Player Discussion Alex Newhook

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Dach struggling just make Newhook deficiencies more obvious, and similar to Slaf last season, we should give until Dec before judging Dach. That said, then entire line is struggling right now, it's not like Newhook has flashes on his own and that neither player with him can complement his play.
Newhook has missed chances too. Simply saying that if we’re relying on him to carry the second line, it’s not going to happen. We need Dach to do that. I think Newhook can be a solid second line contributor but he’s never going to be the guy leading the way.

As I said before the season started, Dach is the key for a successful year. We need him to be able to carry the load to be successful.

Unfortunately, he’s got a lot of rust to shake off. We’ll have to give him some time.

Armia isn't helping, that is for sure, but Roy didn't deserve to stay in the NHL and unlike the other player that are playing like shit, the team had the option to send him in Laval where he can not only learn a lesson but get lots of ice time. So right now, the window is open for him to be call up, he just need to show he deserve it.
Agee with this. But in the context of the season and how it’s started here, the club needs a shot in the arm. I’d try Roy. They have zero to lose.

Reactions: Kosseca

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
15 goals scorer, WHAT A SHOT!!!! he scored when Ullmark wasnt even in his net, you really think newhook is a 30+ goals scorer? Youve established you know cant evaluate players. you really gotta understand that every player in the NHL has a shot, some of them have "better" shots like Caufield, some of them have BAD shots like Gallagher. Newhook has a 4/10 shot.

If he had a shot, he wouldve scored 30 goals easy with mackinnon and ranta

A guy can have a good shot and low goal totals.

Pierre Dagenais is an example that comes to mind. It happens when guys have other limitations that limit their opportunities to showcase it.

But further to this topic, Newhook missed alot of time last year and did not play with traditional top 6 players 5 on 5 last year for the most part. So even the goal totals have to be put in the proper context.

Erika

Jan 9, 2007
Gatineau
This guy is terrible !! I have the same issue with Newhook that I had with Christopher Higgins a few years back... he isn't suited for a 2nd line role. He's a borderline ok 3rd line player in a bad team, but would be best utilized as an energy player with the focus of forechecking responsibilities on a 4th line in a championship caliber team like Florida or the Rangers. His stone hands isn't going to contribute much in an offensive role and it's amplifying with how bad Dach is playing currently.

Newhook is a worst version of Christopher Higgins imo. Heck, Higgins scored 20 goals 3 times in his career while being responsible defensively, Newhook is nowhere close to that right now. I would get rid of him for the highest value possible within the next 2 years if I was Kent Hughes... I don't see him in the Habs core top 9 when this team will get back in the playoff road. :teach:

Last edited:
Reactions: River Meadow

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
He's a third liner on a good team , nothing wrong with that.

Also I don't see Newhook as soft , weak yes but soft no

Weak isn't that much better than soft though, is it?

Avs fan said this to me in another thread earlier today. Hopefully Newhook gets better but this was their perspective on their own 1st round selection:

"I was happy when the Avs bailed on Newhook early enough to recoup good value. He's a player that leaves you thinking he could get to that next level, but then never gets any better at all."
Another Avs fan:
"Right now, hes stuck at the.. too small to be a good bottom sixer, not skilled enough to be a line driver, and not enough two way play to play with two other elite offensive players against top competition."

Last edited:
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Never liked him in the BCHL, never liked him on the Avs and I still don't like him. Stop answering the phone when Sakic calls, KENT

Sakic bout to call up Kent to sell him some timeshares in Maui

💯 % agree. Nothing wrong with Newhook being a solid 3rd liner.

Do we need an undersized 3rd liner who shy's away from physical play, with our already smallish core?

• Haha
Reactions: Habs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad