Alex Edler - Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
I literally can't even believe that number. We're not a great team, but to be a -39 on a team that's anything other than the worst in the league...Jesus. Jesus.

LOLKarlsson*

He's been awful for sure, and I'm not very optimistic that he'll find his game.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
I think Gillis got a raw deal and deserved another season. But of all the things critics have stuck him with, the not trading Edler last summer, when many here and elsewhere were calling for it, is that one bad move I can't defend. Talk about driving trade value into the gutter in 6 months.

-39 in 3/4 of a season too.

member 202355

If we see a new coach behind the bench next season, I'm hoping Edler will find his game.

FloydTheBarber

Aug 10, 2006
Also to put it in more perspective, the second worst Canuck was Kesler with -15.

How Edler managed to be -24 worse than the second lowest Canuck is astounding. :help:

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
That's freaking incredible. All these people suggesting that Edler be dealt for some big return.......maybe we ought to recognize that the guy has pretty poor value right now.

How he manages to be a minus 1 tonight......amazing.

Realize that the guy he narrowly beat out is a 3rd liner that returned something in the whereabouts of a 1st round pick. ;)

Canuck16

that's curtains!
Apr 11, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Does he have trade value? Prior to the season, the Leafs would have named him captain if they could. Now they see his +/- and run.

I bet the Canucks could have got a nice return for him before the season.

I still think we can get something for him. Its gonna take some desperation and convincing but it could happen.

Edler would flourish on Detroit playing with Kronwall and Zetterberg but he needs to go where we get the best return.

FloydTheBarber

Aug 10, 2006
I think Gillis got a raw deal and deserved another season. But of all the things critics have stuck him with, the not trading Edler last summer, when many here and elsewhere were calling for it, is that one bad move I can't defend. Talk about driving trade value into the gutter in 6 months.

-39 in 3/4 of a season too.

Gillis' reasoning is frustrating as well, I can't find the the source, but I recall hearing "if I traded Edler before his NTC kicked in, it shows bad character, and future free agents would think twice before signing in Vancouver".

It hasn't seemed to hurt Philadelphia at all, and they've done it countless times recently. Heck Lecavalier signed with them almost immediately.

Canuck16

that's curtains!
Apr 11, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Gillis' reasoning is frustrating as well, I can't find the the source, but I recall hearing "if I traded Edler before his NTC kicked in, it shows bad character, and future free agents would think twice before signing in Vancouver".

It hasn't seemed to hurt Philadelphia at all, and they've done it countless times recently. Heck Lecavalier signed with them almost immediately.

Speaking of Philly, i bet they would have been great trade partners. They were hunting for a d-man all summer and ended up with Streit. They went hard after Weber the year before. They would have taken Edler.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC

This is the downside of hiring an agent as a gm.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
What a garbarge season for the guy.

I know some want to wash our hands on the guy, but I think you really need to come back at him with a new coach who can give him a fresh start.

Unless you can do something like a 1-for-1 swap with a player in an Evander Kane-esque situation, of course.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
wow... he really fell off fast. went from all stars 2 years ago to this. we'll be lucky to trade him for anything now....

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Edlers a softy and has confidence issues. Summer talk of trade and Torts probably didnt help much in that department.

Heres hoping he can find his game again.

Fa Ci La

Mar 2, 2012
Also to put it in more perspective, the second worst Canuck was Kesler with -15.

How Edler managed to be -24 worse than the second lowest Canuck is astounding. :help:

Not really. It's pretty simple to understand. The team didn't score when he was on the ice. At even strength, Elder was on the ice for 19 goals. Per ExtraSkater, only that goon we have was on the ice for fewer goals.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver

I can't say I disagree with Gillis' reasoning. But for some reason people love signing with the Flyers, which makes no sense as that franchise is not exactly known for loyalty. There seems to be a perception that the treatment of Luongo is somehow affecting the Canucks reputation for free agents, yet the Flyers signed a goalie to a mega deal and buy him out the next year.....and trade 2 franchise cornerstones in the first year of 12 year deals. Yet....every year they are aggressively in the mix for free agents and have no problem signing them.

As for Edler, the time is not now to trade him. I don't think he was as bad as his plus minus suggested....and I think Garrison might have been worse than he was. He's not gonna be that defenseman we thought he could be with his serious injuries, but he can still play as a top 4 guy. Sweden took him over Hedman for christ sakes.....and played him over Ekman-Larsson. Speaks volumes when some out there think as highly as they do about him.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Not really. It's pretty simple to understand. The team didn't score when he was on the ice. At even strength, Elder was on the ice for 19 goals. Per ExtraSkater, only that goon we have was on the ice for fewer goals.

That's the biggest issues. He was on the ice for 521 shots for and 511 against, he finished +10 in shots on the season and -39 in goals. It was his best year in +/- shots and his worst in +/- goals. He didn't play well but he wasn't -39 bad.

Statistically flukey year. They happen, like when some 3rd liner pots 30+ goals on the back of a 20% shooting percentage and yet barely breaks 15 goals in his 10 other years in the league.

bsjezz

Nov 28, 2011

considering how much icetime he had, that is insane

i'm honestly struggling to get my head around it.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
And people still want him traded. What value will he bring back?

Best to keep him, similar to Burrows, and then hope for the best next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad