Alex Edler - Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
5th on Relative Corsi (D men, 5vs5, 40 games or more). Letang, Leddy, Hamilton & Campbell (!) are ahead of him. Tanev #7.

One can say what one want about Corsi, perhaps pick another Corsi value where they rank lower or just hate on the Corsi as a value to measure with. But still. Having a pairing with relative Corsi ranking average at spot #6 is fantastic.

For comparison, digging into this random corsi value:
Brodie - Giardano average # 9
Campell-Ekblad average # 10,5
Ekholm - Jones # 15,5 (#11,5 if Ellis counts, but I do not think he is paired with any of them)

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
That whole requiring a #1 d-man to be well rounded thing is stupid.

If you're making that much of an impact, then you're making that much of an impact-- it doesn't matter what the breakdown is.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=749726&navid=DL|VAN|home

Nice article on Edler. I especially like the part where it discusses how Edler wasn't actually as bad last year as it seemed. The guy is the real deal and I've been a believer since Day 1.

The great thing in my mind is that, because defensemen can still be very effective players into their late 30's, Edler is still actually young enough can still be a key piece for this team as they transition to a new era. If there are indeed to be some tough years ahead, we'll be glad we have this horse.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria

Nice article on Edler. I especially like the part where it discusses how Edler wasn't actually as bad last year as it seemed. The guy is the real deal and I've been a believer since Day 1.

The great thing in my mind is that, because defensemen can still be very effective players into their late 30's, Edler is still actually young enough can still be a key piece for this team as they transition to a new era. If there are indeed to be some tough years ahead, we'll be glad we have this horse.

Yeah, remember this offseason when posters were saying waiving Edler for cap space was probably our best option? Good times.

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada
Yeah, remember this offseason when posters were saying waiving Edler for cap space was probably our best option? Good times.

With the Sedins riding off into the sunset soon and no real offensive force coming up to replace them, Edler and Tanev might just be the focal points of the team for a while.

It's a sad reality but the Canucks could become Edler's team. It'd be a waste if we couldn't surround him with some better forwards.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Well everyone said the team would end up like Calgary. They could be the Canucks' version of the Giordano-Brodie pairing

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Well everyone said the team would end up like Calgary. They could be the Canucks' version of the Giordano-Brodie pairing

I've been thinking this lately. Obviously Edler and Tanev haven't been nearly as good offensively but they've both been extremely good defensive pairings. They're even similar in that Edler and Giordano are vets paired with younger, mobile partners (Brodie and Tanev).

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada
Soft infront of the net. Guys half his size are allowed to camp there.

The rules protect opposing players in front of the net. Knowing the Canucks, if he got more physical, the refs would probably call it.

He's not great at it but I will say he is better than every other defender on the team at protecting the net.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Did anybody else marvel at Edler's game last night? Without a doubt it's the best hockey of his career. Yeah he may not be putting up the numbers that he used to, but I'd give some of that in a heartbeat with how he's playing defensively and positionally. Just seems like a different person. He's playing like a number 1.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Did anybody else marvel at Edler's game last night? Without a doubt it's the best hockey of his career. Yeah he may not be putting up the numbers that he used to, but I'd give some of that in a heartbeat with how he's playing defensively and positionally. Just seems like a different person. He's playing like a number 1.

To be honest I didn't think he had a great game last night. Looked a bit rusty and made a few errors in the offensive zone. Overall he has played extremely well this year.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
To be honest I didn't think he had a great game last night. Looked a bit rusty and made a few errors in the offensive zone. Overall he has played extremely well this year.

With his ongoing back issues, I think he is going to be super careful about being physical until he believes he can trust his own body.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver

Defensvely he was a stud and his transition game was incredible. I honestly don't see how anyone could think he didn't play well. You must have been just puck watching.

Last edited:

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

he had good moments but he's clearly a bit hesitant or hurt or whatever. the good thing is that it appears that the mental game is still there and not *poof* with the injury

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
It sure doesn't take long for opinions to change. I remember, just last year everyone wanted him out of town and i was the only one defending him. Glad he's turned the corner, as i predicted he would. I'm not here to say i told you so, I rather just seem amused at the people who bashed him say they knew he was gonna be this good all along. My opinion on players rarely change because it's actually my own. Others, not everyone, but most, are persuaded by others and aren't able to make up their opinion and just listen to others/follow the crowd/listen to the media. You're on a hockey board to talk hockey, so i assume you watch hockey so technically you'd be able to make your own opinions, but nope that isn't how it goes. I just find that mind boggling how some people here post here without their own comprehension. I mean, seriously, why?

Last edited:

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
There were posters (myself included) who defended him last season. While many wanted him shipped out, there were still a good number of posters who wanted to keep him.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
It sure doesn't take long for opinions to change. I remember, just last year everyone wanted him out of town and i was the only one defending him. Glad he's turned the corner, as i predicted he would. I'm not here to say i told you so, I rather just seem amused at the people who bashed him say they knew he was gonna be this good all along. My opinion on players rarely change because it's actually my own.

you're making this up... why?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad