his place more and as soon as he understands he isn't one of the most skilled and can't get by with the lack of effort he'll become a good Player.
There is lots of high Level potential in him, it's all About him putting it together.

Playing Devil's Advocate here: Is the playoffs really the best situation to give him time to grow if he hasn't shown any indication of rising to the challenge?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

All apologists here talk about tools and talent...which tools? Nobody ever mentioned even one. Talented at what? Killing plays, turning over pucks, floating around stupidly? If that's what you're talking about then yeah...he's easily the most talented player of both bubbles.

Effort may be part of the problem but the real problem is that they're not even half as talented as many for some reason thought they were. The other huge problem is their hockey IQ of almost 0. Did you see what happened when Keefe put William at Center? He didn't have the slightest clue what to do or where to go. Not the slightest. It was a disaster and every beer leaguer could have done the same. Alex has the same issues in every game. There's zero purpose in his game. He's almost always out of position against the puck and he doesn't know what to do when he gets it. So he mostly just ends up doing nothing or turning it over. At the end of the day they just suck at hockey. There's nothing they're really good at but so many things they're bad at with them being soft and not thinking the game fast enough being the absolut worst. As a hockey Coach I wouldn't want any of them on my team. These are the players that drive Coaches crazy. They should just go back to Sweden where they have much more time and space but they'll never work out in NA. William probably could in a limited 3rd line role but he's not gonna put the work in to get there. An absolute anchor of a contract for Toronto. Alex just isn't good enough. Period.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Perlini was averaging .36 ppg at 22 in the NHL. Nylander at 22 has .38 points per game. They arent so far off right now. Buffalos top 5 players are all home grown. The development thing is overblown cuz Mittelstadt hasnt turned the corner and nylander isnt any good.

Also for manning and perlini, Bowman acquired both of them....

The development thing is not overblown. They tried to force-feed him into the NHL at 18. It was a terrible mistake. They should have sent him to the OHL or Europe for at least a year if not two. Buffalo's development sucks. When Rasmus Ristolainen is in your top 5 things are not going well.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
All apologists here talk about tools and talent...which tools? Nobody ever mentioned even one. Talented at what? Killing plays, turning over pucks, floating around stupidly? If that's what you're talking about then yeah...he's easily the most talented player of both bubbles.

Effort may be part of the problem but the real problem is that they're not even half as talented as many for some reason thought they were. The other huge problem is their hockey IQ of almost 0. Did you see what happened when Keefe put William at Center? He didn't have the slightest clue what to do or where to go. Not the slightest. It was a disaster and every beer leaguer could have done the same. Alex has the same issues in every game. There's zero purpose in his game. He's almost always out of position against the puck and he doesn't know what to do when he gets it. So he mostly just ends up doing nothing or turning it over. At the end of the day they just suck at hockey. There's nothing they're really good at but so many things they're bad at with them being soft and not thinking the game fast enough being the absolut worst. As a hockey Coach I wouldn't want any of them on my team. These are the players that drive Coaches crazy. They should just go back to Sweden where they have much more time and space but they'll never work out in NA. William probably could in a limited 3rd line role but he's not gonna put the work in to get there. An absolute anchor of a contract for Toronto. Alex just isn't good enough. Period.

This post is just clueless if you don't think he has tools and zero hockey IQ. Even if you blindly hate him and have no idea what you are talking he still has obvious tools.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

Just say you hate him. The rest of this nonsense doesn’t even remotely make sense

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois

Did he f*** your wife or something? Holy shit man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad