Alex Edler - Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Elder went into Philly last night and ran the ice like a boss. The way he handles scrums and pushback from the other team now is impressive. He's mastered the icy Viking stare and dares them to get to him through his stick. The turnaround in confidence is amazing.

Reminded me of the LA playoff series a number of years back. Not sure what happened to that guy in the years between....

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Reminded me of the LA playoff series a number of years back. Not sure what happened to that guy in the years between....

He has been physical before. IMO there was always an awkwardness to it before, both how he hit and how he handled people reacting to his hits. I don't see any of that anymore. Ready or not here he comes... and he's coming in hot.

FlowMaster

Jan 28, 2009
BC
Has Edler played like a #1 Dman so far this season?

I think this year he's played like a #1 dman, and with this coaching staff I don't see how his play will fall off. We'd all like to see more from him on the powerplay specifically, but I still think he's doing an adequate job to be considered a #1. Not all #1 dmen have to be PP quarterbacks.

Has Alexander Edler finally become a true "Number 1 Defenceman" we all hoped he'd become?

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I think this year he's played like a #1 dman, and with this coaching staff I don't see how his play will fall off. We'd all like to see more from him on the powerplay specifically, but I still think he's doing an adequate job to be considered a #1. Not all #1 dmen have to be PP quarterbacks.

Has Alexander Edler finally become a true "Number 1 Defenceman" we all hoped he'd become?

I'd say so :nod:

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I say yes. Some people will say he needs to put up more points but I think he's been unlucky and will end up close to 40pts this season if he plays 80 games.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
He's on pace for not even 30 points despite being on a good powerplay all year long. While I am thrilled that he is playing great shutdown hockey, #1 defensemen must be able to contribute at both ends of the ice IMO.

Is he simply a defensive defenseman? Im beginning to think so.

arsmaster*

I say yes. Some people will say he needs to put up more points but I think he's been unlucky and will end up close to 40pts this season if he plays 80 games.

I think his turn around is a big reason for the teams success but I can't view him as a #1, more a solid top pair. He and Tanev together makes the pairing work. I don't want to think about what his play would look like if he was asked to play full time with Bieksa or Sbisa.

He's more of the true #1 than Tanev is, but I wouldn't say he's one of the 15 best defensman in the league.

The pairing though, it might be top 3.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I think his turn around is a big reason for the teams success but I can't view him as a #1, more a solid top pair. He and Tanev together makes the pairing work. I don't want to think about what his play would look like if he was asked to play full time with Bieksa or Sbisa.

He's more of the true #1 than Tanev is, but I wouldn't say he's one of the 15 best defensman in the league.

Edler has been excellent this year no matter who he's been on the ice with. Him and Tanev have both spent time babysitting different guys late in games to help spread the ice around.

He's easily been 1 of the best 30 this season. Might be a little early to give him a holiday but if he can keep this up and produce a little more... he'll be in my top 15.

Tanev isn't far behind.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site

The sum is greater than the parts? Thankful that the Canucks have a legit shutdown pair and heres hoping Corrado becomes a partner for Hamhuis to get a second solid pairing.

To be fair Bieksa and Sbisa would bring down pretty much any defensemen.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
He has been physical before. IMO there was always an awkwardness to it before, both how he hit and how he handled people reacting to his hits. I don't see any of that anymore. Ready or not here he comes... and he's coming in hot.

Now if only the officiating/NHL wheel of justice let him actually play the game physically without having to think about the BS suspensions he got.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
The transformation in Edler's defensive game from last season is pretty remarkable. Last year he struggled to just keep up with the play and now he's doing a solid job playing against top opposition player. If there's thirty #1 D in the league then I think you can safely say Edler is currently one of them. Hopefully he and Tanev can find some chemistry on offensve like they have on defense. On the surface Tanev seems like is the kind of player that compliments Edler, smart and fast.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
This site seems to define "#1 defenseman" as "no lesser a player than Drew Doughty". In real life, where there would be roughly 30 "#1 defensemen" in the league, I'd have to think he makes the top-30 list, though obviously in the latter half of that list.

The transformation in Edler's defensive game from last season is pretty remarkable. Last year he struggled to just keep up with the play and now he's doing a solid job playing against top opposition player.
I think that's a sign he was getting an awful lot of intervention -- and not of the good kind -- from Tortorella. Probably having thirty different instructions shouted at him in practice followed by rage.

I also think the utterly indefensible suspension for Hertl running into him neutered his game, as many here have observed.

arsmaster*

This site seems to define "#1 defenseman" as "no lesser a player than Drew Doughty". In real life, where there would be roughly 30 "#1 defensemen" in the league, I'd have to think he makes the top-30 list, though obviously in the latter half of that list.

#1 Defensman is a very vague term that can have different meanings for different players.

There are certainly tiers of defensman that play on top pairings throughout the league.

He's a top 30 for sure, likely not a top 15...I think the Tanev-Edler pairing is greater than the sum of its parts.

I think he could play on any top pairing in the league, but there are probably 15 dmen I'd take over him individually. Not sure the list but it puts him in good company.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I think that's a sign he was getting an awful lot of intervention -- and not of the good kind -- from Tortorella. Probably having thirty different instructions shouted at him in practice followed by rage.

I also think the utterly indefensible suspension for Hertl running into him neutered his game, as many here have observed.

His confidence seemed to be wavering over a few years and completely left him when Torts got in his ear. I wouldn't be surprised if it was as simple as Doug Lidster having the real life experience needed to get through to him. You can't fake the kind of speed and aggression that Edler is defending with this season. He's consistently doing to the best players in the world what we've seen great defensemen do to the twins... he's mauling them. I can't get enough.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
His confidence seemed to be wavering over a few years and completely left him when Torts got in his ear. I wouldn't be surprised if it was as simple as Doug Lidster having the real life experience needed to get through to him. You can't fake the kind of speed and aggression that Edler is defending with this season. He's consistently doing to the best players in the world what we've seen great defensemen do to the twins... he's mauling them. I can't get enough.

^ i think so too. i still wistfully imagine my alternate scenario canucks where AV gets canned after the the year we didn't make the playoffs and we hire brad mccrimmon.

i think edler could have been a norris guy under him.

obviously that alternate scenario also probably has beast still alive today.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
#1 Defensman is a very vague term that can have different meanings for different players.

There are certainly tiers of defensman that play on top pairings throughout the league.

He's a top 30 for sure, likely not a top 15...I think the Tanev-Edler pairing is greater than the sum of its parts.

I think he could play on any top pairing in the league, but there are probably 15 dmen I'd take over him individually. Not sure the list but it puts him in good company.

Im not sure Edler is top 30. He is somewhere in the 25-60 dmen, and it fluctuates. And he is only been better defensively with Tanev babysitting him.

Dmen I would rather have on my team with little doubt:

Weber
Keith
Doughty
Seabrook
Pietrangelo
Shattenkirk
Subban
Karlsson
Giordano
Mcdonagh
Letang
Byfuglien

Younger ones where I would take them over Edler:

TJ Brodie
Ekblad
Hamilton
Hedman

Thats already 16...... With little doubt.

And then some I would also take. These are a bit closer.

Suter
Carlson
Josi
Seth Jones
Burns
Kronwall
Fowler

And then a bunch you can debate, but I will bold the ones I would take:

Vatanen
Yandle

Streit
Franson
Wideman
Barrie
Green
Faulk

Markov
Chara

Krug
E.Johnson
Brodin
Lindholm
Muzzin
Goligoski
Maata
OEL

Leddy
Dekeyser
Ellis
Garrison
Vlasic
Scandella
Boychuk
Trouba
Ehrhoff
Enstrom
Hamonic
Alzner

Bogosian

Getting tired, but theres some more that are arguable.

And sorry Arsmaster but Edler-Tanev is not a top 3 pairing in the entire NHL.

You would not rather have:

Keith Seabrook
Giordano Brodie
Jbo Pietrangelo

And these are only from the west....

arsmaster*

And sorry Arsmaster but Edler-Tanev is not a top 3 pairing in the entire NHL.

You would not rather have:

Keith Seabrook
Giordano Brodie
Jbo Pietrangelo

And these are only from the west....

Doesn't Keith-Seabrook play softer minutes now?

I thought Oduya-Hjalmarsson are playing some of the tougher minutes.

They're not far off this list if they are, they're a fantastic pairing. I also wouldn't say Tanev is babysitting him, Edler is playing 4 more minutes a game than Tanev. He's steadied Edler but not "babysat" but you're not a Edler fan, so I don't expect to convince you especially when you'd prefer a lot of worse players.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
Edler's gotta be top 10 calibre this season, or damn close to it.

Who you "would take" is not the same thing.

arsmaster*

Edler's gotta be top 10 calibre this season, or damn close to it.

Who you "would take" is not the same thing.

Well he's:

tied for 32nd in goals.
tied for 65th in assists
his +/- is good for 39th
his icetime is good for 18th in the league (24:20)

He plays tough minutes and comes out ahead, so he's probably in the same rank as his icetime suggests, inside the top 20.

THere are plenty of guys who are outscoring him who aren't as good. We're seeing a very good player this season.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I legitimately believe that without exaggeration, Edler has gone from being our worst player to being our best player over the last two years.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Personally, I think Edler's playing better than Tanev this year, but I'd expect Tanev to be better if they were split apart. Not sure if that makes sense

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Personally, I think Edler's playing better than Tanev this year, but I'd expect Tanev to be better if they were split apart. Not sure if that makes sense

Think it's pretty close this season - though I can see an argument to be made for Edler . With Hamhuis back, we don't have to worry about splitting up a combo that is working so well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad